U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 32,825 times

Advertisements

Hi im moving to Lynchburg VA this summer and would like some info on the area. I have a 13 yr old son who is going into 8th grade and im a single mom. Im lookin at the downtown area and in the 24504 zipcode for the most part. Just need to know about the basic stuff.....schools jobs crime diversity alll of that stuff thank you and if you neeed more info feel free to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 PM

I know that its not a big city but does anyone have anything to suggest?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 196,417 times
I have not lived there, but I have heard some very nice things about Lynchburg. My husband and I are considering either the Roanoke area or Lynchburg. You may want to consider sending a message to "medperson". She lives in Bedford, but is pretty familiar with Lynchburg. Good luck to you!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 37,501 times
Default Avoid City

I'm from Forest, Virginia which is right outside Lynchburg. Forest has a much better school system. Forest Middle School is an amazing facility and the high school (Jefferson Forest) is being renovated.The inner city schools such as EC Glass and Heritage have their fair share of drug/gang problems. The majority of people in Forest work in Lynchburg - it is only a 10-15 minute commute.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 33,773 times
ca68605: u cant say city schools have drug/gang problems like they are in baltimore somewhere. Gangs n lynchburg...um no, but a group of people affiliated 2gether because they're bored in a city of almost 70,000 YES. schools in the lynchburg area have their share of crime but not 2 a big extent. besides didnt a kid bring a gun to jefferson forest hs in forest to shoot some people????

Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Kappa Alpha Psi Guy: You seem to have posted a lot about Lynchburg schools. I am not meaning to say that city schools are all problems but to pretend that Lynchburg does not have drug and gang issues is preposterous. Apparently the City itself felt it was enough of an issue to start a Gang Task Force in 2004

www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArt icle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192996845&path=!news!loca lnews (broken link)

My mother works within social services for the City and has to deal with it all the time. As for someone bring a gun to Jefferson Forest, it has not happened in the past eight years according to reports. Statistically, Jefferson Forest and Brookville have scored higher on the SOL’s then other schools and have lower drop out rates. I was just trying to provide hi2222 with information she might find helpful about schools. I try to go off proven facts such as test scores and reports.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM

13 posts, read 68,645 times
We're moving to Forest next month from Pennsylvania. We have a 12-year-old daughter who'll go to Forest Middle School. Our daughter is in the gifted program here, and also band. Can you us what's great about FMS, and anything negative to watch out for? Is the principal a good strong leader? Are the teachers excited about being there?

Old 05-26-2007, 05:49 PM

It sounds like your daughter would do very well at FMS. They have an amazing band and TAG program. The band program in particular is very good and prepares students for the high school band which has traveled to London the past couple of years to play in the New Years Parade I believe. You can find more information out at Jefferson Forest Marching Band - Cavaliers (http://www.jeffersonforestband.org/index.htm - broken link)

When I was there about 10 years ago (yikes it doesn't seem that long) I found most the teachers to be engaging and excited to be there. One thing I appreciated was the effort to seperate the younger grades from the older ones...but when I was there 5th grade was in the middle school and 8th was at the high school. So things could be different now.

As for things to watch out for, the girls tend to be more cliquey at Forest then at other schools. I started out in the Liberty High School district and then transferred to Forest Middle during the 7th grade so I can attest to the difference. But I guess a little of that is expected everywhere.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM

97 posts, read 575,506 times
Default why lynchburg/

None of my business but why lynchburg? From neighboring Roanoke, I was lured there for an attractive paying position and may be again soon strangely enough but I can't see anyone WANTING to move there for any other reason. I hated it - most of the people are from there and never moved on i guess because they didn't know any better (including my girlfriend), are really into themselves and aren't very warming to outsiders. Oh yeah, anywhere downtown is probably a bad place to live.

Try surrounding counties. better land and homes for the price.... much friendlier people.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:56 PM

sorry i sort of forgot about this thing, but ill anser all the questions. First of all someone did bring a gun too school at JF a few weeks ago. And the reason Im moving to lynchburg is to get the hell away from forest. When i say forest i mean the place that u people keep saying is the best place in the world. Forest may be good for a kid who has a stay at home mom, a dad making 120K a year at some corperation, and name brand everything. We do not fit in here we are from a neighborhood in boston massachusets that non of you would ever live in and finally where able to get out. My son is tired of seeing all these rich conservitive people and so am i. I also know that lynchburg is and extremly conservitive city but its better than forest. Also I took a walk through the area of lynchburg that you say is bad and I think its not bad at all. I was around 5,6,7th street. Oh and incase your wondering why we decided forest va in the first place is we have friends who have friends who where renting out and apartment and we decided to take it. And for sand you will probably enjoy forest but not for us. But does anyone else have any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia