U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?
To buy or not to buy health insurance. 7 50.00%
The right to free speech. (fairness doctrine). 0 0%
The right to own a fire arm. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,184 times
The words of someone who has never smoked tobacco before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM

guyincognito, I appreciate your taking the time to pick apart and react to my post, that shows real passion and that is something that I respect. I have always been a a very curtious smoker and even though some people want to make that out to be a bad thing or twist what I might mean by that, I will always be a curtious smoker (it'd be nice if I could spell). When it wasn't cool to act like a darn fool about smoking, I would eat a meal, look around where I was sitting and if I happen to see a pregnant woman, I would not light up. Two of my very dearest friends are horribly allergic to smoke..I don't smoke when I'm with them and for one of them I go a step further..I don't smoke when I'm going to be around them. So yes, I know that I am a curtious (again, can't seem to spell this one) smoker, as smokers go. Non-smokers and smokers had a great arrangement in that restaurants had Smoking sections. That wasn't good enough for Non-smokers, they didn't get their way. I have never been nasty to a non-smoker verbally or with the all to popular hand gestures. It's rude and hurtful. Tell me honestly that you've never been rude to a smoker.

I want to take the time to re-address all of your highlights, and I will another day. My Mother is in the hospital and taking care of her is far more important than you. BTW, no she did not teach me to smoke, one of those nasty little reformed smokers taught me!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Default So Far You All Are Not Getting It!

I don't want to say anything else to upset anyone (the hell with me) but Moe III has asked a question and from what I can see, none of you are willing to answer it. You don't mind wasting time with the same old..I don't like it, it makes my clothes smell bad but maybe since I have your undivided attention you will answer me...Why, with market demand providing more than ample restaurants for non-smokers, do you believe that it is necessary to enlist "Big Brother" to ban the few remaining smoking restaurants?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM

341 posts, read 532,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezehill View Post
I don't want to say anything else to upset anyone (the hell with me) but Moe III has asked a question and from what I can see, none of you are willing to answer it. You don't mind wasting time with the same old..I don't like it, it makes my clothes smell bad but maybe since I have your undivided attention you will answer me...Why, with market demand providing more than ample restaurants for non-smokers, do you believe that it is necessary to enlist "Big Brother" to ban the few remaining smoking restaurants?
Obviously you guys are ignoring my posts. Continue to be melodramatic if you like but it doesn't change the fact that unless your favorite restaurant decides to create a smoking area separate from the non-smoking, you won't be able to light up there next month. As you said, let the market decide. The places that think they are going to lose money will build it. The rest won't.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,822,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
And why won't smokers andswer my question regarding whether or not they feel it is a restaurant's "right" to serve food handled with bare, unwashed hands. Most of you seem to think it's ok to have regulations in some cases but not when it involves your habit.
Great post and no, no smokers have answered this yet...

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 PM

120 posts, read 130,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Moe III: I'm talking about "freedom" since that's the subject of the poll - What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?

I didn't create the poll - I'm just reacting to it. If you didn't want people to comment on the freedom aspect of this, why did you word the poll in that way?

In terms of the smoking ban, I'm all for it - all stores, all restaurants, all the time. And frankly, I'd like to see a ban on smoking immediately outside the doors to such establishments. I can hold my breath for only so long.
You can talk about freedom, I just reject the idea of smokers freedom. You said, "the only freedom smokers have lost..." No smokers freedom has been lost. The lost freedom is the infringement to the rights of the property owner. Smokers can still smoke anywhere allowed by the owner of the property. After Dec. 1, the State will tell the property owner what he can allow.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Take a look at these studies. They are just the first few that came up with a google search of "second hand smoke". Not picked and chosen to support my opinion.

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute
Secondhand Smoke: MedlinePlus
Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program | Indoor Air | US EPA
Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air you breathe - MayoClinic.com
It was chosen because it was the most concise in depth and longest running study ever done on the subject. Right or wrong, it's not the point. You can tell me skydivers are a greater risk to the public then knitters, does not mean they should be outlawed.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Ah but even if that's true in that one instance, when there are fewer smoking options out there come December 1st, they will have an increase in their sales...unless all you smokers are planning to just stay home...
Statistically untrue.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Obviously you guys are ignoring my posts. Continue to be melodramatic if you like but it doesn't change the fact that unless your favorite restaurant decides to create a smoking area separate from the non-smoking, you won't be able to light up there next month. As you said, let the market decide. The places that think they are going to lose money will build it. The rest won't.
Did not mean to ignore, did not claim I respond to everyone. Maybe I should have said Free Market. That ship has sailed. The few that do will have themselves a gold mine.

I don't get what you mean by melodramatic. Maybe you could be more specific or was that meant for me.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 PM

7,735 posts, read 14,914,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I am SO ready for this to happen. No more smoke drifting towards me when I am trying to enjoy a nice meal.
Long overdue, Citydweller.

Smoking in restaurants has been a No No for years in Arizona and California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia