Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in the Outer Banks of NC, and we are thinking about moving to Farmville to be closer to our grown children and our grandchildren. Is the crime low? Are the people friendly? We are looking for a quiet place, not stuffy. We've lived in the city and here at the beach, where it is very laid back. We don't care for city life at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
If you're not necessarily concerned with nightlife/major entertainment, Farmville is a perfectly fine town. I've been plenty of times driving from Raleigh to Charlottesville, the downtown district is very nice and kept up. It was very peaceful, loved it. It's a little like Elon down in North Carolina, a smaller college town with Longwood University.

Farmville seems to be a well kept secret in Virginia. From what I understand, most Virginians don't travel around the southern half of the state too often. Also, and not trying to sound rude, Farmville is kind of "out there" if you know what I mean. I've always found it strange that it doesn't have an interstate passing through, and 460 isn't a big highway at all. I know some people who attend college in Roanoke but live in Richmond, and they take I-81 north and hop on I-64 west of Charlottesville to head home. They don't drive through Lynchburg or Farmville, shouldn't there be a more efficient highway between Roanoke/Lynchburg and Richmond? This is probably hurting Farmville.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I know some people who attend college in Roanoke but live in Richmond, and they take I-81 north and hop on I-64 west of Charlottesville to head home. They don't drive through Lynchburg or Farmville, shouldn't there be a more efficient highway between Roanoke/Lynchburg and Richmond? This is probably hurting Farmville.
Yeah if you "google map" Roanoke to Richmond, it is 24 miles SHORTER (but 11 minutes LONGER) going through Farmville. Of course the interstate from Roanoke to Charlottesville is a gorgeous drive!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I am going to move south for retirement, live in Arlington. Was thinking of Farmville first but lately have been focusing on Staunton. I know Staunton is more populated but are there similarities between the two?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I am going to move south for retirement, live in Arlington. Was thinking of Farmville first but lately have been focusing on Staunton. I know Staunton is more populated but are there similarities between the two?
Not really IMO. Like you've pointed out, Farmville is smaller. Also, Farmville is more of a Piedmont town while Staunton is mountainous. I like Farmville, but Staunton has a better location being on I-81. It would be easier to swing up to NOVA from Staunton for any reason. As I pointed out earlier, Farmville is kind of in the middle of nowhere. There's barely anything to the south between Farmville and Raleigh/Durham.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM

97 posts, read 188,803 times
Farmville and Staunton are very different. Staunton is a "mountain" city in the Blue Ridge. It is also larger. It's got a nice little downtown. There's a decent amount to do. Beautiful scenery is abundant (I think Augusta County where Staunton is located vies with Shenandoah County as the prettiest counties in Virginia). However, I would give you a warning about Staunton that may or may not be a big deal to you. It's definitely short on retail offerings. Not to say that it doesn't offer the necessities, but it doesn't have a lot of options. Now, if you don't mind driving, Charlottesville is about 35 minutes east of town and Harrisonburg's about 30 minutes to the north of Staunton, so those should fill most of your retail needs beyond Staunton's offerings.

Farmville, as JayJayCB writes, is more of a "piedmont" town that one might consider more "Southern" than Staunton's "mountain" culture. It's definitely a college town (Longwood and Hampen-Sydney are there). I don't think it offers as many cultural happenings as Staunton's downtown. Whereas Staunton has great mountain views, Farmville's strength is probably in its role as an idealic, "charming", small "Southern" college town. However, I agree with JayJayCB...it is isolated. Lynchburg's about 50 minutes to the west, Richmond is about an hour and five minutes to the east, and Charlottesville is about an hour and ten minutes to the north. If you want isolation in retirement, Farmville's great. But if you're thinking...I want a small town, but also want to have good retail/arts/restaurant scene within a reasonable driving distance, I'd think Staunton would be better.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Thanks RV and Jay for info.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAbornandbred View Post
Farmville and Staunton are very different. Staunton is a "mountain" city in the Blue Ridge. It is also larger. It's got a nice little downtown. There's a decent amount to do. Beautiful scenery is abundant (I think Augusta County where Staunton is located vies with Shenandoah County as the prettiest counties in Virginia). However, I would give you a warning about Staunton that may or may not be a big deal to you. It's definitely short on retail offerings. Not to say that it doesn't offer the necessities, but it doesn't have a lot of options. Now, if you don't mind driving, Charlottesville is about 35 minutes east of town and Harrisonburg's about 30 minutes to the north of Staunton, so those should fill most of your retail needs beyond Staunton's offerings.

Farmville, as JayJayCB writes, is more of a "piedmont" town that one might consider more "Southern" than Staunton's "mountain" culture. It's definitely a college town (Longwood and Hampen-Sydney are there). I don't think it offers as many cultural happenings as Staunton's downtown. Whereas Staunton has great mountain views, Farmville's strength is probably in its role as an idealic, "charming", small "Southern" college town. However, I agree with JayJayCB...it is isolated. Lynchburg's about 50 minutes to the west, Richmond is about an hour and five minutes to the east, and Charlottesville is about an hour and ten minutes to the north. If you want isolation in retirement, Farmville's great. But if you're thinking...I want a small town, but also want to have good retail/arts/restaurant scene within a reasonable driving distance, I'd think Staunton would be better.

RV... what sort of retail are you talking about? What I use and have researched online for locations are Petsmart, Walgreens, Target, grocery stores... like Martin's. They aren't all in Staunton but are in Waynesboro which isn't far. I do some online shopping which probably would continue.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 PM

97 posts, read 188,803 times
brava,

As you've found, Staunton doesn't have a Target. Its mall is really poor (I have read before that the locals are frustrated with it). I think the city is trying to recruit more retail, but I am not certain how those efforts are going. I don't know where you shop for groceries, but if you don't like Food Lion or Kroger, you can go to Waynesboro's Martin's or Charlottesville's Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

Obviously, retail's importance is something that is individualized. It may not be your biggest concern. As for me, I like the convenience of having a Target and Whole Foods close by, but to each his own.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Just went from Lynchburg to Farmville to shop for furniture. Just a short hour drive and easy on 460. Nice small town. But would miss the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia