U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM

50 posts, read 201,394 times

Advertisements

I like to say Ashburn, VA (Loudoun County) as I live there.. It is a great Family community although it has gotten big and starting to get a little crowded with all the housing development that they are building.. It's about 10-15 min drive away from Washington Dulles International airport if you don't go on the toll road...but right now with the real estate market is down a little, it wouldn't be a bad investment. If your looking for a little bit of land, then yes I would move towards Purceville like someone suggested earlier.

I remember hearing for the past couple of years that Loudoun and Fairfax counties have the best education in the country...

this is just my opinion though.. Good Luck finding something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,115,030 times
Quote:
I remember hearing for the past couple of years that Loudoun and Fairfax counties have the best education in the country...

this is just my opinion though.. Good Luck finding something.
Yeah, too bad no one there speaks any English.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,635,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Yeah, too bad no one there speaks any English.
LOL.

Actually, according to SchoolDigger.com, the top ranking elementary school in Loudon County is Little River at 34th, but the vast majority of Loudon County schools are way down in 400th and lower place. And it's worth noting that in Little River, only 1.8% receive a student discount lunch, suggesting that Little River is full of, well, rich kids, so of course student performance will rate higher.

I remember listening to a public radio story on Loudon County and how they're trying to promote slower growth because they are just finding it impossible to keep up with the growth. As soon as they finish the next batch of elementary schools they have to build more, they can't keep up and manage education effectively.

The elementary schools in the Top 30 elementary schools at SchoolDigger.com are largely in the Richmond, Charlottesville and Roanoke areas. But I keep saying this. These school rankings are suspect in my mind because they really place a stigma on urban schools with more economically diverse populations. If 15% of children in a school are from lower income families with real challenges that affect their focus on education, then that's going to pull down your schools' ranking. So these rankings really push more affluent and mobile families to the schools where all of the kids are pretty much affluent, and let's be honest, more white than the area itself. But if you're affluent and proactive with your childs' education then I believe your child will excel in a lower "ranked" school. And they just might benefit from socialization with people of more diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.

Sean

Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 AM

738 posts, read 3,562,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
And it's worth noting that in Little River, only 1.8% receive a student discount lunch, suggesting that Little River is full of, well, rich kids, so of course student performance will rate higher.
Of course rich kids are smarter than poor kids...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,635,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Of course rich kids are smarter than poor kids...
Well, no they're not smarter. But we're talking about averages here. And the reality is that "poor kids" have parents that have more challenges to overcome on a daily basis. Overcoming these challenges requires more time and labor and therefore the parents have somewhat less time to dedicate to their children. Growing up in this dynamic is more challenging and stressful. That's the reality that plays out with these school rankings; much more often than the odd school with a bad batch of teachers. It bears out if you look at the demographics of those counties with top peforming school systems; they're every single one of them a county that is noticeably wealthier and less ethnically diverse than their neighbors.

My father was a blinded veteran from WWII who never finished high school, and my mom was born on a reservation in Canada and never finished elementary school. I was very much a poor kid, living in a dinky trailer in the city. I never finished high school. So I'm not sitting on a high horse and saying poor kids are dumber than rich kids. I'm saying that they have a steeper hill to climb because of the environment they live in, and perhaps if more of us affluent folks stepped up and moved into these "underperforming" schools we could better support our communities AND not risk the education of our children.

Sean

Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
The midlothian area of Chesterfield County is great for raising a family. Low crime, great schools and neighborhoods, and you could probably find something in your price range (not new construction though). You'll also have big city amenities since you'd be in the Richmond area. It's about 2 hours further from New Jersey than DC. You could try looking into an established community like Brandermill, which includes:
- 1700 acre lake with sailing, fishing and rental boats
- Award-winning 18-hold golf course designed by Gary Player
- Brandermill Country Club
- Outdoor pools
- Tennis courts
- Volleyball courts
- Biking and jogging trails
- Bike passes under major roads for safety

Lots of amenities, and you could still find homes in your price range. Neighborhood schools, nearby shopping etc... It's just one example, but there's plenty of areas in Chesterfield and perhaps Henrico that could fit what you're looking for.
Hi -

I am also relocating to the Richmond area, hopefully by year end. I have been researching extensively the Midlothian and Chester areas and just wanted to get some insight on the best planned communities in the area.

It seems that Hampton Park has a lot of what we are looking for, good schools, lots of amenities for families with young children and houses that are in our price range with lots of space.

Can anyone tell me how Summer Lake, Brandy Oaks, The Woods at Summerford, Milcrest at Brandermill, and Charter Colony compare to Hampton Park and/or each other?

Brandy Oaks seems very affordable with lots of square footage, but does it have swimming pools or a lake in the community like Hampton Park?

Summer Lake seems higher in prices; can someone tell me why in comparison to Hampton Park and what the best areas are?

Thanks so much for your input.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,647,699 times
Try looking at Woodlake as well. I'll try to add more later.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
UVA is alright

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM

11,387 posts, read 20,190,818 times
You join to respond to a six-year old thread?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,623 times
I just wanted to say THANK for all you selfless people who come here to help others learn about the beautiful state of Virginia. My wife and I are considering moving from Southern California with our two little boys. I've always loved VA and the people. Your posts are really helping us decide the best place to live. We--like the OP--have family in the PA-NJ area and VA seems to be a good choice for beauty, people, and weather that beats PA and NJ. So again... thank you for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia