U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 45,513 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Virginia from Illinois in August. Obviously, I'll be driving my car there. Here is my problem. I have NIGHTMARES about driving on roads I'm not familiar with...specifically ones that have elevated heights or steep inclines. I have no idea why I have these dreams. I've been involved in a couple accidents, but none involved steep inclines OR elevated roads. I just wanted to give some background before I ask my rather embarassing question.

What is I-64 like from West Virginia into Virginia....it looks like I will be driving through mountains. However, I need specifics......are they those two lane 45 mph roads with the guard rails so that the car can't fall off the cliff or what?! Are there two solid walls of mountain on either side of the road? Am I reading the map wrong b.c. I'm flippin' OUT?! Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 PM

738 posts, read 3,560,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajisca View Post
What is I-64 like from West Virginia into Virginia....it looks like I will be driving through mountains. However, I need specifics......
Well, I have not driven on the section west of I-81... but the section of I-64 that goes east from I-81 in VA is great. It's 4 lanes the whole way, and you DO go high into the mountains, but they did a great job... it's not too steep, and not too curvey. As far as crossing the mountains go, I-64 east of I-81 is the way to go. The only thing I'd worry about in that streach is fog... they get horrible fog there in the mornings sometimes, but they have installed lights on the sides of the road, so even in the heaviest of fog, you can still see where the road ends. But I have a feeling you're talking about the other section of I-64 that I have never been on... so hopfully someone else will be able to help you out with that.

Good luck, and don't let the mountains keep you out of VA!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,268 times
The bottom line is that you will have to cross the Appalachian Mountains somewhere if you're driving between Illinois and Virginia.

I don't know where in Virginia you're moving. If it's northern Virginia, then you might want to consider taking the Ohio Turnpike or I-70 across Ohio and into Pennsylvania, where you would follow I-70 into Maryland and could take a number of routes into Virginia [I-81, US 15, I-495 (via I-270)]. There are mountains and a few tunnels along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but the mountains are not as high as they are further to south and the roads do not have any particularly steep inclines.

I'm afraid that you will have some elevated heights no matter what route you take. Just remember that the Interstate highways are wide and have plenty of barriers that prevent you from driving over a cliff. You'll be fine.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 AM

175 posts, read 610,142 times
Pajisca,
I'm with you. I have a bizarre fear of rolling off a cliff on a drive - why is this when I've never even come close to driving off a flat stretch? I kind of have the same fear on high bridges. But we manage. Anyway, I've made the trip several times on both the northern and the southern route (I-64 vs the turnpike), and personally I prefer I-64.

The turnpike thru Pennslyvania is really twisty and the highway often feels like it's right at the edge (except where you are in the left lane driving perilously close to a concrete barrier). I've never felt like that going thru West Virginia. Maybe I'm too engrossed in the beauty of the drive. It's honestly one of the great pleasures of life! West Virginia is a magnificently beautiful state and the drive is worth it. You could even find yourself falling in love with the mountains - it's breathtaking! (This from someone who had to close her eyes while her husband drove through the mountains in Abruuzi Italy).

Best of luck to you. It's really not a difficult drive. Advice if you do start to panic (and I really don't think you will on this one), take a rest stop, get some water, some candy, and a deep breath.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM

12 posts, read 45,513 times
Default Thank You!!

Thanks SOOO much everyone! I feel so much better about the drive. I'm extremely excited to be moving to Virginia. But the uncertainty of the drive has been worrying me a lot! Thanks so much for taking time to allay my silly fears!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Pajisca, you don't say from where in IL you're coming from or where in VA you're going, but the following route may work for you:

I-65 or I-74 into Indianapolis

I-70 to Dayton, OH,

U.S. 35 (catch it from I-675 on the East side of Dayton) into WV. U.S. 35 in Ohio is almost all four lane and VERY good road. The WV leg of U.S. 35 is two lane but still good running, and almost flat. (Has a fair amount of truck traffic, though)

U.S. 35 will connect with I-64 at Scott Depot, WV. This route is shorter than going into PA on the OH Turnpike (I also share Miseuno's sentiments on the PA Tpk...) From Charleston, WV to Beckley, I-64 and I-77 are the WV Turnpike (newer and more driveable than PA's, IMHO) The Tamarack Service Plaza at Beckley is a great place to stretch your legs and the food up at the Best of WV is better and no more expensive than the food court down below.

It really will be a nice ride and the mountains really aren't bad at all for driving (especially in the Summer)

Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,126,335 times
To pajisca, I live in the mountains of Va and I too have many of the same issues about driving off these mountainous roads. Since you are travelling in August, you should not have any problems getting here. There are many
back mountain roads in the western part of VA where people do go off the roads! Mostly, they are driving when the roads are icy. IT is different to drive here, as opposed to the flat lands. At first, stay on the interstates and 4 lane divided highways.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM

174 posts, read 458,727 times
pajiska, I live between Louisville and Indy. I make my way back to SW Virginia about once a month. I know exactly what stretch of road you are speaking of. I get a bit frightened when I drive it but it really isn't all that bad. I have to drive it though, if my husband drives it I get more afraid and become carsick.

While it is very curvy and up and down it is quite safe. I think the posted speed is 60 in that area. I usually don't go quite that fast and lots of other people don't either. There are guard rails and the lanes are nice and wide.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM

97 posts, read 575,487 times
My cousin had to have his VW picked from a tree with a crane b/c of poor driving.

I64 west of I81 is very curvy but stll interstate. Guardrails where needed so no problems. I would steer clear of the WV I77 though.... I have no problems with the curves and drive on VIR (road race coarse) so I'm used to it but that road still scares the CRAP out of me.

Use your signal, don't go over 80, etc. and if you do... tell them you're not a VA resident once youre in the state. See ":VA new remedial fines"

Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,509 times
Thumbs down New Years Eve travel plans

I also have been in a bad accident. I will be traveling to Glade Springs Resort near Beckley for New Year's. Does anyone know how the route is for travel? Curvy, dangerous???? I am coming from North Carolina, I77

Last edited by ladyjaisun; 11-06-2007 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: adding starting point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or