U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 AM

23 posts, read 59,904 times
Default Trying to escape CA

Looking at the Smith Mountain Lake area, can any one give me information on expected utility costs? We are planning a visit in June (after the kids are out of school) to do some house hunting. California is getting too crazzzzy.

Thanks,

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,313,124 times
Hey Bill, this is Sean. I own a 128 acre horse farm in Franklin County, about 30 minutes from the lake. Utility costs relative to California are very low here in Franklin County. However, there has recently been a 25% rate increase that has been imposed on an interim basis by AEP while the state considers whether to allow the increase or grant only a portion of the requested increase. The increase is a significant jump, but AEP wasn't allowed to raise rates for EIGHT YEARS so once the moratorium expired they opted to jump rates by 25%. I suspect they won't be granted the entire increase request. Perhaps a 12.5% increase with a more measured increase over a certain number of years.

AEP needs the cash to build a new 138 kV transmission line to the Westlake area of SML. Franklin County is the fastest growing region in AEP's entire service area with regard to electricity demand so the new line needs to be built immediately in order to meet expected demand.

Still, electric rates remain low relative to many other states.

But you're probably asking about the general utility costs (electricity for heating/cooling, water etc). I can't be much help with that because we've got a rather large carbon footprint for a "residential" customer. But I'll give you an overview for what it's worth. We've got a 7,000 square foot house w/ four electric Puron heat pumps and forced central air. Each heat pump has an electric backup that kicks in when the outside air drops much below 35F. All of our appliances are electric. We have a two person home office and I have a dedicated mini-server room in my basement so three PCs are running pretty much 24/7. We have a 10 stall barn, a storage barn and an indoor riding arena w/ 18 HID lamps. Three rooms in the barns are heated with electric in-wall heaters. The 18 HID lamps require about 4,000 watts of power when they're running, which during the winter is several hours a day. We have a well w/ an electric 1HP pump and we and the animals combined use alot of water. During the summer our electric costs for everything (house, offices, barns) will be around $300/mo. During the winter around $750/mo. In reality these are to me surprisingly low considering our usage.

Sean

Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 59,904 times
Thanks Sean, very helpful. We average about 750/month for a 5000sqft all electric house in So Cal.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,508,559 times
in NOVA we average $300/month for gas/elecrtic. 2500sqft house.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:27 AM

238 posts, read 12,525 times
Erm...just a suggestion: Have you considered installing a turbine or solar panels on your property? It would certainly help you save money plus the environment. Win-win!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,313,124 times
Solar is certainly an option for us once we have higher priority projects done and out of the way. Boones Mill is sunny just about 3 out of 4 days of the year and we've got great southern exposure on several barns.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: