Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Restraint can dispirit and hurt special-ed students - USATODAY.com

witnesses said Cedric, who weighed 129 pounds, repeatedly told the teacher he couldn't breathe, pleading, "I give." He soon became silent, but police say the 230-pound teacher continued to restrain him. After teachers lifted his limp body, a school nurse administered CPR. But Cedric was dead, and a dozen classmates had watched. "You're putting children more at risk when they're allowed to witness something of that nature, to hear a child begging for his life," says Price.
Police labeled Cedric's death a homicide, but a grand jury declined to indict the teacher. The district investigated and found "reason to believe" the teacher physically abused him.

Cedric's death was ruled a homicide, Price said, but the teacher never faced trial. She was placed on a Texas registry of individuals found to have abused children but, despite the listing, she now teaches at a public high school in Virginia, Price told the committee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Here is an article about it from the Washington Post:

Loudoun Schoolteacher's Past Comes to Light at Hearing

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Restraint can dispirit and hurt special-ed students - USATODAY.com

witnesses said Cedric, who weighed 129 pounds, repeatedly told the teacher he couldn't breathe, pleading, "I give." He soon became silent, but police say the 230-pound teacher continued to restrain him. After teachers lifted his limp body, a school nurse administered CPR. But Cedric was dead, and a dozen classmates had watched. "You're putting children more at risk when they're allowed to witness something of that nature, to hear a child begging for his life," says Price.
Police labeled Cedric's death a homicide, but a grand jury declined to indict the teacher. The district investigated and found "reason to believe" the teacher physically abused him.

Cedric's death was ruled a homicide, Price said, but the teacher never faced trial. She was placed on a Texas registry of individuals found to have abused children but, despite the listing, she now teaches at a public high school in Virginia, Price told the committee.
Census, i like to think of my home state of Virginia as a forgiving state that believes that folks deserve a 2nd chance (mike vick will be restarting his life in my hometown of Hampton for crying out loud) but this is straight up over the line. This teacher KILLED one of her students (disabled at that) and we gave her a job?! I would first blame the state of TX for not throwing her behind bars. If we gave this murderer a job, i hate to think what other scum are working in Virginia public schools.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
Not only was Michael Vick likely never around the dog fights.. but they were just dogs. Four legged creatures. Not CHILDREN with special needs. I hate when people bring up Michael Vick when there are billion of other REAL crimes going on that should seriously be on higher priority.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...had-prior.html

Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Not only was Michael Vick likely never around the dog fights.. but they were just dogs. Four legged creatures. Not CHILDREN with special needs. I hate when people bring up Michael Vick when there are billion of other REAL crimes going on that should seriously be on higher priority.
What Vick did was a REAL crime and he financed the fights so yes he contributed to them even if you say he wasnt "around them" though they were held on his property. I agree that crimes to humans are more serious but animal cruielty is a very terrible crime to commit. You say they are "just dogs" but to many people dogs (and other animals) are their loving companions and to see other people use them in the wrong way hurts.

Last edited by Teebyrd86; 05-22-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah I know I'm just saying at least a dog can defend itself. Both were bad. This was not only a teacher (who are usually trusted) but the size and strength ratio on top of the *kids* being autistic is just a lot more wrong.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
While it's chained up?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM

ok i get your point. Dog fighting is more important than the murder of an autistic child ok.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
ok i get your point. Dog fighting is more important than the murder of an autistic child ok.
I see someone is trying to push bottons with this topic. I for one never said that dog fighting is more important than the murder of a autistic child or any human for that matter; I even said that in my previous post. But it IS A BIG DEAL, a REAL CRIME and should be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia