Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Best places to live in the Maryland, Delaware, Virginia areas, close to shore, good school districts, private and Christian schools, self-employed general contractor and health care worker

Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

37 posts, read 118,124 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best places to live in the MD, DE and VA areas. We have 3 children 2 teens and a five year old. We presently live in NJ , My husband and I both born and raised here , but having a hard time trying to maintain . Our total household income is about$74, 000 yrly. We would like to find some place that would close to the shore areas, good school systems including private and Christian schools, after school summer camp programs, a good amount of recreational activities for the children, a culturally diverse enviroment, within a responsible commuting distance to populated job bases. I'm in the healthcare field and my husband is employed as a maintenance mechanic with the housing authority as well as self employment as a general contractor. An area populated with a reasonable health care facilities and providers would be great for me, and more importantly affordable housing. We plan to rent for a year as we learn the area and purchase based on our findings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We were hoping to move within the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
As far as health care jobs go, you might want to look at Fredericksburg, VA. There currently is 1 large hospital in the city, but they are in the process of building 2 more in the area (one just North of Fredericksburg, and one South). With two new hospitals opening up, I am sure there will be a need for your abilities. Fredericksburg Academy is an excellent private school, and the public schools aren't bad either. The price of homes in Fredericksburg isn't cheap, but coming from NJ, I'm sure it'll look affordable.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Hi, I just posted a thread on the area. Check it out, it should help a bit.

Edited to say: It's called "What I recommend in searching....."

Last edited by ibeg4sushi; 03-23-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: missing information

Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,152 times
Have you considered Bedford County VA. I have lived here since I was 4 years old and my husband all his life. We have raised our children here and are involved in local volunteer groups and church. I lived in the D.C. area prior to moving here with my parents many years ago.My father helped build Dullas airport. I still have family living there and would not recommend it to anyone. Our children have had job offers there and would not consider them. Too busy, expensive, disconnected. Bedford County Va is home to the Nationa D-D Memorial, the beautiful Peaks of Otter and Blue Ridge Mountains. We are a fast growing county with real estate taxes among the lowest in the area and state. The real estate market in booming with plenty of work for contractors. I can give you more infor if you are interested. We are located outside Lynchburg City Home of Liberty University and Thomas Road Baptist Church. We have several excellent private schools and an excellent public school system with schools having met AYP and SOL requirements. We are very large in land area, with smaller communities within the county. We have 10,000 children enrolled in 23 schools (elem, middle and high). We also have over 500 children home schooled and work in partnership with the public school system to offer classes at there local school if needed. We have a small community hospital in Bedford VA owned jointly by Centra Health and Carilion. Our larger hospital is located in Lynchburg, VA. (Centrahealth.com for job postings). Lynchburg General is a magnet hospital and has been rated in the top 100 hospitals in US for Cardiology and Orthopedics. There is a new 6 story Tower addition nearly complete and new cancer center under construction. The downtown area of Lynchburg in undergoing revitalization with a renovated fine arts center, museum, and resturants opening. Also an old warehouse has recently opened with a hotel and resturant. Another warehouse is soon to be selling renovated loft apartments. There is much to do for teenagers and younger children. Many Rec. fields and seasonal sports in Bedford County and a new Ice Skate ring in Lyncyburg. If you are interested in relocating in the near future, I am not a realtor, but own a 2000sq ft house in a rural community with 1.3 wooded acres. It is in the same area I live in. There are horses, dogs and many teenagers in this area. These are Great Kids! Involved with music, horses, and sports. If you are interested in knowing more about Bedford Co or the house that is currently empty, please post a reply where I may contact you by email or I can give you mine. I have visited many places in the U.S. and enjoyed them all, but this is the very best place to live and raise a family

Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 PM

Default I should have read this thread 1st

I apologize for taking so long time to respond to your post. I haven't been able to log on in a while. I sent you another reply before I read this one. You've answered a lot of my questions that I had asked in the posting I just sent you. This is usually a sensitive issue but it bears importance, is the Bedford area racially diverse? Is there an imbalance? If so pls explain. I thank you again for taking time to reply. Have a blessed day

Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Thank you so much for the information you've provided. Bedford County certainly sounds like it's worth checking out. I replied to your private messaging before I read this posting. Neighborhood, church, recreational, racial diversity information would also be much appreciated . Have a Blessed Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia