Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 PM

143 posts, read 757,924 times

Advertisements

Where's the best place to purchase moving boxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 24,288 times
Sounds funny (or yucky) but when I moved I collected boxes from local stores. I'd stay away from grocery stores because of roaches though.

I simply asked workers if they had empty boxes and I normally left with all I could fit in my trunk. Sometimes I see ads in the paper too, posted by families who have recently moved and are hoping to resell thier boxes.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,168 times
Check out www.bargainboxes.com. I have heard they are pretty good. You can also go to the grocery store and ask them for boxes before they crush them.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,183 times
Try book stores. Where I use to live, the bookstore would just set the broken down boxes behind the store knowing that people would just take them. Nice, clean sturdy boxes they were.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,186,966 times
If you want new boxes of identical dimension the best place to order them is from Uline.com. They'll stack more efficiently than a random mix of sizes, which may or may not allow you to fit more into a smaller truck.

We bought our last batch from the moving company. Two years later alot are still being used to store stuff in the basement. The rest we've used to ship gifts etc.

Sean

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,272 times
I bought ours from a moving and storage company. I won't use boxes from grocery stores because they can have bugs (silverfish and roaches) in them.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 68,934 times
I just got a bunch today from a Freecycle member. If you haven't heard of Freecycle it is a Listserv that members of a local area join and post items they have or want. It keeps useful stuff from going into landfills. I am giving away my piano rather than move it to a person from Freecyle this week. I have given and taken lots of great stuff in the last year since becoming a member of my local Freecycle Yahoo group. I posted I wanted moving boxes and someone e-mailed me privately they had a bunch. I highly recommend it and they were clean and free.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM

44 posts, read 93,700 times
Default Re: Moving Boxes

Stop at any McDonalds and ask them if they have any boxes you can have. I found their french fry boxes to be the best, but any of the ones they have are very sturdy. The staff is typically very glad to get rid of them because it means they don't have to break them down to put them in the trash. The best time to get them is just before they start serving lunch or dinner and due to the quick turnover I never had a problem with bugs...These were without a doubt the best moving boxes I had...

Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,485 times
I always got mine from grocery stores and I never had any bug problem, but they were also folded down and usually set aside for me, I would consider McDs too! Thankfully most of moves we had were paid fully by my husbands company and we never have to lift a finger! Exceptions... if we move within the same town we had just moved too, did that twice in my life...was not much fun! But sometimes its very necessary!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
If you want new boxes of identical dimension the best place to order them is from Uline.com. They'll stack more efficiently than a random mix of sizes, which may or may not allow you to fit more into a smaller truck.

We bought our last batch from the moving company. Two years later alot are still being used to store stuff in the basement. The rest we've used to ship gifts etc.

Sean
Excellent point, Sean! Boxes of uniform size make loading a truck MUCH easier! (Trust us on this... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia