Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 25,922 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Farmville, Virginia for a work, and I must say this little town has many great attributes. It could definetly use additional growth, but it is moving in the right direction. I think with the addition of a couple of nice restaurants and a few more cultural events this could be one of America's next great small towns...especially for retirees. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 32,516 times
Default I think Farmville *is* a "jewel in the rough"

I agree completely with you, robsworld, and made a post here a few months ago to that effect. Moving, like you, from another place to Farmville, I have a different perspective than a lot of "townies," who know all the bad things, old feuds, etc. -- but they don't understand that a place like Farmville looks a lot like Mayberry to people tired of relentless traffic and no "sense of place."

The restaurants and other things are slowly coming, as you say, though the current economic slowdown has hit the town. Like you, I look forward to a lot of retirees coming over the next 10 years - they should have steady, if not huge, income and will want to be able to shop and eat in town rather than drive to Richmond or Lynchburg.

There are two new (small) restaurants coming to Mid Town Square, according to the Farmville Herald.

Having Longwood U., Hampden-Sydney College, and Centra Southside Hospital here -- all of which are doing well -- guarantees that Farmville will continue to attract both young and older people to the area. And Green Front and the other downtown furniture/antique shops will, I hope, continue to bring day-shoppers to the area.

The Hampton Inn is reportedly at 90% occupancy at all times, and the Herald just reported last week that another hotel may be built on the edge of the golf resort property. That's in addition to the Holiday Inn Express that is supposed to be built near the others off US 460. (The Town of Farmville has a 6% lodging tax, so all the overnight stays provide revenue to allow the Town to continue sprucing-up.)

The new library building is going up on Wilck's Lake, and the Town will extend the Dogwood Trail to the library.

As I noted in my earlier post, you can visit FarmvilleDirectory.com for listings of local shops/businesses, and leave reviews there, too. I found they've got a Twitter account (@Farmville_VA) too.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 AM

39 posts, read 84,145 times
oh yes it's probially the best town you've never heard of, but i hate going to richmond for anything i mean the place just makes my skin crawl.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Farmville has a beautiful small downtown area. I think most people bypass this town and just stop at the fast food places along the highway and they don't drive into downtown. There seems to be ample parking at all of the shops. Maybe the town should put up more signs along Highway 460 to bring more people downtown. I know how small towns work though, many of the locals know they live in a nice place and they want to keep it that way. If you want more excitement go to Lynchburg or Richmond!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
"If you want more excitement go to Lynchburg or Richmond!"

Now that's a first. ;-)

Old 04-23-2009, 02:18 PM

104 posts, read 303,184 times
Farmville's boring

Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 25,922 times
I'd agree, if you are looking for a trendy scene, Farmville probably isn't the place for you, but for those who are looking for a quiet, more traditional way of life this is a great place. Its a great place for young families to raise kids or older folks to retire. If you enjoy community/church activities, hunting, fishing, continuing education, golf, walking/hiking trails, gardening...etc. Your kids can play sports, build a fort in the woods, get a dirt bike and build a jump...maybe a good way to get them away from the tv and xbox...If you have any imagination and don't need a bunch of bars and restaurants to define your lifestyle then check out Farmville!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
If you want more excitement go to Lynchburg or Richmond!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,688 times
Considering moving there, are their nice (meaning average/middle class affordable) equine/horse friendly homes to rent? Also what is the summer and winter like weather like (at its best and worst?)

Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Farmville may not be the coolest place on the planet for 20 and 30ish folks but it may be ideal for retired folks seeking refuge from crime ridden cities, high real estate taxes and traffic malaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia