Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?
To buy or not to buy health insurance. 7 50.00%
The right to free speech. (fairness doctrine). 0 0%
The right to own a fire arm. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

honestly I just moved here from CT where they have banned smoking in all restaraunts AND bars and I am counting down the days to December. LOVE this law! I was dismayed when I found out that the only restaurant in my small town (and one that I can walk to easily), is known for being full of smoke all the time. Frankly I am waiting until 12/1 to visit it and I can't wait. I imagine that their sales will go up big time as I'm sure the smokers won't stop going and now you're adding in those that wouldn't go before. Somehow I don't feel badly for the restaurant as it will be good for them in the long run. I hear you on voting with your feet and just not going to a restaurant that allows smoking, but honestly there are so few choices out there in my neck of the woods, that I'd like to go to where I can find the best food....and not worry about someone elses bad habit ruining it. I think you can spend an hour eating and not smoking, correct?

Let's face it, my husband is addicted to nicotine so I get it...but it's a habit (like drunk driving) that endangers others. That you don't have a right to do in my book. Do what you want to yourself, but once you start impacting others, I have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM

120 posts, read 217,934 times
This is for Ric75.

Libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
Why worry about the health consequences if your not in a smoking restaurant.

If you really want to know about the health consequences of second hand smoke, it's all right here. This is the most comprehensive report ever done on the subject. 118,093 adults in a nearly 30 year study.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7398/1057

Smokers, don't forget to check out Home
The British Medical Journal is considered a joke by doctors in America. Second hand smoke does cause many health problems. Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute

Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
The British Medical Journal is considered a joke by doctors in America. Second hand smoke does cause many health problems. Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute
Hello - It's an American study. If you read more then the link address you know that. If you like it is published elsewhere to.

Last edited by Moe III; 11-11-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM

arielmina said:

"I imagine that their sales will go up big time as I'm sure the smokers won't stop going and now you're adding in those that wouldn't go before. "

Never seen sales go up, Hometown Grill in Powhatan reported a 54% loss when they ban smoking. So they had to close and reopen under a new name. Oh yes, with smoking. Most however, report about a 20% loss when they ban smoking.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Yet still no one brave enough to argue the issue? see post 17.
It seems the non smokers have given up.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Take a look at these studies. They are just the first few that came up with a google search of "second hand smoke". Not picked and chosen to support my opinion.

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute
Secondhand Smoke: MedlinePlus
Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program | Indoor Air | US EPA
Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air you breathe - MayoClinic.com

Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
GreenGene:Why are you talking about smoker freedom (see post 17). Maybe you should start a thread? We're talking about Va somking ban.
If it's OK with you for the State to tell you what legal activety you can and canot do on your own property, well then OK. Bur Frankly, it scares the hell out of me. Please read post 17. I would love to fine someone, anyone that can argue this while staying on topic. Good Luck
Moe III: I'm talking about "freedom" since that's the subject of the poll - What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?

I didn't create the poll - I'm just reacting to it. If you didn't want people to comment on the freedom aspect of this, why did you word the poll in that way?

In terms of the smoking ban, I'm all for it - all stores, all restaurants, all the time. And frankly, I'd like to see a ban on smoking immediately outside the doors to such establishments. I can hold my breath for only so long.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
arielmina said:

"I imagine that their sales will go up big time as I'm sure the smokers won't stop going and now you're adding in those that wouldn't go before. "

Never seen sales go up, Hometown Grill in Powhatan reported a 54% loss when they ban smoking. So they had to close and reopen under a new name. Oh yes, with smoking. Most however, report about a 20% loss when they ban smoking.

Ah but even if that's true in that one instance, when there are fewer smoking options out there come December 1st, they will have an increase in their sales...unless all you smokers are planning to just stay home...

Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM

370 posts, read 1,009,874 times
If this were a total ban on smoking then I might better understand the premise of the Libertarian Smokers Association's argument however I still wouldn't agree with you. This new law, however, isn't a ban. Restaurants have the "right" to build a separate smoking room if they feel the majority of their clientele is smokers and that their revenue will be hurt by this law. Pubs would probably fall under this category but not most restaurants. The new law simply ensures the cloud doesn't drift over into non-smoking areas since the open-air boundaries most restaurants have between smoking and non-smoking areas are generally ineffective. Please tell me how this is even remotely related to Freedom of Speech? And why won't smokers andswer my question regarding whether or not they feel it is a restaurant's "right" to serve food handled with bare, unwashed hands. Most of you seem to think it's ok to have regulations in some cases but not when it involves your habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia