U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,906 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (40's, no kids) have visited and are considering renting around Nelson/Albemarle Co. for a year. Love the mountains, more temperate climate than up in Boston, Mass. and the spaciousness.

Any thoughts on particular towns? I would love to find a home with a couple of acres, and mountain views! We are both self-employed, he's a singer/guitar player (Irish music and bluegrass) and I own a pet sitting company, doing walks, training, etc. Craig's List seems to suggest that there is enough business to keep us OK for money.

Thanks all, in advance for any advice! So far, Scottsville looks kinda neat, close to city, but near the river, and mountains!

Happy Thanksgiving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 PM

542 posts, read 788,044 times
There's a little village in Nelson county named Lovingston. I think it's starting to get more artsy things moving in. If your husband likes bluegrass, he'll love that area. Being from Boston I hope you realize just how rural it is below Charlottesville. To me I-64 is an unofficial demarcation line through the state. Things are just different to me below it, and Charlottesville/Albemarle represent that change quite well in my opinion. You will by no means experience the Appalachia stereotype, but there are country people and hillbillies there. My boss is from Baltimore and lives in nelson and loves it and gets along fine with people there so I don't think you'll have problems with the area, as long as you are expecting the rural life. Scottsville is also a really nice little town. My first roommate grew up there and his mom is from Germany and they seemed to like it and had no problems. Again, very rural. Travel times to C-ville for both places can range from 20 to 30 mins depending on traffic and weather. In either case, welcome to Virginia and good luck in finding your spot!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Unless you like living in town you could just look for property somewhere around the county. There will likely be a town not too far away you can drive to. There are a lot of cool spots in the unincorporated parts of Nelson if you enjoy a more rural lifestyle. Just be mindful of locating in a low lying spot subject to floods. Scores of people were killed there in Hurricane Camille back in the late 60s.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,906 times
Thanks very much for both of your replies. We stayed in a motel in Lovingston, but didn't spend tons of time there. We would like to be within easy distance (20-30 miles) to a metro area like Charlottesville, but DO want rural! I don't want to be able to see my neighbor's houses from mine, I love open space! We are friendly folks, and not at all averse to "hillbillies" Hubby is from rural Ireland, and we are pretty plain ourselves, so we'd do fine, I think! I'm tired of the hustle/bustle/dirty streets/crowded roads of Boston! I did consider the flooding part, guess we'd have to think about that! THANKS AGAIN.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Also check out Rappahannock County (Washington and Sperryville are its two main towns). I think it has everything you're looking for as well. It's relatively close but not too to big city DC and mid-sized towns such as Culpeper and Warrenton and is right down the mountain from Skyline Drive. It's my favorite rural place in all of VA.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 AM

542 posts, read 788,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Also check out Rappahannock County (Washington and Sperryville are its two main towns). I think it has everything you're looking for as well. It's relatively close but not too to big city DC and mid-sized towns such as Culpeper and Warrenton and is right down the mountain from Skyline Drive. It's my favorite rural place in all of VA.
I grew up in Culpeper and agree that Rappahannock county is great! I believe the county has put special measures in place to keep it rural too. I wouldn't worry about flooding in Nelson though, that was a once in a lifetime event that was very rare, and sad. It's cool that your husband is from Ireland, a friend of mine has or had an Irish couple living above him, but I never got a chance to meet them. He said they were a cool couple. And Boston is a city I've been trying to get up to visit for a long time. I love old architecture and history, so the place sounds great to me. I don't think you can go wrong in VA though, it sounds like you're an open minded couple who will make the best of it. VA has a little bit of something for everyone in my opinion if you look for it. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or