Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 40,868 times

Advertisements

So there is a very good change we might be relocating to the area.
My dad lives north of H'burg (new market/timberville/broadway) and works in H'burg. He's lived there for about 6 years now and I am pretty aware of the area and have visited many times. We know we want to be in the area so my kids can be with their grandparents. Their whole lives we've lived across the country from them.

Once we move and we're settled (VA resident btw does anyone know how long that takes?) I plan to enroll to get my 2nd bachelors. I am going for my BSN to compliment my Bach in Health Admin.

I am torn between the 2 Universities. I know ultimately a tour and talking to the admin would be my best bet, but that isn't possible living in Cali.

I do know the cost to attend are compareable with UVA seeming to be 1200/sem more.

So tell me what you all think of the schools?

We're not worried about employment, my husband will continue his same job but working from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
UVA.

Beautiful campus, beautiful area, great school.
UVA also has more national name recognition which would make the degree a lot more 'portable' should you decide to move elsewhere later in your career.

Simply put, UVA is a world-class institution. Nothing against JMU, though. I hear its a decent school as well..

Old 07-29-2009, 05:00 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
JMU

It seems to fit your situation better. A BSN from any college will allow you to work just about anywhere you want because there's suppose to be a nursing shortage in the coming years. There's no reason to throw away another $1200 a semester. Just live a little closer to your father and save yourself a long drive.

Both are great schools. In reality, most employers don't care where you're degree is from, as long as you have one with a decent GPA and show a good personality in an interview. Most college courses, regardless of school, read the same books and take very similar exams. I work with somebody that went to Eastern Mennonite in Harrisonburg. I'd never heard of it until I met them, and they loved it and clearly know their stuff. Most people I know that went to UVa didn't really like the competetive atmosphere of the school.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 40,868 times
Thank you both

In the area would be pretty much from Staunton up..
after going from Sacramento to VA we don't mind a drive. We're more looking at what would be best initially for us.

Trevor you do raise some interesting point.
H'burg is a lot more affordable to live in, the bonus about charlottesville/UVA would be if I could get to work at the med center afterwords, but the price of housing seems to be a lot more over there.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Establishing residency for in-state tuition is answered in the Virginia Code. The section is 23-7.4. Subsection B states in part:

B. To become eligible for in-state tuition, an independent student shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, he was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if such existed.

The answer is you have to have had your domicile here for at least one year before the first official day of classes.

Both JMU and UVA are nice. If you want prestige, go for UVA. The cost of housing around UVA is expensive. As far as a place to live, I would pick Harrisonburg. But for a degree, I would go for UVA.

If you live in Staunton & commute to UVA, you will be going over Afton Mountain on I-64. That can be an "interesting" experience on a foggy day.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
I'm completely biased, as I went to UVA.

That said, I would still recommend UVA. Like 540_804 said, UVA has a lot more name recognition. If you plan on staying near your father long-term, then it might make sense to go to JMU, save money, and let your kids spend more time with your grandfather. Otherwise, I think a BSN from UVA will mean more in other parts of the country, so I would pick UVA.

Plus, the public schools around Charlottesville (either the City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County) are very good, and Charlottesville is just an amazing town. I don't doubt that it's more expensive than Harrisonburg, but if you can afford the cost of living difference, I think it'd be 100% worth it.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
You may also want to consider where you have the best chance of being admitted. Admission in either institution is not guaranteed. Both have become selective. I suspect UVA is more selective about admissions than JMU, but I have been surprised at the good high school students I know who have been turned down by JMU.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM

64 posts, read 232,838 times
If you can get into UVA, go there. It's one of the best schools in the state.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM

117 posts, read 392,083 times
I'm a JMU grad, LOVED it, but -- if you're getting into the health profession, I might also have to vote for UVA. Not that JMU probably isn't great for that, but UVA probably has a higher reputation in that industry. My sister also went to JMU for undergrad, then UVA for med school.

I love Charlottesville and I love Harrisonburg. Harrisonburg is far more rural, and Charlottesville perhaps a bit more diverse regarding cultural and social events. There is quite a lot to do in Charlottesville. Cost of living is more, though.

If you were going for a straight liberal arts type pursuit, or business, I'd have steered toward my alma mater, the Dukes!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia