Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 PM

102 posts, read 406,022 times

Advertisements

jaydbrk-
I'll be moving soon to Richmond from Portland, Or.
I had not visited the city prior to last week, so at least you have more of a feel for it than I do.
After visiting Richmond, and 'meeting' a lot of people online here in this forum, I feel comfortable with the move.
I'm in a different situation though. I'm single. One son is out of college, the other in his last year.
Heed the advice of others on teenagers-- I've been there. I would make sure they are 'connected in' with others in anyplace you move. Even across town. Kids will b*tch about anything and everything. Remember, it's their job to push the envelope to learn the boundries in life, it's just too bad we(parents) are the envelope.
Good luck. Hope to see you in Richmond.
( at least the winters won't be as rainy)

Jmier7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
"Are those sorts of taboos and esoteric social rules the norm there in VA?"

I lived in Richmond about 20 years ago, and I am a northerner. One thing you will have to get used to: people talk much slower, and they may not understand you if you talk too fast. So, solw down, smile and say "good morning" befoure you launch into your business.

People tend to identify with the colleges they went to-- either UVA or U of Richmond. If you didn't attend their college, you tend to be an outsider.

If you are a church-goer, you should probably locate a church you are comfortable with. A lot of social live depends on it.

While people of different races may associate at work, I saw very little socializing between the races outside of work.

Best of luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
"Are those sorts of taboos and esoteric social rules the norm there in VA?"

Sorry for the mis-spellings in the prior post. Tradition is very important in Virginia. That is why 90% of the houses are in Colonial Williamsburg style. If you buy a contemporary, it may be harder to re-sell. (Brandermill in Chesterfield county is an exception. There are many contemporary houses there.)

Trash collection is done by private companies in many areas. An area seems to be "owned" by a particular company. The head of the family came calling on us in his Sunday suit, and we didn't dare look for another company.

The mixed-race son of a friend had a hard time in school because of teasing from other kids. Hopefully, attitudes are better now.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
You will love the cost of living! YOU can prolly upgrade to a mansion for what you spent on a home in Portland! There are no big earthquakes to worry bout, and its very pretty there, I think if it were me, I go in a heartbeat!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I can remember 30 years ago being harassed for being a shy white girl from a group of (girls) who were black... who hated me, just cause I was white, yup..I know what its like to be discrimated against cause of your skin color, not fun and can be dangerous too!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I've been in Richmond for over 20 years and have seen it change from a nice but very Southern city where I was hard pressed to find a fellow Northerner, to a real mixing bowl of transplants from just about everywhere. The FFV's may still be around but they don't hold sway like they used to. I haven't seen any race issues out where we live and we do have a mixed neighborhood (white, black, Indian and oriental). I will admit that we live in an upper middle class area so that may help.

If you like shopping, we have great shopping. If you like the outdoors that's readily available with a short drive. Great schools in Henrico and Hanover counties. We're surrounded by history, with DC is only about 2 hours away. We even have two large amusement parks within an hour of Richmond.

It took me a little while to settle in but once I did I could never think about living back on Long Island.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 142,364 times
Well, we talked it all through with our teens and showed them the area info, and were surprised to see them both very excited about the idea and ready to move within a matter of hours! I have warned them that they will have to do some cultural adapting if they want to get social, but they seem up for it. They've had to do it before as they were born "Navy brats", but VA is a place none of us have ever lived. So....

What are rules of etiquette or points of consideration we could be working on?

I've picked up good snippets here so far, such as speak more slowly, begin business with pleasantries, respect the significance of callers in Sunday best, (thanks , goldenage1), and don't walk around naked (thanks, richmondpics).

Also, i see a bit of talk about race here. Will we find any friction for not caring what color people are?

Old 05-18-2007, 08:12 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Not in my neighborhood. I live in the West End of Henrico and have yet to see any racist behavior. Race in the South is just different somehow than it is up North, a little hard to explain. In Richmond it's generally not much of an issue, at least this decade.

Also Richmond is not the same place that I came to in '88. 20 years back their was a bit of quiet hostility towards Northerners, but these days that's just not true. Speak how fast you want. You may want to shop at Ukrop's for groceries, but that's a good thing.

Honestly, I love raising my kids here and moving here was one of the best choices that we ever made.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Well said. I've never been to the northwest, so I'm not sure how different it is culturally from Virginia/the Richmond area. A lot of people live by the golden rule. Just be nice to other people... like, when someone let's you over in traffic, give them a wave. Being yourself is probably the best thing.

I think you'll appreciate the fact that Richmond has all the big city amenities but in a smaller town feel... it's more laid back than other places I've been. Just not naked laid back

Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
You know, I was born and raised in Virginia; then I married into the Army and traveled for a bit, and now I'm back. I will tell you that I was raised to say "Yes mam and sir" and "No mam and sir." I said "please" and "thank you", and even called my parent's friends by their last name, not "Ms. First Name." And I am proud to say I STILL do that and am raising my kids to do the same.

Virginia is a great state and I am proud to call it home! Oh, and when talking about schools, don't forget VA Tech - Go Hokies!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia