U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM

926 posts, read 2,139,880 times

Advertisements

Lynchburg is doing very well in job growth. The quiet and hidden nuclear industry is booming and bringing many engineers to the area. I have a tenant who works at one of the firms and he is working overtime all the time. The medical centers are growing as are the local colleges including Liberty. With Falwell Sr. gone I think LU will become even more moderate in outlook as they want to grow to 20,000 students which means 100's of new faculty coming to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM

There must be something good going on because it's one of a few areas in Va where property values are still going up, job growth is strong, and the unemployment rate low. I worked at a place many people in town came to visit and I never heard or saw any redneck activity.

The Burg also has much less crime than Roanoke.

Why is Roanoke so dangerous? - Roanoke.com

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 59,318 times
My two sons are in two different elementary schools here in Lynchburg, and I've been very happy with both schools. A word of advice, though, if you have a child who requires special education, make sure you get him or her into the correct school in the first place. My older son was traumatized by his three days at a school which was not equipped to handle his educational needs. (My other son has done quite well at that same school.) My younger son is at Sheffield Elementary, and my older son is at Bedford Hills.

The people here are nice, but not overly friendly, and if you don't have a church or go to bars, its pretty nearly impossible to have any kind of social life.

Crime is pretty low, but I lock my doors here. I never did that where I lived before.

I would say that racism isn't a problem so much as classism. There is a huge divide here between rich and poor.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

67 posts, read 257,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
I worked at a place many people in town came to visit and I never heard or saw any redneck activity.
Ehe...were was this? I see "redneck activity" everyere I go exept maybe Barnes & Noble or when I visit Boonsboro.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,269,137 times
The unemployment rate is not low. Most people without a job are not registred as unemploymed I work with social services. I fail to see what makes Lynchburg so great. Most of the whole town is a slum and "outsiders" can't get a job unless their are hired by an out of state Human Resources departmen. Lynchburg has been behind in so many ways. Now it is catching up. This is just like Equador, they are catching up too but I have no interest in moving there as of today.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,146,329 times
Default Roanoke crime

[quote=badger74;2434013]There must be something good going on because it's one of a few areas in Va where property values are still going up, job growth is strong, and the unemployment rate low. I worked at a place many people in town came to visit and I never heard or saw any redneck activity.

The Burg also has much less crime than Roanoke.

Why is Roanoke so dangerous? - Roanoke.com

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

You are bringing up a story from early 2006! Roanoke had only 4 murders in 2007! To the person who said Lynchburg was "economically distressed" that is also incorrect. As the economy falters in '08 I expect to see much more crime in Roanoke & Lynchburg!!

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Murder is a SMALL part of the crime rate. Most people worry more about robberies, burglary, car theft etc. Roanoke's rates are about twice Lynchburg's. That's a fact.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 AM

As I drove to work this morning I was thinking about this place. I drive 460 and then exit onto Campbell Ave, I follow Campbell Ave and take of at Lynchburg University of Virginia (what is that place....is it really a school, or??) and then up towards the hospital. Is this a city were the economy is good??

I understand that you love Lynchburg, but if the economy was so good, shouldn’t this be a nice place? Most of Lynchburg is very worn down.
Sure Lynchburg is improving, but it is still behind the times in most aspects of modern western society.
I hope you do not think I am a trouble maker. You seem to be a very nice and intelligent person. What I have a problem with is the hype of Lynchburg. I think we need to have a balanced view of Lynchburg and except it for what it is. Lynchburg is a small super conservative town with plenty of confederate flag waiving and Bible thumping. Old boy network is in full effect in terms of finding jobs. Sure if one already has money and can live in a part of town that is more balanced in terms of political views and religion (When I moved here I had to listen to people who honestly thought the US invading France would be a good idea. To me, that sounds insane!!! There is no way else to put it. That is not what America is about.) That house prices are not in the same distress as other regions is due to that Lynchburg has been so behind in many ways that even if the prices here starts to dramatically fall, very few will have lost money in the long run.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 AM

You are driving through the pooerst part of town. Yes that area is not very desirable--neither is the southside of Chicago, the Bronx, South central LA and lots of other slums. There are many nice middleclass areas just south of Lynchburg College and most anywhere west of Fort Ave. and Hollins Mill Rd. That's about 2/3 of the city are plus you have all the nice suburban areas of Forest and Bedford County.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
You are driving through the pooerst part of town. Yes that area is not very desirable--neither is the southside of Chicago, the Bronx, South central LA and lots of other slums. There are many nice middleclass areas just south of Lynchburg College and most anywhere west of Fort Ave. and Hollins Mill Rd. That's about 2/3 of the city are plus you have all the nice suburban areas of Forest and Bedford County.
Well, I would change the numbers that is about 1/3 of the town. Most of were I go in Lynchburg things look like they do along Campbell Ave..and I do drive around Lynchburg quite a bit. Many areas look much worse. I agree most of Forest is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia