U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM

213 posts, read 917,790 times

Advertisements

Pa/Looking - if you are referring to the "rumor" situation in Wellington the developer did NOT say he wanted to build homes priced lower than the community average. Somehow, somewhere the rumor spread - read the article in the DP thoroughly and completely.

yes, all areas need affordable homes. yes. it is understandable that if someone lived in a neighborhood where the norm was 500K and someone wanted to build less prices it would hurt home values and be understandable that the current owners would not wnat that. NOWHERE in JCC/Williamsburg is this the issue.

The original plan for Stonehouse was to be similiar to gov land - and the first homes were, many by the same builders. It didn't take off, lagged a little and new developers built homes in the moderate range of 250-400 and the past several years it sold well. Now more plans for a more upscale section have been proposed - another section that will be gated and will not interfere with the current sections.

JCC is in high demand so people pay the prices that good schools and low crime and quality of life we have dictate. You can buy in your range in some areas of the upper-end of JCC, maybe even in to NK.

Many affordable townhomes are being built in New Town and it is working great. ALL the homeowners knew this would mixed-use, completely different than the supposed rumor situation in wellington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,151,242 times
No, its not a rumor, go to hamptonroads.com and watch the video they have on the community meeting that they had last week, I believe it was mirror lakes, they are upset, I really don't blame them, but then again there are people who would like to live here and can't cause they do have at least 120 grand to invest into a condo, I think you still can get one that cheap in some JCC areas...maybe two or one that I know of, but what bout those who can only afford 100 grand? What do they do, what if they want to live in JCC? What if they desire a nice safe place with above average schools? And 200 grand in my opinion is alot of money.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 AM

JCC is in high demand so people pay the prices that good schools and low crime and quality of life we have dictate

What if they can't afford those kind of homes, or do not have that kind of income but want to live here? This is very real problem here, many have presed this issue here, and yet, no affordable housing here...I will have no problem selling my home cause of this, infact it really increased my value of my home, and I am happy bout that, but still, my heart goes out to those who want to live here and simply can't cause they are not as rich as others here, its class warfare really here.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM

My home sold in 24 hours, the reason was (according to many professionals I sought) was that it was rare to find a home under 200...and its not just Williamsburg but its also other highly sought areas as well, homes under 400 are rare too, but not as rare as those under 200, its unheard of, I got what I asked for too! We prefer a single family home with no HOA, something you can't get around here, maybe a one bedroom home, maybe!!! They are planning on building in toano, they keep fighting it, and something tells me they will get their wish too, it will end up like south JCC, or the northern end of NN...but some people don't care, they want the Williamsburg addy for some odd reason.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 42,615 times
I live in York County (Yorktown) and it is the best place I have ever lived. Close enough to Norfolk (airport) and the opposite direction Williamsburg. Schools are great, the neighborhoods are beyond friendly and I have every restaurant and shopping center within a 15 min drive. Bike trails, running routes, water everywhere, and Bush Gardens. I am moving back to DC unfortunately but I can tell you that I would love to come back to Yorktown.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:29 AM

I know of someone who wants to rent in York County who is looking for safe schools and a nice upper class neighborhood...would you mind giving me some ideas where they can rent for bout 1200 or so a month? They are a family of four, thanks!

I have heard there are some really rough areas in York County! I know there schools are said to be better than JCC! That is saying alot too!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:37 PM

11 posts, read 42,615 times
Default York ****y

I don't believe there are any rough areas of Yorktown. I there is I haven't seen anything. Coming from PG county MD this place is like heaven. If you are looking for rent around here at 1200 a month its got to be an apartment. Shockingly the housing market here is what I call mini-DC, in that it is very expensive. Basically, yorktown, gloucester, seaford, are very nice areas. I picked yorktown because I didn't want to worry about flooding. Any place around here though suffers from heavy storms. Sorry but I can't speak with confidence to apartments, generally a house in a good neighborhood in york is going to run in the high 380-400's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia