Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 17,229 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm arriving at JFK at 4.40 pm on May 19, what's the best way to get from there to Williamsburg? I've never been to the US, so i need your advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 07:06 AM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
If you're driving, you could just take I-95 past philadelphia, baltimore, and DC, until you reach Richmond, VA. Then take the left exit onto I-290 south. A little down 295, you'll need to exit onto I-64 East. At that point there should be signs for Williamsburg.

If you want a more scenic drive, you could try branching off onto Rt. 301 near Baltimore, and then turn left onto Rt. 17 onve you hit Virginia... but there's stop lights and such when you go that way. (but less highway)

Anyways, I am assuming you're talking about driving... if you need train or bus info, then I don't know. I would personally suggest just getting a flight from JFK to Richmond (the tickets aren't too expencive) and then driving from Richmond to Williamsburg. (Less than an hour drive... vs. a about 8 hour drive from NYC.)

Old 04-22-2007, 07:11 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
fly - can you add a JFK leg to your reservation and make any of these airports your final destination- PHF=newport news (closest, easiest to use, less flights) RIC=richmond, 45 min to the west or ORF=norfolk, 45 min to the east. If your ticket can be changed that is what I would do. Problem then is how to get from any of the airports to Williamsburg. PHF and ORF it is taxi, RIC has a shuttle.

You could also check amtrak and see if any of the trains fit your schedule. The train station is in town. Taxi from train station

Rent a car and drive

Many options - why are you coming to Williamsburg? Where are you staying while in Williamsburg? How will you get around when here? We have a transportation system that travels between the major tourist areas, and a local bus system for the non-tourist areas, it does not go everywhere and not always convenient depending on your travel needs.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 AM

Default 2 EricD

i'm not going to drive, anyway, thank you!

Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsburgfan View Post

Many options - why are you coming to Williamsburg? Where are you staying while in Williamsburg? How will you get around when here?
Thank you for the info! Have you heard anything about Work&Travel programs for foreign students? So, I'm a W&T participant. I will be working for Motel 6, Williamsburg, VA. Housing on site.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 18,967 times
Default JFK to Williamsburg

If you are driving, take I-95 until you intersect I-64. I-64 will take you directly to Williamsburg. Sorry to say, but getting through Washington, DC area will be heart-stopping most any time of the day, especially from 3PM to 7PM.
You might consider overnighting somewhere along the way, as getting from JFK to Williamsburg is a rather long trek...probably about 8 hrs. or more.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
since you are not driving I would do as I originally suggested and see if you can add a JFK - PHF leg to your trip. Flying is easiest. If not PHF use RIC or ORF, but the costs to get to williamsburg can be steep. Amtrak would be my second option.

Have you talked to people who worked at Motel 6 before? I know there are many opportunities in town for people working limited terms. I hope you like it and enjoy the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia