Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great info here! Really helpful folks around

I am moving from Seattle and needed some recommendations on the following. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Grocery stores in the area

2. Where to buy furniture (couch/beds/mattresses etc)

3. Good cable and phone providers

4. Stores for buying appliances.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinseattle2 View Post
Thanks for all the great info here! Really helpful folks around

I am moving from Seattle and needed some recommendations on the following. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the area, I'll help as much as I can... I live in Stephens City, just South of Winchester...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinseattle2
1. Grocery stores in the area
Recommend the Martin's in Stephens City. Winchester has Martin's and Food Lion and Super WalMart, but the Martin's near us is the cleanest and least crowded of them all.... Nice store.

Quote:

2. Where to buy furniture (couch/beds/mattresses etc)
We bought from The Roomstore in Winchester. Furniture seems good and reasonably priced.

Quote:
3. Good cable and phone providers
Well, you're Comcast for cable, or DirecTV/DishNetwork if you want satellite..... I think our local phone service is Verizon, but we don't have a landline (Use cells as primary).

Quote:
4. Stores for buying appliances.

Thanks!!
Not too sure.... There's a place called Spicher's in Winchester but we weren't too impressed. We bought our washer and dryer at Lowes....

Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
We bought a range from Spichers and I also was not too impressed with the customer service.

Agree with above about Martin's. There's also Aldi --a new very low-cost, warehouse type food store (on Route 11 near the new Alamo theater)

Room Store and Schwels for basic stuff. Grand Furniture on Jubal Early sells slightly higher end furniture but you really need to go into Fairfax/Loudoun or North Carolina to get really good stuff!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:02 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,190 times
As far as TV goes..if you want to watch local ( as in Winchester ) TV news...need to get Comcast as the local Winchester ABC affiliate ( www.tv3winchester.com ) is NOT available on either Dish Network or Direct TV. Then again TV3 Winchester streams their newscasts online nationwide ( Winchester's TV weathergal Lauryn Rickets actually has a somewhat of a nationwide following thanks to those streams but that is for another post ) so just by having high-speed net serivce may fill that gap. However here is some "advice" don't even bother trying to find local Winchester news on the Washington or Baltimore stations other than the weather or even on local radio as Winchester's Q102 laid off a number of their staff within the last year and WINC-FM was sold not that long ago and from what I heard even they had done their share of cutting back as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia