Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?
To buy or not to buy health insurance. 7 50.00%
The right to free speech. (fairness doctrine). 0 0%
The right to own a fire arm. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,691 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that I have 4 kids and smoke but NEVER in my house or car (the car when the kids are in it). I will not take them to a restaurant that is saturated in smoke either. It is a disgusting habit that I really do not want them exposed to! I personally don't want to eat and smell it either. Outdoors at a concert or festival I have no control over and really don't care because they are not being directly exposed. It is a valid health concern but more than that it is just gross!!! Also, in Oklahoma they put this bill through a few years ago and now we are just used to it…it works and I have to admit it is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM

120 posts, read 218,024 times
FORCES International - THE EVIDENCE ARCHIVE

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spangie View Post
Just wanted to say that I have 4 kids and smoke but NEVER in my house or car (the car when the kids are in it). I will not take them to a restaurant that is saturated in smoke either. It is a disgusting habit that I really do not want them exposed to! I personally don't want to eat and smell it either. Outdoors at a concert or festival I have no control over and really don't care because they are not being directly exposed. It is a valid health concern but more than that it is just gross!!! Also, in Oklahoma they put this bill through a few years ago and now we are just used to it…it works and I have to admit it is nice
This is what works for you but maybe not everyone else. You should definitely have the right to use only non smoking restaurants. Restaurant owners should have the right to make their restaurants non smoking. But if you think it’s disgusting so it’s OK to outlaw it, is something I have a problem with. Where does this end. Frankly I think gum chewing is disgusting. People do it in restaurants and stick the germ ridden wad under the table to make others sick.
Why can’t we have the diversity of smoking/non smoking restaurants? Just don’t use the smoking restaurants. For years smokers have limited themselves to smoking restaurants, and there have been far fewer of them (smoking restaurants) for many years now. I’m sorry, but the thinking that says that you must have 100% of restaurants catering to you and absolutely nothing for the 23% who smoke is just greedy.
Would you tell the owner of a sushi bar that you can’t stand fish and expect them to serve you a ham sandwich, or would you simply go to the deli.
I may find it nice if the law required all restaurants to accommodate smokers, but I would also have the decency to realize that it was wrong.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
I can't smell your gum when I'm eating. If anyone was smoking in a restaurant I could smell it and it sucked. Smoking inside public places with other people is a dead issue now. Smokers--go outside.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
I can't smell your gum when I'm eating. If anyone was smoking in a restaurant I could smell it and it sucked. Smoking inside public places with other people is a dead issue now. Smokers--go outside.
I can smell the gum. It is a sick sweet pungent odor. I hate it and it’s nauseating, but I must put up with it or go somewhere where it’s not allowed. You see, it’s really up to the owner of the establishment to allow people to chew. This is because it is private property (not public).
If you smell smoke while you eat it is because you elected to eat in a smoking restaurant.
The public owns the DMV and the public says there will be no smoking there, I’m OK with that. As a member of the public I have no right to say no gum chewing in restaurants, unless it a government owned restaurant.

Dead issue, far from it. Smoking bans are collapsing globally. You see, the bans have been justified by the alleged health risk of environmental smoke. The more facts that surface over the research, the more obsolete smoking bans become. Even the World Health Organizations own research shows a statistical dead heat in lung cancer occurrence among people exposed to ETS and those who are not. They even go so far as to show a 22% less chance of lung cancer among children of smoking parents. Even I’m a little suspicious about that, but it’s their research not mine.

Smoking bans are an affront to the liberty guaranteed the American Citizen. With this precedent set, the next assault could affect you.

Anyway, if you check out Europe where the bans first occurred you will see that they are in trouble. Some have even been overturned altogether. Some of the placeless in the US where the bans have been around the longest are facing the strongest challenges.

Enjoy your smoking bans while they last, soon they will take its rightful place in history along side of book banning and prohibition.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post

Oh, you’re going to start trusting Tobacco Company’s now? All their really saying is to trust the research. OK here it is.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM

17 posts, read 43,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The problem I have with this is that smokers talk about their need to smoke like a person in a wheelchair needs a ramp. Really, it's like smokers need a special accommodation to help them enjoy life. It's a cigarette! Why are you uncomfortable eating food without a cigarette?

The great thing about this new law is that you don't have to weigh the options of having good food or coming home smelling like smoke. Everyone who enjoys good food will be able to enjoy good food. All those who like to smoke can continue to do so in the confines of their car, home, or some other place where they will not be bothering others. Seems like a win-win. There are some who believe these activities are intrinsically linked, but 80% of us disagree.
I have been a smoker for 25 years and actually enjoy smoking. One of the reasons that I left VA was because of their ban, now NC has followed suite. I think this ban thing is the most ridiculous thing that the Gov. has come up with in years. It's my God Given Right to smoke if I so choose. The last time I checked it was still a free country covered by the Constitution. Most restaurants had smoking areas before the ban which was fine with me. I don't see anyone having to go outside to have a drink of alcohol now. Maybe the Gov. should ban alcohol in Restaurants and Bars next, the smell of alcohol makes me queasy and it would certainly cut down on DUI's and obnoxious people. I've never been obnoxious because I smoked one to many cigarettes, but I know plenty of people who are obnoxious because they had one to many drinks. This is a matter of personal freedom people. Wake up and smell the coffee before we end up becoming Communist Russia. Wait you can actually smoke in restaurants is communist countries, maybe I should say before we end up becoming like the middle eastern countries that we are fighting against right now.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele1993 View Post
I have been a smoker for 25 years and actually enjoy smoking. One of the reasons that I left VA was because of their ban, now NC has followed suite. I think this ban thing is the most ridiculous thing that the Gov. has come up with in years. It's my God Given Right to smoke if I so choose. The last time I checked it was still a free country covered by the Constitution. Most restaurants had smoking areas before the ban which was fine with me. I don't see anyone having to go outside to have a drink of alcohol now. Maybe the Gov. should ban alcohol in Restaurants and Bars next, the smell of alcohol makes me queasy and it would certainly cut down on DUI's and obnoxious people. I've never been obnoxious because I smoked one to many cigarettes, but I know plenty of people who are obnoxious because they had one to many drinks. This is a matter of personal freedom people. Wake up and smell the coffee before we end up becoming Communist Russia. Wait you can actually smoke in restaurants is communist countries, maybe I should say before we end up becoming like the middle eastern countries that we are fighting against right now.
Obvious troll is obvious...

If not though.. I can only hope lung cancer gets you before you reproduce

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
Oh, you’re going to start trusting Tobacco Company’s now? All their really saying is to trust the research. OK here it is.
I didn't say I trusted anyone. I thought it would be worthwhile to share what a tobacco company had to say about the topic.

Sorry to interrupt though... please do get back to telling us all how cigarettes aren't harmful.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 PM

No one is saying that cigarettes arn't harmfull. First hand smoke may be a little over demonized, but it's anything but harmless. I was just pointing out that the dangers of ETS are a gross exaggeration.

Please keep interupting, that's how we boil it down to what's real.
Your welcome here anytime.
This is good information.

Last edited by Moe III; 08-13-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: repair hyper link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia