Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:28 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times

Advertisements

I'll definitely move to VA unless Roy Cooper gets elected and actually changes the state, specifically our teacher pay. If that never happens, you'll probably find me living in some Richmond suburb, Charlottesville, or possibly an outer NOVA suburb. I'd live in Raleigh if I could, though. The Triangle is a well-established and highly educated metro, basically a smaller and (more) culturally southern version of NOVA in a way. I've learned to accept the traffic on 540 getting worse and worse, along with the newer subdivisions popping up in areas like Cary that seem to go on for eternity. At the same time, I think VA (overall) is heading in a better direction than NC. It's tough to pick between them, although the Hampton Roads (Norfolk/VA Beach) and Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem) metros aren't my cup of tea. I don't see myself settling around Charlotte, either. Raleigh/Durham and Richmond are probably my top two choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 AM

93 posts, read 196,884 times
New RNs do start out around 20 in Roanoke, but most new grads will make more on nights with shift differentials. Points eastward, such as Richmond will pay a few dollars more. My wife has been an RN for about 5 years. With her MSN she makes 33-35 an hour here in Lynchburg plus benefits. Bear in mind, that pay comes from a lot of shift differentials. She has about 8 bucks an hour in shift diffs.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 719 times
I have lived in both NC and Va. for me IV BN in small towns. I lived in south west Va growing up and as a young woman. As a kid I thought it was the pits but as I grew I was happy and satisfied for the most part. The people were friendly willing to speak and the farms were beautiful and well kept. Here in Marion Nc. IV BN here for 28+ years and the people are hard to speak to ... hateful... keep to themselves and even seem to have their own " klicks" . If you are not born there you will always be an outsider .

Old 07-18-2019, 02:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
I lived in Raleigh, NC for just over one year and did not like it. It is really pretty and the beach is easier to get to than from here in NoVA, but I did not like the people. Most of the people that I got along well with were also from different areas; one day at my volunteer job I asked a couple of women if they had any friends that are actually from the Raleigh area and they realized that all their friends were from elsewhere. The people are polite, but that can only get you so far. Polite when you walk into a store is a good thing, but when someone says 'hi, how are you?' I usually respond with ' great!, how are you?' not realizing that they only asked me that to be 'polite' with no actual interest in my answer was very disheartening.

I have found that here in Arlington I meet people that are actually friendly and nice. My daughter has also met people here that are much more pleasant.

I think that if you are really into soccer or being a 'soccer parent' Raleigh may be a good place for you. If you want to have a variety of friends and things to do, VA is where you want to be.
Old thread, but I feel the same about my time in Raleigh area. It's actually one of the strangest places I had ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia