Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 33,740 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Virginia from Florida. My husband's company is promoting him to a new territory that will cover Richmond all the way down the penisula to Virginia Beach. We spent a week in the area and really liked New Kent County (the Brickshire Community specifically). We also liked Williamsburg alot. Our observations....Williamsburg is more congested and the houses there were more expensive. New Kent seems like it is an up and coming area where you can buy more house for the money. We enjoyed the ruralness of New Kent, but wished it had a tad more retail...i.e. a nice supermarket, etc. I am a stay a home mom of 3 girls...ages 12, 7, & 2 and am pregnant with our 4th child. We would love to raise our family in a quiet, safe neighborhood where you know your neighbors and everyone is more friendly. Having lived in South Florida for 11 years we are tired of the traffic, crime, congestion and overall attitude of the area. We are planning to rent for 6 months to a year while we are selling our home in FL. Then will buy a house. We don't want to move our children from place to place however and really would love some advice/input on the best place for us.

My questions are these...
1. How are schools in New Kent?
2. Is it true that New Kent is growing...more retail will eventually come.
3. Is the Brickshire Community for a family with kids?

Any and all advice is welcome...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 AM

143 posts, read 758,062 times
burkelbabee,

We just went through this a while ago and although Brickshire is really nice, we decided on a new community called Stonehouse Glen in Toano, Virginia. We felt it was far enough away from Williamsburg to avoid all of the tourist and beach traffic, plus I'm told that the schools in James City County are a little better. There's even a new elementary and middle school, and a high school that's scheduled for completion this summer.

New HS: http://www.wjcc.k12.va.us/bs/New%20HS.html
Stonehouse Golf Club: http://www.golfcoursehome.net/doc/co...Stonehouse.htm
News about Stonehouse: http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-news2_033107mar31,1,5410487.story?ctrack=2&cset=tr ue (broken link)

You'll also find plenty of shopping 10 minutes away, including Ukrops (grocery store), Home Depot, Lowes, Target, and Walmart. Better yet, a brand new mall across from Water Country USA is currently under construction, which is a Williamsburg first. We also though this might be a better investment, because of it's close proximity to Williamsburg.

Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by kcrossley; 04-17-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Here are some school ratings, which I actually thought would be a little higher, but at least the parent's reviews are good.

Stonehouse Elementary School: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/va/2560
Toano Middle School: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/va/1854
Lafayette High School: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/va/1859

Please note that Toano Middle is a uniform school. Why, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure that no other public schools in JCC are.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM

kcrossley,

Thanks so much for your information...I will do some research with the links you provided. I believe we drove by (or even through) Stonehouse Glen on our exploration. Nice area...Toano is definately a possibility. Thanks again.

P.S. what are the house prices in Stonehouse Glen?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times
Burkelbabee,
You can buy a new home in Stonehouse Glen for under $400,000 for a 2300 square foot home. That is a base price without options. It is currently taking 10-11 months to build a home. Home prices range up to $700,000 + for a 5700 square foot home with 1000 sq ft unfinshed area in the basement.

You might consder the other part of Stonehouse as well. Home prices for resale homes range from the high $300's to over a million. New homes start at around $400k. In the first section of Stonehouse you will have use of the Clubhouse, Tennis & swimming pool that are already built. If you buy in Stonehouse Glen those facilities will not be available for a year or two.

As far as New Kent Retail/ Residential there is a large number of homes planned for the next 10-20 years. New Kent Vineyards http://mrwilliamsburg.blogspot.com/search?q=vineyard
will have over 2500 homes by itself. There is retail planned along with it but it most likely won't be built until there are a few more homes built and occupied. Pleas let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,874 times
New Kent is very nice, but the schools are OK. If I could afford to live in this area, I would defintely check out New Kent myself, Williamsburg is just growing way too fast here and the problems that go along with that are too.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM

Mr. Williamsburg,

Thanks for the information. We have hear there are plans for many new homes in the area. Aside from the Vineyards do you know of any other development? Also, I was curious if you are familiar enough with Brickside to know the age mix of the residents. Being that Brickshire is built around a golf course and having at least one active adult (maintence free living) section being built in there we are afraid to buy into a community with very few children. The section we are going to rent in is Brickshire Terrace and the properties we are looking at to buy are in the Sanctuary. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 AM

Not sure what your price range is, but there are quite a few homes (a lot of them new) in Brickshire that are under $500k. I'm sure the builders are anxious to move them.Moderator cut: advertising

Old 04-18-2007, 05:15 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times
I would say the mix is 50% families with kids and 50 % without in the non maintenence sections. But that is a guess based on selling homes there to people with children, driving around and observing kids playing , seeing them get off the school busses etc. I would advise you do the same. Talk to the people who live there when you are driving around.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Where can I find some information on Stonehouse Glen? I can't find anything online. I like to look at floor plans and lots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia