Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM

35 posts, read 143,945 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other posters who recommended Abingdon. It is indeed quaint, and without trying to chase the concept, like a Charlottesville, et.al. Nothing against C-ville, but really, the housing prices there are astronomical compared to most other places, and the ratio of 'posers' is way too high for my tastes.

Anyway, Abingdon is a small town - approx 7800 people, and has a definite flair. Not only do you have the Appalachian Trail very nearby (12 miles away in Damascus), but you have the Va Creeper Trail - a converted rail track that is now a walking/biking path of 34 miles from Abingdon to White Top, Va. Not too hard for people of any age to enjoy, but still, a very relaxing hike through real countryside.

You've also got the Barter Theatre, the State theatre of Va, where there are two plays simultaneously going all through the year. they probably do about 12-15 plays total, most of them run for about two months each. You've got the historic effect of a downtown that originated well over 200 years ago, complete with brick sidewalks, and friendly shops everywhere.

You've got a thriving arts/crafts community that is well represented by the William King Arts Center and the Art Depot, which is a base for arts/crafts studios of local artisans. You've got almost a festival/fair every month of the year. A spring garden show(Abingdon Garden Faire), a home & garden tour, a walking festival of crafts(Plumb Alley Day), the Va Highland Festival of crafts, the Mistletoe Market for Christmas, another craft show at the community center, a few walks for charity, Appalachian Trail days in nearby Damascus, and on and on. There is almost ALWAYS something going on that attracts tourism.

That doesn't even include the summer concerts in the town park (every Saturday night) where you can bring a lawn chair and enjoy free music and wholesome small town living. There are the requisite holiday parades, the Farmer's Market (a new one is being built to accomodate demand), the local support of youth athletics, etc. Also, a new Arts/Crafts Center is being built next door to the local community college (a private liberal arts college - Emory & Henry - is located ten miles northeast of Abingdon).

You can live in Abingdon, and it encompasses a wide variety of lifestyles, especially for SW Va and for 'Small town Southern Living'. You've got rednecks, rural southerners, the artsy community, crafts people, the hippie factor, pretty much everything you could see in a big city, only concentrated in this small community.

And for the record, yes, people still pull over to the side of the road and stop for funeral processions. Nobody uses their car horn, instead, they all wave and motion - 'No, YOU go first, I don't mind!' people mean it when they say - 'How are you?' and 'Have a nice day!'

Abingdon has cultural activities, and they have the quaintness so many people seek. They have shopping opportunities - if not from the independent small businesses/restasurants in town, then from the franchise restaurants & big box retailers located ten miles away in Bristol.

I'd suggest spending a weekend among all these towns that people have mentioned to you. When you visit Abingdon, you'll love it, I guarantee.

(No, I'm not a realtor or civic person, I just love my hometown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times
Are there any tennis clubs in the quaint towns that have been discussed?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM

41 posts, read 118,361 times
Default Abingdon

I second, third everything mentioned about Abingdon. We visited several times and love that town and the surrounding areas of Washington, Scott, SMith and Wise.

We have scoured VA, first Northern and we ruled that out, as we want small town feel, good demographics, near an area of growth.

The Tri-Cities, about 30-40 minutes away is growing, Johnson City, Bristol, Kingsport, and we don't mind a commute if we can get land and a home in Small Town America . . .

We wanted culture, arts, a sense of community, good sports . . . this area has it.

We wanted nice dining, good food shopping, and we were amazed at the cleanliness of the supermarkets as well as the good quality food in the area.

We wanted good healthcare, lower taxes, good school system, this area has that.

For visiting, or relocation I believe for the money, and for the quality of life, this is the area to be.

When we compared Roanoke, Charlottesville to the Tri-Cities area which is very close to Abingdon, we pick Washington County hands down.

Not to mention, if you like boating, fishing or golf . . . we are enthusiasts and of all 3, this area is hard to beat.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA2125 View Post
When we compared Roanoke, Charlottesville to the Tri-Cities area which is very close to Abingdon, we pick Washington County hands down. Not to mention, if you like boating, fishing or golf . . . we are enthusiasts and of all 3, this area is hard to beat.
Uh, I love Abingdon too but the boating, fishing and golf capital of Virginia is Franklin and Bedford County surrounding Smith Mountain Lake. The Abingdon area is almost like Roanoke "lite" with respect to those three activities. The Roanoke metro area, which includes the quaint town of Rocky Mount, VA has three substantial lakes and a vast number of fishable rivers and creeks. Boating is a big deal on SML as the recent article in the New York Times nicely illustrates. Golf is a big deal too (Golf Roanoke Valley Virginia - Golf the Blue Ridge Mountains - Roanoke Valley Golf Vacations).

Abingdon real estate is not a steal because it is a highly desirable place for retirees. In fact the median price for houses in the MLS right now in Abingdon is $215K. For comparison, it's $187K for Roanoke, and $240K for the Boones Mill zip code (where I live, the higher price is partly reflective of increased acreage offered with rural properties).

Hope this helps somewhat. I'm not getting down on Abingdon - it's a great area! Virginia is riddled with wonderful and quaint towns. Hopefully more of us small town residents keep joining here and sharing more info!

Sean

Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Sean, you are right about the fishing being great in Smith Mountain Lake.

Our family loved Rocky Mount, Bedford, Salem, but we must have had a bad realtor.

I need to do some research. In February when we stayed in your area for about a week, we loved Rocky Mount, but couldn't find anything in our price range, and found more out near the tri-cities.

I'd be interested in checking out the real estate market there again, I just thought it was higher than Washington County and those surrounding areas.

Thanks for the info, I am going to research further.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
I'd look again, there wasn't much inventory in February but there seems to be more now. You may have had a bad realtor though. You're almost better off here getting a small realtor who isn't affiliated with a big brokerage. Or better yet, if you haven't already, check into Search Franklin County, Rocky Mount, Smith Mountain Lake Real Estate Listings For Sale they seem to focus on Franklin County and that MIGHT have had an influence on your realtor. For example, a L&F realtor might want to show you L&F only homes in order to hog the commission. If you get a local operation like MountaintoLake they might not be as hung up on that, and would then act as the buyers agent on property listed by other firms. Just a thought.

Sean

Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
What is the name of dam not too far from Bristol? There is a beautiful park there for picnics and hiking too. Many people take their boats out in the lake there and go fishing and waterskiing. I have seen many houseboats there too. It is a beautiful area and not too far from Abingdon - maybe a 45 minutes drive?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:58 PM

The dam I think you are speaking of is South Holston Dam and Lake right in Bristol.

Sean, thanks for the link. You are RIGHT, there was a limited market when we went, I saved the link you posted on my favorites.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 42,230 times
Did you ever come up with an answer? We are looking for the same place!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I just moved to AZ from Fredericksburg.

There is a ton of shopping, and very quaint.

However, if I had stayed, Alexandria was my next move. A lot of shopping in old town, plus eating and drinking opportunities. I like the urban atmosphere.

Having said that, if you don't rely on very close proximity to DC for whatever reason, the Fredericksburg, VA area is pretty nice. Very quaint in many ways, and has a lot of options in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia