U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,088 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone...

I have been looking for a place to relocate to in various places on the East Coast. My daughter lives in the DC area. So, I am starting in Virginia, first. I have been researching various places and need to live in an area where the real estate prices are still reasonable...affordable. I am spoiled because I lived in some lovely areas of the country including Portland, Oregon and Austin, Texas. (Now both overpriced and congested, unfortunately.)

Some of the places that look interesting are Lexington, Roanoke and Lynchburg...though the last two are a bit off-putting because of the crime stats.(If this is exagerrated...let me know and make suggestions nearby?) Charlottesville was promising, until I saw the real estate prices! I am looking for a place that is mid-sized, possibly a university/college nearby and somewhat cultural and open-minded city. I suppose I still envision a larger Mayberry with a Starbucks.

My needs: a good bookstore, interesting artsy people, easy commute (even if long) to DC, a college nearby, low real estate prices, real downtown area, and good shopping (for me that means JoAnne Fabrics and Michael's) and maybe some good antique shops. Is there a place like New Hope, Pa (when it was undiscovered) anywhere in/near Virginia?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Last edited by Jounima; 04-05-2007 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Had to clarify a point....thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM

213 posts, read 917,493 times
price range would help.
the housing market in the college towns like Charlottesville and Willimasburg probably out of your reach. A lot of small rural areas still have OK prices - unfortunately they aren't artsy, college towns. I wish someplace had it all!!

what about halfway between DC and Richmond, or Harrisonburg country areas?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 36,171 times
Default Abingdon?

Abingdon,VA sounds perfect for you.It has a lot of history, has an art museum, The Barter State Theatre,lots of antique stores,is relatively small, is close to colleges in Bristol and Johnson City and others. You might want to check it out.It is a place that I love to visit.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,110,879 times
I reccomend Charlottesville. It is a bit of a drive from DC but doeable. Roughly under 2 hours. Plus it has a beautiful view of the blue ridge mountains. Great live music scene and creative energy. The only downside it is that sometimes it feels overrun by the college students.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 723,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jounima View Post
Hello Everyone...

I have been looking for a place to relocate to in various places on the East Coast. My daughter lives in the DC area. So, I am starting in Virginia, first. I have been researching various places and need to live in an area where the real estate prices are still reasonable...affordable. I am spoiled because I lived in some lovely areas of the country including Portland, Oregon and Austin, Texas. (Now both overpriced and congested, unfortunately.)

Some of the places that look interesting are Lexington, Roanoke and Lynchburg...though the last two are a bit off-putting because of the crime stats.(If this is exagerrated...let me know and make suggestions nearby?) Charlottesville was promising, until I saw the real estate prices! I am looking for a place that is mid-sized, possibly a university/college nearby and somewhat cultural and open-minded city. I suppose I still envision a larger Mayberry with a Starbucks.

My needs: a good bookstore, interesting artsy people, easy commute (even if long) to DC, a college nearby, low real estate prices, real downtown area, and good shopping (for me that means JoAnne Fabrics and Michael's) and maybe some good antique shops. Is there a place like New Hope, Pa (when it was undiscovered) anywhere in/near Virginia?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions
If you're willing to live a bit outside town, then there is a lot of reasonable real-estate near Charlottesville. As another poster mentioned, you should post the price range you might be able to afford. Even within Charlottesville, or just outside its borders, there are affordable lots. It really depends on what you're interested in. Charlottesville's Belmont neighborhood, which has admittedly skyrocketed in value over the past few years, still has some value in it and is very close to its famed downtown mall.

In your shoes, I wouldn't bother looking anywhere except Charlottesville. I don't know about JoAnne Fabrics, but I've shopped at the Michael's there, so I know they've got that . . .

The only caveat is that many people may feel like outsiders if they are not somehow affiliated with the university. However, it's the university that provides the culture to the town.

Check out google maps (or other) to get a feel for the layout of the neighboring communities. You will find cheaper housing on "29 south" or on route 29, south of I-64. It's beautiful country there, and I mean COUNTRY! It gets quiet very fast. You can go 10 minutes down the road, find something very affordable, and still be right next to town. All the traffic in town (for now) is on the north side of C'Ville. There's no traffic (I've never ever even seen "traffic" on 29 south all the way to Lynchburg) on 29 south.

Other communities to take a gander at that are close to CVille and relatively affordable:

North Garden
Scottsville
Palmyra
Louisa
Waynesboro
Stuart's Draft

For more information on Charlottesville, see this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...sville-vi.html

best of luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 108,143 times
Harrisonburg has culture and coffee and reasonable prices. Eastern Mennonite University and James Madison University are there. You can see mountains, and there's plenty of agriculture, old and new neighborhoods, lots of opportunities for community involvement.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 AM

359 posts, read 1,696,098 times
Richmond is very culturally diverse; arts, ethnic restaurants, parks, awesome downtown, much MUCH more affordable than Charlottesville. But maybe bigger than what you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:12 PM

11,230 posts, read 19,683,635 times
How about Shepherdstown, West Virginia? It has a college, quaint shops, and is close to DC.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 AM

738 posts, read 3,561,145 times
Fredericksburg is a great mid-sized town, with a lot fo shopping, and things to do. It's also only an hour to an hour and a half drive to DC (during non-rushhour)

Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,888 times
Default Blacksburg might suit you

Blacksburg is a beautiful place, picturesque. Roanoke is 40 mins drive, Richmond is 2.5 hrs, DC is about 4 hrs. It is a quiet and awesome place. Full of energy, young and old, friendly and smiling always. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia