U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,410,794 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Va to be closer to family. The area we would like is somewhat open. We have lived in missoula mt and asheville nc. We want a community that is open minded, rural housing available thats not super expensive, access to organic/ natural foods and farms, preferably a waldorf or other type alternative school, maybe a community of artists. Hopefully this gives a picture of what we want. Not a conservative area, etc. I can give more info if it will help. Thanks for your help. We are not dead set on this exact area so any other ideas are welcome also.
Generally an open minded/ conscious area of people.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,229,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
We are thinking about moving to Va to be closer to family. The area we would like is somewhat open. We have lived in missoula mt and asheville nc. We want a community that is open minded, rural housing available thats not super expensive, access to organic/ natural foods and farms, preferably a waldorf or other type alternative school, maybe a community of artists. Hopefully this gives a picture of what we want. Not a conservative area, etc. I can give more info if it will help. Thanks for your help. We are not dead set on this exact area so any other ideas are welcome also.
Generally an open minded/ conscious area of people.

Im not sure what you mean by "open minded". Virginia is a mix of both. Try Charlottesville. I just hate that term. Most people I meet who claim to be "open minded" arent.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM

45 posts, read 28,960 times
that is quite funny..."open minded" is non conservative...how ironic.So I want also to find a place with open minded people as long as the are no liberals around. get it?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,229,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevan View Post
that is quite funny..."open minded" is non conservative...how ironic.So I want also to find a place with open minded people as long as the are no liberals around. get it?
Exactly! These "open minded" people just want to be around people who think and act just like themselves! Talk about diversity, lol

Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM

506 posts, read 1,266,202 times
Richmonder27 & Dudevan: I hate to label my self, but I probably fit into the Liberal folder, however most folks I live around and work with openly state they are conservative.........I must be doing something wrong, right??? There cannot just be conservatives vs liberals/"open minded", right?

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 05-26-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM

perhaps you are right by open minded i mean people who are progressive and willing to be open to change....not just be stuck in old school mentalities about things. That doesnt mean, however, that all people think alike. call it liberal if you prefer I find being open to new views in a changing world a positive thing.

Does anyone actually have some info on my actual question as oppossed to trying to classify me??

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM

931 posts, read 3,464,380 times
does "open-minded" = liberal and/or open to homosexuality ???

Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM

my question is being answered without being answered......as stated I am looking for a progressive area and more progressive people are accepting of homosexuality however why did you automatically associate open minded with homosexuality Is tha what you think liberal equals homosexual???? I mean thats really narrow minded.

Can anyone please comment on some progressive/ conscious areas???

Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,155,785 times
I think the first person to respond to you gave you the best generalized answer you're going to hear: Charlottesville.

There, you've got a college town (college students are "open-minded," right?), where the region's U.S. congressional representative is based (a Democrat who believes he's gonna change the way Washington works), and which is all about developing and building new, sprawlier and "better" places to live and work (that's modern progressiveness, isn't it?).

You mentioned rural, and on that front, I think the Lexington area might suit you (a two-college town: one an strict military school, one a very academic and preppy school).

You can find pockets of "open-mindedness" anywhere (I live waaaay in the country, but my next door neighbors are a mixed-race couple), but if you're looking for broad generalizations of areas, start with C'ville and Lexington. Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM

thanks papertrail....thats what i wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or