U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Location: East of Richmond, betweem the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers
21 posts, read 51,537 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wanted to post some information on this form about the NN-MP area of Virginia. This area includes ten counties:

Middlesex
King and Queen
King William
Gloucester
Mathews
Lancaster
Richmond County
Westmoreland
Northumberland
Essex
I worked with the CSB and these are the areas considered the NN-MP.
I grew up in this area: live, work, and play….Diverse but very rural. Beautiful land, and people. Please contact me if you have any questions about these counties. Questions about places to live, restaurant, and any other questions I can answer. Plenty pictures of the Rappahannock and Mattaponi Rivers. Some understanding of the culture and community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Default Essex Co

Thanks for the offer, we are think of moving that way and fell in love with the little town of Tappannhock most likely spelling wrong!

I would like to know about the social climate as to racial comments, whether the population is young or old, are the schools good in that county, is there a allot of poverty and crime. If so, what type of services are provided ( I have found if the social net is strong and resources are availabe people are cared for and crime is not an issue) if that makes sense....Are there a lot of jobs and where do people work.

Thanks
Pat

Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM

791 posts, read 2,453,244 times
[quote=estitches;13657286]Thanks for the offer, we are think of moving that way and fell in love with the little town of Tappannhock...
I would like to know...are the schools good in that county, is there a allot of poverty and crime.

You can check school statistics and test-score rankings nationwide, on http://www.greatschools.org .

Crime-wise, the last time I checked the "Virginia Uniform Crime Report" website, the chart showed that Emporia and Tappahannock had the two highest crime rates of all the small towns in Virginia. Any thoughts on that ?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estitches View Post
Thanks for the offer, we are think of moving that way and fell in love with the little town of Tappannhock most likely spelling wrong!

I would like to know about the social climate as to racial comments, whether the population is young or old, are the schools good in that county, is there a allot of poverty and crime. If so, what type of services are provided ( I have found if the social net is strong and resources are availabe people are cared for and crime is not an issue) if that makes sense....Are there a lot of jobs and where do people work.

Thanks
Pat
I guess its hard to describe crime, in city terms, in a small country town. Of course there are drugs, domestic violence, etc...but most people know each other and violent crimes are not the norm. I worked as SW in the area for a year and have lived about twenty miles from Tapp. during childhood. Tapp. is in Essex County. The demographics are mixed in the area and its a rural county. As far as racial comments, its like most places in the US. The schools have a strict bullying policy, racially diverse, and there is a large minority population in the county in power positions. Again, violent crimes really don't exist as for now. I will say that during my time working in the area about a year ago there was some gang activity from middle school students, a group of about fifeteen kids and they were trying to get this undercontrol. That to me at the time was a major concern along with some drug activity. The drug world in the area is a silent stuggle and its not something you see on the corner. DSS, Community Services board, Domestic Violence shelter in Warsaw, YMCA, etc. are avialable. Walmart, lowes, peebles, are the hot spots Jobs: a lot of people have to drive out of the county for jobs to Richmond, Fredricksburg or West Point. There is a hospital, stores, restraunts. There is poverty but its a hidden poverty. You have to look for it. Its acutally a very nice little town. Of course this is only my observation and I am sure others have different expriences.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,254,722 times
Are there plenty of land/farms available for sale? Or is everything passed down?

I'd like to have a large lot not too far from the water. I don't care what town. House with acreages are good, also. How difficult is find one in the area?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Its pretty easy to find farms for sale and land. search online at for local agencies. Local news papers are good place to start....southside sentinal, tidewater review, northern neck review...google it....Most farm land is passed down but there are plany places up for sale.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,215 times
Just wondering if anyone from the thread is still around? I'm planning a move to Lancaster, VA in January 2017 and would love to learn more about the area before I make the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia