U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times

Advertisements

organick wrote:
We are thinking about moving to Va to be closer to family. The area we would like is somewhat open. We have lived in missoula mt and asheville nc. We want a community that is open minded, rural housing available thats not super expensive, access to organic/ natural foods and farms, preferably a waldorf or other type alternative school, maybe a community of artists. Hopefully this gives a picture of what we want. Not a conservative area, etc. I can give more info if it will help. Thanks for your help. We are not dead set on this exact area so any other ideas are welcome also.

Generally an open minded/ conscious area of people.
Seems like nothing more than a simlpe, reasonable request for information to me. Too many people putting words into organicks mouth, making things up that were never written. Taking common, ordinary words and making big issues out of them. All of the hate and judgement directed toward organick seems totally unwarranted to me.

organick...I wish you well in your search for a new location. Consider moving to Grand Junction, CO. It's a rather conservative town IMO. It has little in common with Missoula or Asheville, yet I've never encountered this judgemental crap that you've experienced from your simple request for information. People here have more of a live and let live approach toward life. This is an outdoor town for active people. Lots of good fruit and produce grown locally, some of it organic. Great scenery all around. Close to the mountains, hotspring about 90 minutes away, Amtrak stops here on the Chigago-San Francisco route, Moab-Ut mountain biking mecca is just 2hrs away, great local breweries and wineries, relatively mild winters. I think you might enjoy the environment. Send me an email if you want further information.

A recent article in the loacl newspaper: Urban homesteader conducts grand social experiment (http://community.gjsentinel.com/sites/mojo/?p=1460 - broken link)

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-02-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,412,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
The problem is that when one characterizes oneself as "open-minded," it leads to the question: What isn't open-minded? It's not like saying that I want to live with left handed people, it's like saying that I want to live with intelligent, educated, pretty, and modest people. I sincerely doubt that you are open-minded since you seem to have problems being around people that don't think of themselves the way you think of yourself. Open-minded people can live around anyone and can accept any reasoned point of view. I advise you to look for academic areas that tend to be full of people that think they are very special, very educated and very open-minded.

Good luck.

here is the dictionary definition of open-minded so we no longer have to debate it.

[SIZE=3]open-minded[/SIZE]
Adjective
willing to consider new ideas; unprejudiced

On the contrary I have no problem living around all sorts of people, it seems that many people on here get offended by me saying open-minded. is there something about that that bothers you?? There are also alot of comments about me not saying what I mean, which I clearly did say over and over (see definition above). Perhaps you all need to be more clear and just come out an say we are conservative and don't want your open mind, or we hate liberals. I can fully respect if you disagree with me but dont attack someone you know nothing about.

Just to clarify everything. I am noy gay (has nothung to do with this topic) I do have gave friends, straight friends, white, black, spanish, male, female, liberal, conservative, religious and non religious friends. The question I asked really had nothing to do with any of the harsh responses I got. The definition of open minded is above. to clarify the def of conscious......I was refering to it mainly in the concept of the current state of our environment and general attitude towards our place in the world

[SIZE=4]con⋅scious[/SIZE]  /ˈkɒnʃəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kon-shuhs] Show IPA
–adjective 1.aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.2.fully aware of or sensitive to something (often fol. by of): conscious of one's own faults; He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past. 3.having the mental faculties fully active: He was conscious during the operation. 4.known to oneself; felt: conscious guilt. 5.aware of what one is doing: a conscious liar. 6.aware of oneself; self-conscious.7.deliberate; intentional: a conscious insult; a conscious effort. 8.acutely aware of or concerned about: money-conscious; a diet-conscious society.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 AM

thank you cosmic, I greatly appreciate your kind response

Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,694,043 times
[quote=organick;9096443]here is the dictionary definition of open-minded so we no longer have to debate it.

Adjective
[quote]

So, what's the definition of unopen-minded, since that seems to be the majority of us you are so desperate to avoid?

Let me give you some advice, you can live anywhere and find truely open-minded people, and in fact will find them in about the same density everywhere. Just the fact that you asked the question says alot about your open-mindedness, but I am open-minded and will not pass judgement.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM

606 posts, read 1,514,164 times
Out of curiosity, why does it have to be in Virginia?

(Virginia is a rather large area, so guess I'm wondering why it would have to be within the borders of VA --- as opposed to somewhere like Asheville, which isn't far from the southern border of VA)

I don't think you'll find an Asheville-like town in Virginia. Northern Virginia is more socially accepting, but also more uptight and not very rural at all.

Charlottesville (which has been suggested by many) is probably about as close to Asheville as you will find in VA.

Richmond is interesting, but I haven't spent enough time there to say it would meet your requirements, and my guess is that it would not.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
Default Good luck organick

What a shame this forum turned so personal. I guess one really has to be careful with any language that has a political angle. I myself am planning to move to the VA area and have been looking for a similar area. A place like Asheville NC, or Northampton MA, etc. I don't know what to call it w/out stepping on anyone's toes. I guess a lot of people just want to be around people with whom they have things in common.

So, the consensus is Charlottesville - as a balance of rural, progressive schools, and relatively left-leaning politics (in general)? Anyone have any other suggestions for similar cities in the region (NC, WV, MD)? Asheville seems nice; any other places?

BTW, let us know what you decide Organick. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,645 times
organick, Northern VA is the antithesis of what you're looking for.. I think a mid-sized college town elsewhere in the state would be your best bet (if the location has to be in VA).

(I've been stuck in the D.C. area for the past two years, pining for the progressive [e.g., one natural foods place / farmers' market for every one-hundred people, it seemed]) mid-sized Midwestern college town I'd come from.. it's a miserable existence.)

Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM

931 posts, read 3,464,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
you did not ask you assumed that when i said open minded i was gay..That is judgemental. All I was asking for was some ideas of places to look, not for your personal feelings. Again I clearly defined what I was looking for in my initial post. You could have simply said I dont know or I dont think that exists in virginia. Its quite obvious that the idea of gay people really bothers you even though it has nothing to do with this thread you keep talking about it. Perhaps it bothers you because anything different than you bothers you. You jumped all over me in attempt to discredit me when all I wanted was info not a debate on how you or I define open minded. Not one time have I said I cant accept other people, it is you who have said things like learn to express yourself, learn to read. Again my first post stated the general things I desired in a place to live.
Apparently I am a problem because I am going to teach my daughter about the "crapola" of accepting other people NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE
Well this is my first response in case you forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
does "open-minded" = liberal and/or open to homosexuality ???
Looks to me like it is a question asking you if open-minded is referring to liberal and or homosexuality because I was confused after reading your post. How is that judgmental? I am asking a question. I was born and raised in Virginia and know a lot of about the area, I was trying to get some clarification as to what you were asking. Now you just sound like a wacko nut-job so I have no recommendation for you. I just don't want you near me.

You are such a hypocrite.

As already mentioned by bangorme, just the fact that you asked the question says a lot about your "open-mindedness" because you are looking to avoid other people who do not fit in with your beliefs.

Why can't you just find a safe place to live that is near your employer?

Who goes to a forum asking people where the "open-minded conscious" people are? They are everywhere!!! Do you understand how you contradict yourself?

You advocate segregation, yet you say you are open-minded.

As for me, yea I eat organic food sometimes and I even went to an "alternative" school besides public. I have liberal views and some conservative views. I have friends that are gay and coworkers that are gay. I have traveled to Europe and Asia, and I have experienced many different cultures. I have friends who are artists and friends who are business men. I have lived in the city, and I have lived in the country. It just disgusts and slightly confuses me that someone so "open-minded" and "conscious" like yourself would be so twisted wrapped up in finding only other people like yourself. Do you get it?

Again, Why wouldn't you chose to live somewhere that is a) close to your employer and b) in a safe neighborhood?
To me those seem like more legitimate reasons to aid to your filtration on where to decide to live.

Another judgmental question for you, Are you or your daughter transgender or do you have some kind of physical attribute that makes you stand out or something?
Just curious...Because it almost sounds almost like you are hiding rather than embracing people of all backgrounds and beliefs.

You will find a lot of diversity in Virginia. From Richmond to NOVA to Roanoke to the Peninsula. You'll find it in pockets of the country side and the inner cities. Cheap housing is also available just about everywhere, except Northern Virginia, but you can still find stuff if you look. Organic food and farmers markets can be found everywhere, again you just have to search for them.

Last edited by oleo; 06-02-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:59 PM

931 posts, read 3,464,579 times
And here you go:

Richmond Waldorf School
Welcome to Potomac Crescent Waldorf School!
Charlottesville Waldorf Foundation - Home
Waldorf Home Page

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 AM

[quote=bangorme;9096659][quote=organick;9096443]here is the dictionary definition of open-minded so we no longer have to debate it.

Adjective
Quote:

So, what's the definition of unopen-minded, since that seems to be the majority of us you are so desperate to avoid?

Let me give you some advice, you can live anywhere and find truely open-minded people, and in fact will find them in about the same density everywhere. Just the fact that you asked the question says alot about your open-mindedness, but I am open-minded and will not pass judgement.

I think obviously it would be unwilling to consider new ideas and prejudiced.

Secondly I completely disagree with idea that everywhere has the same density of open minded people I have lived in 8 different states and the level of openmindedness greatly varies, not just by state but even by county or town. I mean come on are you trying to say san francisco and oklahoma are equally open minded???? of course it varies.... Go 20 minutes outside of asheville and you are in , in some cases, in the middle of highly religious very conservative, racist area where they still refer to the civil war as the war of northern aggression. Believe me it varies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or