Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM

345 posts, read 914,026 times

Advertisements

Ok some might be trival but I want alot of info before I even buy a plane ticket to re-visit VA after all these years.

Do you have state car inspections? Are they done by mechanics who ding you for the tinest thing?

Is the beach clean and does it get horribly crowded?

Do your areas have community events, like fairs and things?

How much is a gallon of milk there?

If you are in a farm area do you have feed stores or do you have to drive far to get it?

What grocery stores do you have? We have King Soopers which is also City market/Kroger and the place I like to shop.

Would you say your state is much friendlier than the states to the North of you?

What is one or two things you like the most about VA?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
Yes we have car inspections....but it depends on mechanics, some are strict, some not so much.

The Beach is relatively clean but it can get crowded occasionally...mostly around certain times of the year.

Yes, just about every city has fairs, carnivals, festivals, etc, and of course the State Fair.

Gallon of milk probably varies by area. Can vary from $2.59-3.99 or above....

Can't answer the farm/feed question..lol..not familiar.

Va Grocery stores include: Wal Mart, Food Lion, Kroger's, Ukrops, Giant, Bloom, Food City, Safeway, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and more...depends on which region of VA you are in.

Virginia is over all pretty friendly. One of my good friends from NJ told me that people here seemed more friendly than people she grew up with in NJ but I can't say for sure because I've lived in VA all of my life.

Can't choose two things....too many to choose.
One would be the nature/scenery and 4 distinct seasons

Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
Yeah there's car inspections!

Virginia Beach is very clean but it's very crowded during the summer months.

I know Norfolk and Virginia Beach have festivals, fairs, and carnivals all the time.

I just bought milk in Norfolk for $3.00

Hampton Roads has Farm Fresh, Food Lion, Walmart, Dollar, Harris Teeter, and Kroger.

My two favorite things about Va are Norfolk and Virginia Beach

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 PM

I do not miss car inspections at all. In NY they would rip you off hitting you up for things like your wipers rubbed on the passenger side you need to get that buffed out. It has been nice not having to deal with that.

Milk at King Soopers/Kroger here in Colorado is $1.58 for a gallon.

Nature and scenery are good, I miss trees and all the green and when we have been to VA it was so pretty.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 AM

542 posts, read 991,801 times
Ok some might be trival but I want alot of info before I even buy a plane ticket to re-visit VA after all these years.

Do you have state car inspections? Are they done by mechanics who ding you for the tinest thing? -Yes, and it depends on who inspects it. DO NOT go to the dealer!!

Is the beach clean and does it get horribly crowded? -Don't live near or go to it often enough to know. I do believe it gets quite crowded at peak times in the summer.

Do your areas have community events, like fairs and things? -Where I live yes. County fair and the Victorian festival and some others, I don't go to any of them though.

How much is a gallon of milk there? -This will sound nuts, but I can't remember. If I need it I just buy it. I think it's around 3 bucks where I live.

If you are in a farm area do you have feed stores or do you have to drive far to get it? -We have the Augusta County Co-Op right in town here in Staunton. It depends where in the county you live. Some people in Augusta have to travel 30 mins just to get to Staunton.

What grocery stores do you have? We have King Soopers which is also City market/Kroger and the place I like to shop. -I have Kroger, Food Lion, Martin's in Staunton. In C-ville you have those minus Martin's but plus Giant. Where I grew up in Culpeper we had a Safeway and Food Lion. It just depends where in the state you are. There are local and smaller chains across the state as well.

Would you say your state is much friendlier than the states to the North of you? -I have always been impressed with the friendliness of my neighbors to the north. It just depends who you run into and what mood they might be in at that time. With that said I don't think VA is any friendlier or meaner than anywhere else.

What is one or two things you like the most about VA? -It's central location on the east coast. Where I live I can be to NYC in 6 hrs or Atlanta in 8. The history,Pre Revolutionary, Revolutionary, and civil war. And the natural beauty, mountains in the west, and ocean in the east. The climate is evenly spaced, we don't receive extremes of anything. A little snow in the winter, and a little heat in the summer. These can vary greatly though.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 AM

"Would you say your state is much friendlier than the states to the North of you? -I have always been impressed with the friendliness of my neighbors to the north. It just depends who you run into and what mood they might be in at that time. With that said I don't think VA is any friendlier or meaner than anywhere else."

Really? I was born and raised in NY and could not wait to get out. I have been back for visits and their rudeness, grime and etc make me want to run back home after 3 days. About 75% of my friends I grew up with have also left. Upstate is cleaner and friendlier but what a yawn. I did live in MD for 3 years and they were about as friendly as New Yorkers
Here the people are friendly, neighborly and helpful and I am the same way. I really liked VA when I have visited it for it beauty and it's location. I would be closer to family and friends who live from Upstate NY all the way down to FL, and all the lovely trees and the ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia