Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 AM

33 posts, read 99,961 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are currently living in England and planning to move to the USA around November. I am English and my wife is American (Chicago/Lakes).

My wife works as an Office Manager in a Dental Practice and we would need somewhere where there are enough dentists to give her the opportunity to get work quickly as she will be the principle earner. I don't anticipate finding anything in my field and would be looking for anything with reasonable pay, hopefully using my brain rather than brawn.

We would be looking to rent initially and then find something small at around $200K - we dont want to have a mortgage. We dont have kids, so 1 or 2 beds are okay though we would like some space and particularly some outdoor space. We would like to be on or close to water.

We prefer a 'town' environment in the sense that we like lots to do and hope to be somewhere where we dont have to drive everywhere. We like eating, drinking and sociallising. My wife is an excellent singer and we would like somewhere that has live music in bars etc.

We would prefer somewhere with low crime, though we are realistic and not at all naive when it comes to city life.

Climate wise, we beleive Virginia has reasonable variety with four seasons and not too many extremes. We both know the weather in Illinois and Wisconsin and the consequences of living there. Not all bad I should say, Madison is an option, but we want to explore somewhere else and Chesapeake/Virginia Beach came up well on the statistics.

What do you think? Thanks for any comments - hopefuly posititive ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM

106 posts, read 383,938 times
Great place to live, unemployment typically lower than national average, low crime rates, BUT

you're going to have to drive, public transportation, although there are some things in the works (light rail) is pretty much nonexistent.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
With the exception of the boardwalk and the aquarium, Va Beach is not very interesting, in my opinion, but I do believe that the urban planners are working on it. Williamsburg and Jamestown are very interesting of course due to their history, the College of William and Mary, and proximity to the water. It can get quite hot down there so get ready for hot - hot - hot weather and awesome afternoon tropical downpours. As far as the type of work involving the use of your brain, perhaps work for Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Colony, or Busch Gardens -- you might be able to find work as an actor since you have a British accent. Williamsburg has plenty of college bars where your wife can probably get a gig. As far as dentistry, there are several military bases nearby, so perhaps she can inquire there. Welcome to the USA my friend -- land of the free, home of the brave!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the replies

Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
My husband and I were in VA Beach not too long ago, and the previous posters were accurate in their descriptions. No one mentioned the constant jet pilots' training overhead, and we found it daunting and oppressive, to say the least. I couldn't wait to get out of there, even though I loved the biking and kayaking opportunities.

We were in Colonial Williamsburg before that, and it was nice, but I am not sure I could make it my home, and it was indeed, very hot.

I personally loved the Eastern Shore, and though its economy might be reduced right now, the Bay side towns did seem to be sustaining. It is quieter, though, and I know nothing about the bar scene.

My personal VA favorite, after the Eastern Shore, was Asheville and the Waynesville township to the west. Asheville has a diverse range of offerings for young and older persons, very "artsy", and seems to have an enduring economy. I found a few homes in your price range, while there. If you are interested, I have the contact info of a very helpful realtor that I can send you in a direct message.

Best wishes on your new home.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No one mentioned the constant jet pilots' training overhead, and we found it daunting and oppressive, to say the least.
Jet noise is only in certain areas. It's very bad in the Rudee Inlet area, but in the Lynnhaven area, where our beach place is, we never hear jets.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,206 times
To hit on a couple of key points that I think I could speak to (I moved away from Chesapeake two years ago):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzial67 View Post
We would be looking to rent initially and then find something small at around $200K - we dont want to have a mortgage. We dont have kids, so 1 or 2 beds are okay though we would like some space and particularly some outdoor space. We would like to be on or close to water.
It will be tough to find something with the land or water access that you're looking for in this price range, but whatever you would find would be a pretty long haul from any business area. Even a 2 bedroom, 1,200-sq-ft home in a very basic area will cost at least $175,000 in Va. Beach. Chesapeake will likely be cheaper, but not by a whole lot.

Quote:
We like eating, drinking and sociallising. My wife is an excellent singer and we would like somewhere that has live music in bars etc.
There are definitely lots of good places to eat and socialize, though I my opinion is that the best nightlight stuff is in downtown Norfolk. While Norfolk has a really fun small-band venue (the NorVa), I was disappointed at the lack of local bands in the entire area. After moving from a city in Indiana where I saw literally dozens of local bands, I came to the Norfolk/VaBeach/Chesapeake area and say maybe three. There was less publicity for them -- and frankly, less enthusiasm. Those that did form there didn't stick around long.

Quote:
We would prefer somewhere with low crime, though we are realistic and not at all naive when it comes to city life.
It's hit or miss all over the area, and there's really no good way to make generalizations. But, to make a generalization anyway if you choose a house near water, it'll likely be pricier and less likely to have crime.

Quote:
Climate wise, we beleive Virginia has reasonable variety with four seasons and not too many extremes. We both know the weather in Illinois and Wisconsin and the consequences of living there. Not all bad I should say, Madison is an option, but we want to explore somewhere else and Chesapeake/Virginia Beach came up well on the statistics.
This area has three seasons -- sort of. You won't get a winter, and even autumn is pretty abbreviated. Summers often linger in the 90s, which I consider extreme, but is peanuts compared to a lot of other places.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 AM

Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia