Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 04:53 PM

14 posts, read 44,324 times

Advertisements

Please help !
I am thinking about relocating to my job's home office which is located in Chevy Chase, MD. As much as I like that area, I really do not want to live there. I am moving from Virginia Beach and would still like to live in Virginia. Could anyone please tell me of DECENT areas to live in the NOVA area that are somewhat close to Chevy Chase? I would like to be near a Metro station if possible, but if it's not I will take that grueling drive to the job. I just know I have to leave about an hour and half to two hours early (depending on where I'm coming from).
My main concern is being in a very nice, SAFE area. I will definitely be renting and would like to pay anywhere from $850 (I know I'm dreaming) up to $1200 a month in rent.

Thanks so much in advance for any help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
There are more people who live in MD/DC and commute to VA than those who live in VA and commute to MD, so you will actually be going against traffic, at least on the Beltway. I live in McLean, and drive everyday to Potomac MD during school drop-off and pick-up hours, and it usually takes about 20 minutes, mostly on the Beltway. It's not at all grueling.
Metro might not be the best option, because you would have to drive to the station, park (if you can find a spot), take a train into DC, and then change trains to head out to Maryland. But if you don't mind that hassle, you could look in the Springfield or Alexandria area. Parts of Arlington may also be in your price range.
If you're willing to drive, check out areas that are as close as possible to the Beltway -- Annandale, Springfield, Burke, Falls Church (Merrifield area near Route 50/Gallows Road exits).

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 84,715 times
Backroads are also an option... I live in Arlington, VA not far from the Chain Bridge. I choose Chain Bridge over the beltway when I want to go to Chevy Chase... Also, it's the quickest way according to Mapquest. You might struggle to find a place in your price range near the Arlington Metro stops. McLean and Falls Church City are also possiblities that would put you close to the beltway or the Chain Bridge alternative (but not typically near metro, unless you're near the East Falls Church stop).

Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Thank you both so much for your help. I will DEFINITELY look in those areas. Actually Falls Church was one of the first areas I was thinking of so I think I'll start there.
Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Backroads are also an option... I live in Arlington, VA not far from the Chain Bridge. I choose Chain Bridge over the beltway when I want to go to Chevy Chase...
Heh-heh-heh. Dalecarlia Parkway? A lovely little secret known (or at least used) by seemingly few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
You might struggle to find a place in your price range near the Arlington Metro stops. McLean and Falls Church City are also possiblities that would put you close to the beltway or the Chain Bridge alternative (but not typically near metro, unless you're near the East Falls Church stop).
Yeah, $1200 a month will leave a lot of places out of reach. Also, while Falls Church proper is all fine, what's known as Falls Church is a lot bigger than what actually is Falls Church, and some of those extra areas aren't so hot. Be a little careful out there...

Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 84,715 times
Yes, if you want to focus on Falls Church City (rather than the larger area of Fairfax County that is called Falls Church), search by zipcode -- 22046.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Ok. Watch out for what they say is Falls Church and what actually IS Falls Church. Got it. It's funny because someone else told me that as well.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Well, Falls Church City itself is incredibly small...only two square miles total. A lot of what's called Falls Church is to the south and west of the city, and if you want to be commuting to Chevy Chase, those are not helpful directions to be going in. You'd rather focus on the city and/or nearby areas in McLean or North Arlington. But if costs in those areas were to force you further away, areas such as Dunn Loring and Tysons might be a better bet than some of the areas that also happen to be called Falls Church...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia