Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times

Advertisements

Nobody calls it Tidewater for one. I like how you switch over to tidewater from hampton roads to try and make it sound like some swamp. And nobody named it the great dismal swamp.Your a dunst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Another sorry little thing you did was hop on Blacksburg and Charlottesville's college bubble and try to make Roanoke look better.. Wow. They aren't anywhere near Roanoke.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Wow! I can't believe a discussion over rail service in our state deteriorated into a pissing match over which region is better. I'm not choosing a favorite city or saying one is more important than the other, but numbers don't lie. Hampton Roads would benefit from rail service. Its 1.7 million metro borders Richmond's 1.2 million(94 miles) which borders NOVA's 2.5-3 million metro(106 miles in between). That area has a around 5.5 million people in a continuous string of metros. Plus I believe the mentality of the people in the eastern part of the state would more readily use rail. Many already do with the VRE and Metro and Amtrak. Not to knock Roanoke, because I like it too, even with Lynchburg and Blacksburg tacked on, it still doesn't even add up to a million people. And those areas are more conservative when it comes to passenger rail. Sorry, I don't want to make enemies, but the facts are the facts.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Blacksburg is 35 miles from Roanoke. How far is ODU in Norfolk to Hampton University? I don't know the exact student figures for the 50 mile radius of
Roanoke starting with the 45,000 Tech students, Radford, VMI, Washington & Lee, Lynchburg College, Roanoke College, Hollins University, 3 community colleges in the area with 9000 just in Roanoke, Liberty(which will soon take Tech as the states' Largest University)I would guess it would be greater than the Tidewater. BTW, I am no where near Charlottesville and I don't consider a part of this area.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 AM

Tidewater doesn't have any important colleges or universities on the scale of a Virginia Tech, VMI, Washington & Lee, Hollins unless you want to include
Christopher Newport(Ha Ha)....
I will give you one William & Mary....although they probably wouldn't want to admit they are a part of "Tidewater"..........Just Not Upscale Enough For That
School...
BTW, is there really a school named "Old Dominion University"? Ha Ha!!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 AM

BTW, don't get confused over Virginias' larger eastern metros. There is a big country out there and many are travelling through our state. Many are heading to DC, NY and beyond. The rail route from Roanoke may be busier and more profitable than a route from "Tidewater" simply because there may be only one train whereas the eastern side may lose money on multiple routes. The fallacy that it would be more costly to build a route in a more rural area down to Roanoke versus multiple routes in eastern VA may not be true. The more rural rail tracks may be less costly for right of way than a more congested urban area. It might be cost prohibited to even build more
rail in the "Tidewater" to NoVa corridor anyway. BTW you guys have enough new roads that our tax $ helped build for you over there do you really NEED rail more than we do anyway?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 AM

BTW cityboi757 your downtown photos look nice!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Blacksburg is 35 miles from Roanoke. How far is ODU in Norfolk to Hampton University? I don't know the exact student figures for the 50 mile radius of
Roanoke starting with the 45,000 Tech students, Radford, VMI, Washington & Lee, Lynchburg College, Roanoke College, Hollins University, 3 community colleges in the area with 9000 just in Roanoke, Liberty(which will soon take Tech as the states' Largest University)I would guess it would be greater than the Tidewater. BTW, I am no where near Charlottesville and I don't consider a part of this area.
Tech isn't the states largest school, its VCU (32,000+ students). I'm only correcting it because I go there.
And Liberty (19,000ish including post-grad) isn't really close to either Tech or VCU and they have a cap on admissions so they won't be growing any time soon (until they expand facilities)

Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Vcu???

Thanks for that earth shattering bit of data. Does it really matter anyway since none outside Richmond has ever heard of the school? You guys really need to get into football, its the only way!!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Okay roanoker I'll break it down to you.. YOu are very ignorant.

Hampton University is less than 6 miles from Old Dominion (WHO HAS FOOTBALL!), Old Dominion is less than 5 miles to Norfolk State University, which is less than 10 miles from Regent University.. So like I said we have over 150,000 college students compared to your measly 45,000 or so. William and Mary proudly claims Hampton Roads and together we make 'americas first region.' Virginia Tech is not attatched to Roanoke in any form. Our colleges are actually IN the metro, not some artificial extended, make roanoke look good, metro. Old Dominion has over 20,000 students enrolled.. It's the real deal buddy. You gotta be kidding me dude, your braggin about having 9000 at a community college in Roanoke! DOWNTOWN NORFOLK'S Tidewater Community College Campus alone has 12,000. Total enrollment is 30,000+. ! I keep telling you we are a bigger metro with better stuff, more people, big city amentities, and can't be compared to Roanoke.

Hate on us all you want, the facts don't lie.

ANd I know you like my photos their fckn awesome, bet you can't find a beautiful downtown waterfront in Roanoke could you.

and Who hasn't heard of VCU, it's awesome..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia