Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 62,542 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've been all over the net, We have checked out Marysville, Knoxville, Johnson City and now we're thinking of the Bristol area. My wife grew up there when she was quite young. How's the Va side vs the Tn side. Any information would be appreciated home prices, property taxes, stuff like that.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
Hi there. I just want to tell you not to feel slighted if no one answers this post. I asked the same question about three weeks a go and it seems not very many members are familiar with the Bristol area. The last time I was in the area was about three years ago. Abingdon, the city about 20 mins north of there, is a quaint little spot. I've spent only a brief time in Bristol. I'm sorry, but I only have information that I have gotten from books and websites- nothing firsthand. I hope someone will respond here, as we are interested in more firsthand knowledge of the area as well. Good Luck to you!

Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,078 times
Smile Small Town near Bristol

Hi, I grew up in Chilhowie, VA... not too far from Bristol. I loved the area. If you want small town life with a small commute to work you might think of there to settle. Land is priced great and the population is very small. Great school system... in fact i went to school with a lady who is now a teacher there. But Bristol itself is very nice. I like the VA side but not much difference. If you want to live near more and be only a few minutes away from everything then you would want to stay in town. If you have any specific questions, I have a friend who lives there.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,078 times
hey i live in richlands va about an hour from bristol, i go to bristol alot visting friends. I think it is a very nice place with lots of wonderful friendly people.The va vs tn is that taxes in tn are alot higher than the va side, food tax, property tax, all taxes. If you have not already moved i wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM

86 posts, read 333,650 times
dolamiti; You may want to post on the TN forum as well as the VA forum for information on Bristol. Bristol is a "twin city" on the border. Sales tax is higher in TN but TN has no income tax, so the tax situation is a little complicated. There is a large shopping center located on the VA side near I-81 Exit 7 where shoppers can take advantage of the lower sales tax. You may want to check with realtors to see what is available on both sides and factor in the impact of taxes for your situation.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 32,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattylin View Post
hey i live in richlands va about an hour from bristol, i go to bristol alot visting friends. I think it is a very nice place with lots of wonderful friendly people.The va vs tn is that taxes in tn are alot higher than the va side, food tax, property tax, all taxes. If you have not already moved i wish you the best of luck.

Hello there, Not to highjack this thread but i thought it was neat there is someone else here from Richlands.. I am in Doran!

P.s. Cant wait to MOVE OUT OF HERE!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,974 times
Smile Bristol

This thread is a little old, but I thought i'd reply anyway. I think Bristol is a great place for someone to consider. It's close to everything - Johnson City, Kingsport - but still "Country", ya know?

I almost wish I moved to Bristol when I moved here 3 years ago...
Instead, I moved to the Richlands area. I go to Bristol about any time I get a chance.

If you want to talk to more locals, and get a better idea of what the area is like, check out a local MSN group called "SWVA Locals".

swvalocals : SWVA_Locals

Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattylin View Post

Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax though and Virginia does. I guess it all equals out.

I am interested in Richlands. Do you get bad flooding there?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax though and Virginia does. I guess it all equals out.

I am interested in Richlands. Do you get bad flooding there?
KewGee, no, Richlands doesn't have too many flooding problems, at least not compared to some surrounding towns. A flood that does any kind of damage may come along every 5-10 years, and the damage is minimal at that.

Richlands has its ups and downs. On the plus side, it's one of the largest towns in southwest va. The town itself has about 5-6,000. When you include the adjacent towns of Cedar Bluff, Claypool Hill, and Raven the population shoots up to 10,000+. Richlands, Cedar Bluff, Claypool Hill and Raven are all served by Richlands High School so it's all considered the same area. It's about an hour from Bluefield, WV and Bristol, TN, which have plenty (by plenty I mean more the other area towns) of shopping and things of the like. However, Richlands does have a little commercial side, too. The Claypool Hill Mall is nearby which has a decent movie theatre and a department store or two. Richlands is more known for its industry, mainly with the coal mines, which there is a plethora of jobs in that field. Also, the school system isn't too bad. RHS has decent academics and above average athletics (state champion football team) and other extracurricular activities. Also, Southwest Virginia Community College is in town which has an enrollemnt of 2-3,000.

On the downside, it has the same problems and any other town in the area: Low average income, high unemployment rate, and somewhat of a narcotics problem. However, the crime rate has been dropping of the last 5 years or so.

When looking for a place to live in SWVA Richlands is no worse than any other town, but not much better either.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,794 times
Default Been to Bristol numerous times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolamiti View Post
Hello all,
I've been all over the net, We have checked out Marysville, Knoxville, Johnson City and now we're thinking of the Bristol area. My wife grew up there when she was quite young. How's the Va side vs the Tn side. Any information would be appreciated home prices, property taxes, stuff like that.
Ron
I just got back from Bristol, unfortunately for a death in the family. It is a great place. My mom lived there for almost 17 years. My youngest sister went to High School there. It is a great little country town to live in. There are so many nice towns around too to visit but Bristol is quiet enough. The poeple there are so nice and friendly. My mom had a lot of friends there and was so well known in the community that any other info you need, I could get for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia