U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm a traveler in the health care industry. I'm looking at taking a 3 month position in either Richmond, VB, or Hampton. I'm traveling with my fiance and dog. My fiance would be without a car during the day (works from home) so a location with cafe's or places to eat would be ideal. We are in our early 30's, very active and enjoy the outdoors. All the posts Ive seen are about families looking for areas with good schools. We just want to be in an area that will be fun to live in for 3 month. I'm really torn between VB and Richmond. Being by the beach would be great, but the size of the city is a little big for me. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM

358 posts, read 1,317,814 times
try va beach, lots of outdoor activities plus the beaches. dont look at the population per say, VA beach is more of an urbanized county like fairfax county or orange county, not a city

Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM

1,684 posts, read 5,669,214 times
I would suggest visiting both if you can to get a feel for the different areas. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

290 posts, read 1,041,053 times
Va Beach population can fool you into thinkin its some big fast paced city, when its really just a HUGE suburb..Va Beach would definitely be much better for you, because Richmond schools are no good and Richmond is depressing. Its like Baltimore with out that added excitement and entertainment/night life.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,146,162 times
I like both cities. Both are good for different reason, but if you're fiance is looking to be able to get around without a car, Richmond would be better for that than VB. But outdoorsy stuff would be better in VB. Got see both and decide for yourself!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,643,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Va Beach population can fool you into thinkin its some big fast paced city, when its really just a HUGE suburb..Va Beach would definitely be much better for you, because Richmond schools are no good and Richmond is depressing. Its like Baltimore with out that added excitement and entertainment/night life.
Did you even read what they are looking for? Schools don't matter to them.

In Richmond, walking distance to Carytown, Shockoe Slip, areas like that would be fun. There's some great public spaces in Richmond, particularly the James River Park System.

Both would offer very different opportunities, but are great in their own ways.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,324 times
I personally think Richmond would be a good choice. The Richmond area is smaller than the Hampton Roads area, is easier to navigate, and has less congestion. You should probably check out the Fan, Museum District/Carytown, or maybe Shockoe Bottom.

Richmond is extremely walkable. I live in the Fan (east of the Boulevard) and walk all over; to Carytown, downtown, the parks/river/rapids, grocery stores, restaurants, shops. Due to the distance, it may take me 20-30mins to walk to some of these places from my apartment (downtown/river), but it is all very easy and connected with plenty of sidewalks and alleyways. Even better the streets throughout the Fan are not too busy with traffic. There should always be some restaurant and shop within a 5min walk though.

You can also enjoy the outdoors in Richmond with the James River and its class IV rapids. There is plenty of beautiful countryside just outside the city.

However, Hampton Roads is a great area as well. If you do want to consider Hampton Roads, maybe you should check out the Ghent area of Norfolk. It's a nice area with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance to homes and apartments, and has walking access to downtown Norfolk. From downtown you can take the ferry over to Olde Town Portsmouth for more exploring.

You really need to visit both before deciding. Norfolk is only a 1.5 hour drive from Richmond, so you could see both in the same day or weekend. I still really enjoy visiting Norfolk and will occasionally take a short trip down there just to have dinner every once and awhile.

Last edited by ptpilot; 03-15-2009 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: update

Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,146,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpilot View Post
I personally think Richmond would be a good choice. The Richmond area is smaller than the Hampton Roads area, is easier to navigate, and has less congestion. You should probably check out the Fan, Museum District/Carytown, or maybe Shockoe Bottom.

Richmond is extremely walkable. I live in the Fan (east of the Boulevard) and walk all over; to Carytown, downtown, the parks/river/rapids, grocery stores, restaurants, shops. Due to the distance, it may take me 20-30mins to walk to some of these places from my apartment (downtown/river), but it is all very easy and connected with plenty of sidewalks and alleyways. Even better the streets throughout the Fan are not too busy with traffic. There should always be some restaurant and shop within a 5min walk though.

You can also enjoy the outdoors in Richmond with the James River and its class IV rapids. There is plenty of beautiful countryside just outside the city.

However, Hampton Roads is a great area as well. If you do want to consider Hampton Roads, maybe you should check out the Ghent area of Norfolk. It's a nice area with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance to homes and apartments, and has walking access to downtown Norfolk. From downtown you can take the ferry over to Olde Town Portsmouth for more exploring.

You really need to visit both before deciding. Norfolk is only a 1.5 hour drive from Richmond, so you could see both in the same day or weekend. I still really enjoy visiting Norfolk and will occasionally take a short trip down there just to have dinner every once and awhile.
I agree with most of this. Richmond, as a whole, is probably more laid back than Virginia Beach, but the Beach has plenty of pockets/neighborhoods that are incredibly laid back - Chicks Beach and the North End of the Oceanfront come to mind first. Just thought I'd add that to your, otherwise 100% correct, post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or