U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 09:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,298,556 times

Advertisements

Eastli84: Yep, that's the one! And, yes, it's huge!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but when traveling to NC last week we seen alot of three large crosses. They were grouped, two white crosses, one on each side of a taller yellow cross. Does this have a particular meaning ?

Thanks, Bill
My black coworker told me it symbolizes the Kkk's presence.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,127 times
My black coworker says it's the KKK letting others know their present out there.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,502,096 times
What a wonderful story. I wish we could here more of these kinds of stories in the news.

I don't know about the KKK reference. Seems to me that it would be strange to put up three crosses that remind people of Jesus a lot more than racism and the KKK. Plus, who in their right mind wouldn't have taken the crosses down years ago if that was the case? There would be major protests if they left up and that was the reason. And they wouldn't be all over the U.S. and in two foreign countries.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,766,774 times
Default Three Crosses . . .

This is an interesting story. Thanks for sharing with us.

As far as a KKK reference, I thought their symbol was one (1) burning cross? The crosses are not on fire, right? They are most like, as everyone mentioned, relevant to the Bible/Jesus.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,316 times
Great ?, thanks for the link. Are we agreeing then; that the blue is so pale it appears white?

Big crosses? Don't forget about the Mojave Desert memorial. It's not as physically big as some of these other ones, but it has been commenmorating the sacrifice of World War I veterans 70+ years.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM

305 posts, read 400,464 times
Realize this is an old thread but here goes. The Joel Osteen Church out in Texas is said to be the largest church in the country and they do not have any cross symbols in their church.
Just like # 13 said, some people have a very different impression. How terrible if many who travel these highways see the oversized crosses and think that it is the modern white man's way of putting up a warning to blacks [ a kkk symbol ] that it is still a white mans world.
On the other hand several responders didn't seem to know what to make of the three crosses. There may well be other ways to communicate the purpose and meaning of Christ's life that would speak more clearly to modern man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia