Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 AM

596 posts, read 1,702,431 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40-something single gay WM living in Philadelphia wanting to drop out of the urban-east coast rat race into a smaller progressive town/city in VA that has invested in its downtown and has a vision for it's future. The gay part of my life isn't so important. I just mention it as it's part of who I am. I can blend in pretty much anywhere if given the opportunity. I know from experience that one isn't always given that opportunity when based on preconceptions. A place where that isn't rampant is high on the wish list.

I have visited the area along I-81 several times, though the most recent trip was several years ago. I know quite a bit has probably happened in some of the towns I had liked. Staunton was one of those towns but I believe from what I had read that it has already "been done" in terms of redevelopment, and starting out there now could be pricey. If I had to sum up what I were looking for, it would a Staunton "in progress".

My goal is to start a small food store (take-out prepared foods/limited selection of gourmet food items and coffee/baked goods all with a locally grown/produced and organic origin where possible). Obviously I would need to be in a town able to support such a place through residents/tourists, etc.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Last edited by niceguy19125; 05-18-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,604,758 times
Hey man, you should definatly check out the Roanoke Va. area (further south on 81). I think your store would do well here, lots of locals enjoy going to privately owned shoppes. Also Roanoke has a pretty active gay scene. I am kind of tired so cant think very well right now but any questions you have on the town you should post in the Roanoke forum and we will all be glad to answer them! Good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 95,581 times
Smaller Va communities are sort of Mayberry-esque, and can be less than open-minded. By way of example, gay couples are denied use of their community pools (yes, in 2009, and yes, they could probably sue, but they are private pools and they are your neighbors and lawyers cost money), b/c they require a "family membership" and they aren't a "family". Being able to handle that, and put your best foot forward, can result in mind-altering experiences for your neighbors, and certainly in more urban areas people are less prejudiced, but I'd do some serious homework before setting up shop.

I wouldn't be afraid to try some of the larger cities. You might also consider the towns along tourist routes (near ski resorts? Shenandoah?) -with a good website and brochures in the local hotels you might draw people on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia