U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 PM

57 posts, read 424,577 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Long Island, but have lived in Europe for 9 years, and (after college in Ohio) no longer have my New York accent. My husband was raised in Germany (American parents) and lived in New Hampshire before we moved here. I'm getting mixed messages about whether or not we'd be "accepted" in Richmond. I've seen that there's supposedly lots of NY transplants out in the Midlothian area and they love it, but then again, several people have said, no way, southerners don't want us down there... Is it true that south of that Mason Dixon line, no way, Va or Ga, the south is the south, and we should stay up north or we're asking for trouble. How can I decide??? I think we look and act pretty "normal" - you wouldn't think we're European or anything, but are also no nonsense people - don't go for that sweet front and shallow relationships. Are folks there "real" enough to go deeper, or will they just wave over the fence? Will I be looked at like an intruder?? Gosh, how long would it take me to find out for myself; the longest we'd be in corporate housing is about a month before we'd want to buy. We so wanted to be closer to the beach with warmer weather than PA...what to do...which would be quicker to accept "different" and diverse. The kids do have a few quirks from out here that will take some time to drop -we're not a road show, but don't either want to be "corrected" for being different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,619,183 times
jennifer,
come on down im an ex-yankee????? no they wont say ex,... im a yankee and i always will be in there eyes, but its all in fun, i havent had any bad experience and ive been here 20 years, so yall come down ya hear! they will treat you fine, the people here are very friendly ,and just be ready for some teasing.
i often wonder how they would act if they would have actually won the war!!!

Last edited by htlong; 07-24-2006 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 140,358 times
OK Jennifer-if you haven't already moved, you may want to check out the Augusta County area especially Staunton. It is a small city 25,000 people and very historic, very beautiful archetecture to say the least. There are several outsiders that have moved in from other countries. There are large shopping stores and it's close enough to Charlottesville (40 miles) that if you wanted Target or something like that, you could drive there. Harrisonburg is 25 minutes away as well. Staunton housing prices a starting to rise because people have discovered the area, but still considerably cheaper than NOVA, DC ect. It's very pretty country out here too, alot of outdoor activities, and the schools in the city of Staunton are pretty decent. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me oodie16y@yahoo.com and I can give you more info.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,145,093 times
Default The Yankee Thing

Virginia is changing folks! The northern part of the state is not "southern" in the fried chicken, Bible belt, redneck sense. It is inhabited by angry, agressive young professionals who live next to that "irrelevant" town called
Washington DC who come there to make a lot of money and then quickly go back home to Iran, China, Pakistan and India. With overpriced everything, its only attraction is its proximity to D.C. A native New Yorker may like this place for its diversity and similarity to New York City. Charlottesville is "Blue Blood"
country. Its' residents are related to many of Americas' first families. Does anyone remember the Father of Our Country? Richmond is a financial, government, services capital. It is a good place to find a good career, but who wants to live there? The good part is it is a short drive to D.C. or Va. Beach! The Tidewater area is Military. Period. Stay away from that area if you are a freak! Lots of ex-New Yorkers retire there, by the way and love it!!
The Shenandoah Valley is farming and rural. Central Virginia is Lynchburg with the Falwell folks. Believe it or not, they are nice people(if they ever allow you to get to know them). Southwest and Southside VA are the forgotten parts of the state as few jobs, bad roads, poor schools dominate this region. Then there is Roanoke. My hometown is the "jewel" not only of Virginia but of the entire East Coast!! Money magazine recently "discovered" this "diamond in the rough" as one of the top places to retire. The city is surprisingly open minded, cultured, vibrant downtown and like Richmond, is close to the other parts of VA. The best skiing on the East Coast is only an hour away, as is white water, hiking the Appalachian trail, Blue Ridge Parkway. The cost of living is lower but the "upscale" crowd has discovered Roanoke and I'm sure with more wineries, upscale shopping centers, art museum, etc that will soon change. Many of Roanoke's young migrate to D.C., Richmond, Charlotte after college for better opportunities. They do not want to leave but they know they must do their "duty" in those congested, ugly places. Its an unfortunate fact of life. After moving away from here 25 years to D.C. and coming back home, it is such a relief to be here!! I am sorry if I offended anyone who is from outside Roanoke.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:25 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
Go for it! Even if "they dont want you there", what are they gonna do about it? Look at you weird? If you like the area, go for it. The Civil War has been over for over 140 years and if they cant let that go, well then, you should ask yourself if youd really want to be around people who act like that. I found no problem with people there while I was vacationing (with Illinois plates), they were friendly and well-mannered!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,380,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Go for it! Even if "they dont want you there", what are they gonna do about it? Look at you weird? If you like the area, go for it. The Civil War has been over for over 140 years and if they cant let that go, well then, you should ask yourself if youd really want to be around people who act like that. I found no problem with people there while I was vacationing (with Illinois plates), they were friendly and well-mannered!

That is because you had those darn Illinoisy plates.
Everybody knows that midwest folk are just down right nice people. You just have to love them. Who else brought America Groundhog Day and Christmas Story

Old 11-27-2006, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,115 times
I guess I'm a little late in answering Jennifer's question, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway. I'm originally from PA, and moved to Georgia, I had the same fears as you about being a Yankee & moving to the South and based on my experience, you have nothing to fear. I found the people in GA to be the friendliest, kindest and most respectful folks I've met anywhere & never did I hear the word Yankee used against me. Unfortunately I lost my job down there and had to move back to PA & thus far haven't been able to find another job in my field in GA, but I'm coming to Richmond tomorrow for an interview & I'm sure the people will be just as nice.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 PM

23 posts, read 286,951 times
Well Jennifer if you haven't already moved you will find the East Coast very diverse. Remember if you are wanting to be close to the beach that in this part of the US beaches are only used about 3 months of the year. Unless you are near an Interstate highway Virginia has many hilly and mountainaous areas which take longer to travel through. Anywhere near D.C. is EXTREMELY expensive. I am from Adams County ,Pa. near Gettysburg. I have lived many places and travelled extensively in Europe and Austria. I live in the West now. I come from a family of teachers. The schools in Pa. and Maryland in general are very good. My friends who teach in Virginia would tell you that schools near Dc in northern Virginia are good but in southern Virginia teachers are paid much much less than most states and the schools are not as good.
Having grown up next to the Mason Dixon line I do see differences in Northern and Southern lifestyles. I think if you live in a larger town, especially near a college you will find a more diverse population. I worked with many people from Northern Virginia and Maryland. There are a lot of cultural activies in the DC area and many free things to do. YOu aren't far from the seashore- everyone goes to Ocean City , Md on the weekends. Many rent houses there for the summer. This is one of the most expensive areas in the mid Atlantic region however. Where your brother lives in Gettysburg is an area with Swiss and German ancestry. My ancestors came from Zurich, Basel, and Heidelburg in the 1700's. It still has a Pa. German feel. My sister-in-law is from eastern Long Island and has loved living in Pa f0r many years. Many New Yorkers live in southcentral Pa.
If you are looking for warmer weather you need to go further south than Virginia. Summers are hot and humid in the mid atlantic states. Like Long Island. Just remeber that the rural areas ans small towns are still quite consevative but are also much safer places to raise a family. i have spent time in Richmond,Va. I wouldn't want to live there. The Willamsburg, Va area is very nice. You don't say what kind of job your husband is looking for. I would think that may determine where you live. You nay need to live near a major city for good jobs. Too bad you don't want to live in the west. i live at a Ski resort in the west and there are so many people from all over europe here as well as east Coast people that it is a great place to live. My friends here are from switzerland, Hungary, Poland, England, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Brazil. Argentina, and Japan. The schools are the best in the state of Utah. there are many people who home school, go to private schools, Montessouri schools, or go to the private Winter sports school which has classes from April to November so the kids can participate in Winter sports. The public schools are great. They spend the most money per student.Do you ski? If so you should live near a ski resort. There are small ski areas in South Central Pa. The ones in Va and West Virginia are nice too. You would fit right in here in the west at a ski resort. Good luck with where ever you move. But be sure to visit you brother often and take your kids as they can learn a lot of history where he is.

Last edited by bas1; 11-29-2006 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 AM

11 posts, read 29,907 times
I just moved down to Chesterfield County in July to take a teaching job in Hopewell. I had lived in Ohio all my life and moved down with no but my belongings and my Black Lab. I knew no one down here but found that everyone I have met has treated me great and I am so glad I made the move. I get homesick at times but would never think about moving back to the North. I love the area and the people here really do treat you well.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:26 AM

57 posts, read 424,577 times
Gee that's so nice to hear! I know in the end it's going to take getting a "feel" for the area before we decide. Still interested and looking at either the Brandermill/Woodlake area (seems like a lot of transplants?), the Chester area, or somewhere in Mechanicsville. On a side note, I did read on bestplaces that the air quality in the Midlothian/Brandermill area isn't rated very good - much better in Mechanicsville - any thoughts or info. on this? If a family member has allergies in the spring, will this be a nightmare? Reason's why? Industry?

Is it generally a better bet in a "community" to make local friends - like Brandermill etc. Any nice ones under $250K in the above areas?

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or