Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 AM

53 posts, read 250,868 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to Virginia and was wondering if anyone can point me to a web site that has the school rankings or grades? I know here in Florida, each school is given a letter grade, so they are fairly easy to compare. Do they do the same in VIrginia? Also do the students take a standardized test each year? Here in Florida it is called the FCAT- Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

I like this one because it gives you all of the data available.

Here's a link for Virginia's SOL test too http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Parents/parentshandbook.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by DavidS827; 03-28-2007 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
greatschools.net is a good website But for Loudoun some the rating aren't updated and came out the first year the schools were open.

Go to the US chamber of commerce site for report cards on all states.
http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

I think you will find VA surpass Fl by a long shot.

VA schools have had a long history of excellence. Fairfax county has been one of the top preforming US school districts for a long time. Loudoun schools are starting to "nip" at Fairfax's heels. South near Fredricksburg the schools are very good as well. I think you will have to search harder to find a "poorer preforming" school in VA verses FL.

YES, VA gives STATE standarized tests call the VA SOL.

Of all the US states VA testing is 8th highest for rigor of standards. (top 25% verses FL which is below 50%---meaning 1/2 of the US states have more rigorous tests thanthe state of FL)

Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM

53 posts, read 250,868 times
Thank you very much for the responses! It will give me the ability to compare things much easier.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
You can also try www.SchoolMatters.com if you want to compare/ research schools in Virginia or any other state.
It allows you to compare schools within a state in a spreadsheet.
I have found it very helpful for my clients to use who are looking to move to Virginia.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 PM

10 posts, read 69,725 times
Default School Rankings

A website I found helpful is www.greatschools.net

Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
greatschools.net is a good website But for Loudoun some the rating aren't updated and came out the first year the schools were open.

Go to the US chamber of commerce site for report cards on all states.
http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

I think you will find VA surpass Fl by a long shot.

VA schools have had a long history of excellence. Fairfax county has been one of the top preforming US school districts for a long time. Loudoun schools are starting to "nip" at Fairfax's heels. South near Fredricksburg the schools are very good as well. I think you will have to search harder to find a "poorer preforming" school in VA verses FL.

YES, VA gives STATE standarized tests call the VA SOL.

Of all the US states VA testing is 8th highest for rigor of standards. (top 25% verses FL which is below 50%---meaning 1/2 of the US states have more rigorous tests thanthe state of FL)
It's too bad noone in Fairfax can speak English.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Actually, the vast majority of people in Fairfax speaks perfectly good English. Many speak one or more other langauges quite well also. In fact, we are one of the most linguistically accomplished areas in the nation. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. Some people here cannot speak English, and some can speak only English. This is unfortunate for both groups...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia