Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

IM A 28 year old single female... getting out of the army in 6 months.. i want to stay in virginia and not too far from my family in richmond.. so about 2 hours or less away.. i want to live where there is plenty of outdoor activities.. or at least close to them.. i wouldnt mind traveling 30-45 minutes on the weekends to get to the mountains or lake... also i want to live somewhere with a good nightlife... festivals, community things... farmers markets stuff like that.. and dont really want to live in the city but would like to be close to one... sorry for being so specific.. hopefully someone can help me out here .. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
Probably 2 good options:
Charlottesville- better nightlife, more festivals, bohemian atmosphere, big-time college sports and cultural events, decent outdoor recreation, no major river or lake very close to city, only one hour from Richmond, 1.75 hrs from DC.

Lynchburg- slow nightlife, a few good festivals, not quite as big-time college sports and cultural events (but 4 to choose from), mountains within 20 minutes of city, numerous outdoor rec. opportunities, James River goes through downtown, Smith Mtn. Lake 45 min. from west side of city, 2 hrs from Richmond, 2.75 hrs from DC.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
As sregorat posted, Charlottesville would be a very nice choice except the whole water thing..lol.

There is however, Charlottesville Reservoir which is west of Downtown/UVA:

And on the other side of the city/UVA is Rivanna River

To the north of UVA/Downtown is Rivanna River Reservoir:

Nothing bit like the James through Richmond or Smith Mountain Lake but, hey, its water..lol.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
nothing like the james through lynchburg or smith mountain lake but, hey, its water..lol.
fify!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
You might want to just stay in Richmond. That's probably some of the best nightlife south of NOVA, yet is still within equal driving distance of the mountains to the west and the Tidewater area to the east.

If nighhtlife wasn't a priority, I'd say move to the Northen Neck, where my wife is from - lots of water-borne activities all summer long (though a bit quiet in the winter). They also DO have some festivals and community-oriented stuff; the Reedville Bluefishing Derby (more social than just fishing) and the Urbanna Oyster Festival come to mind. Cheap, too, though employment is limited, so you'd really need to have a job before moving there.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 AM

I know you've beenaroundabit, but I'd have to say that the outdoor opportunities along the Blue Ridge trumps that of the Northern Neck, in both diversity and year-round availability.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
It is called Lake Anna.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
I know you've beenaroundabit, but I'd have to say that the outdoor opportunities along the Blue Ridge trumps that of the Northern Neck, in both diversity and year-round availability.
It depends on what you're looking for and what defines 'outdoor opportunities.' For me, having the type of water access referred to by the OP is more ocean/bay-related than lakes or rivers. Though maybe that's what she's looking for - I don't know. I also prefer to be able to get out there and do some solitary things, which I was never able to do in a lot of the Blue Ridge (unless you're talking about wayyyyy out, well beyond the one-day driving distance of everyone in the I-95 corridor).

While pretty in the wintertime, that's actually one of the best times, IMO, to visit the NN and get out on the water. Most people usually define water recreation as being sun and sand, though, so I didn't even bother to mention it in my first post.

But again, maybe she's looking for more of what you're referring to.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Ocean access is great. I really enjoy the solitude that you can have in areas like the NN, or for the extreme- Back Bay, south of Va Bch. One thing that is pretty hard to find out east, though, is large areas of public land/Nat. Forest. I can drive no more than 20 miles from my house in Lynchburg and get on numerous trails that can provide me with hours of trail running without ever crossing a road; true, not wilderness like the Boundary Waters, but that amount of public land very hard to find along the coast. You're right, though- it's all a matter of one's taste and choice of activities.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,411 times
Why don't you get a place at Lake Monticello? I think it's only about an hour from Richmond, and the price of real estate is unbelievably reasonable.

I like that it's a gated community, but if you don't you have your choice of a place outside the gates. Only 9 of the 12 sections are actually inside the gates.

There are lots of activities and the homeowner fee is low. Something like $700/year and that includes snow removal, trash pickup, and access to basic amenities like the beaches and clubhouse.

You have to pay extra, I think for the pool and golf course.

The community is in rural Fluvanna County but you're only 15-20 miles from Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia