U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM

111 posts, read 392,109 times

Advertisements

Gloucester - GLAW-ster
Dante - Daint
Danville - DAN-vull I have always heard 'villes' pronounced 'vull' (rhymes with wool) but that could just be the company I keep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,153,983 times
Ok for all you Richmond area residents...Jahnke Rd. I know the locals pronounce it Jank (rhymes with Hank) but that just bugs the dickens out of my family as we are German and from Wisconsin originally and Jahnke is a German name. The correct pronunciation is Yahn kee. My sister was the first to move to the area and my parents and I followed and I remember the first time my dad heard my sister say that word (pronouncing it as the locals do)....he looked at her like she was crazy, lol.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 AM

209 posts, read 1,026,115 times
lol
working at a visitor center I can always tell who isn't a native, Staunton is not Staahton but Stan ton

Buena Vista is locally pronounced wrong. But to the locals its Bu nah Vista and not BwAna vista

Glasgow is Glass go and not Glass gal

Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 PM

129 posts, read 419,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
"Staunton" is pronounced "Stanton"
I'd say "Stantin" is more correct.

In the South, the number after nine usually sounds like a metal, not like a color or a weight. The last syllable of Staunton is like that.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,156,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I just spent a few years living in the UK...it was so much fun learning how to say the place names the way the locals pronounce them, especially since many of the places in New England (where I am originally from) are named after the originals, and most often pronounced very differently!

Thanks for the information
I lived there for a couple years in the 80's. Had a ball with the lingo.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM

57 posts, read 196,407 times
Don't forget NOO-pert News!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 PM

45 posts, read 284,179 times
here's one that should be obvious...Fairfax. Fair (color of skin) - Fax (the machine) = Fair-Fax. However, I hear Far (as in far away) - Fax = Far-fax!

My home state is Alaska. We have LOTS of problems. Jueanu, the capital city. It's June (month) - no (yes/no) = June-no. I hear all sorts of wild ones.

As for a persons actual name, my best girlfriend in HS was named Jeanne-Helen Faucheux. She's french. Jeanne (as in Jean-Luke Piccard from Star wars), Helen (like Hell-ene), Faucheux (Faux as in fake fur - shay). Jean-Hell-ene Faux-shay. She'd be called Genie-Helen (common pronunciation) Faux-chex.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

45 posts, read 284,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmommaCA View Post
Don't forget NOO-pert News!
I pronounce it New-port News...I assume that's correct?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,944 times
It's FAWK-YEER... I've grown up there... the people that pronounce it Faw-keer are usually from up north.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 777 times
Staunton is properly prounounced STANT-un.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia