U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,227,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
We're in the same situation as these folks, but we're hoping to move in Nov 2010. We already have two young children, so our concerns are the same as far as schools are concerned. How about Roanoke? Any thoughts?
Lived in Roanoke for 10 years prior to moving to Richmond 15 months ago (and now off to NC) Roanoke is a really nice area to live. Schools in the county are good, there is a lot of outdoor recreation, minor league baseball, the Div III Natl Championships every year in Salem, and Blacksburg is only about a half hour or so away (Va Tech) Blue Ridge totally surrounds the Ronaoke Valley - it's in a huge bowl - mountains in every direction. Weather is not too bad - about the same as Richmond, but the winter is WINDY!!!!- Don't buy a house surrounded by large trees - they look pretty, but not when they're blown over on your bedroom!! Folks are a bit backward, a little bit if you're from some big city up north (not for me - I'm from WV) Housing is inexpensive compared to most big cities, taxes are low, crime is low (we lived out of town a little ways and our crime rate was non-existent - there essentially was none at all!!). Charlottesville is VERY expensive - if you got the bucks, fine, but I much prefer Roanoke Valley area. From a "cultural" standpoint, not a whole lot, but I wasn't in to that much anyway - there is a large civic center with Natl acts, science museum, Mill Mountain, the Marketplace downtown, Hotel Roanoke, and a nice size mall with about everything. Roanoke has a little more of a "big city" feel versus the Harrisonburgs, Staunton's etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,163 times
Martinsville Virginia is 45 minutes from Greensboro NC and 50 minutes to Roanoke Virginia. It's located at the foothills of the Blue ridge Mountain, beautiful area!! All accredited schools, labeled one of the best school systems in Virginia by former Gov Kaine. Low cost of living with all the trendy shops and restaurants less than an hour away. You can buy a quite large home for half what you would pay in any other city in Virginia. Jobs are not plentiful....but the quality of life is great!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,227,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsvillian View Post
Martinsville Virginia is 45 minutes from Greensboro NC and 50 minutes to Roanoke Virginia. It's located at the foothills of the Blue ridge Mountain, beautiful area!! All accredited schools, labeled one of the best school systems in Virginia by former Gov Kaine. Low cost of living with all the trendy shops and restaurants less than an hour away. You can buy a quite large home for half what you would pay in any other city in Virginia. Jobs are not plentiful....but the quality of life is great!

What is the unemployment rate again in Martinsville?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 23,056 times
Our family of six is looking at a move to Virginia also. The fourth of our four children has a chromosomal disorder, so we need information on how well VA does with things like educational assistance and medical coverage. Does anyone know anything about this or know where to direct me?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,141,579 times
The funny thing about Roanoke is that it is not a "boom or bust" type town. It grows at a small rate, it watches other nearby cities such as Charlotte, NoVa, etc grow with little long range planning or interference from real estate developers. Charlotte tears down every building that looks old, in favor of the new. Whenever Roanoke decides to join the rest of the world then I suppose it will become just like anyplace else, full of the same places and none will be interested.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,735 times
Hey AreJohnston - where did you end up? My husband and I are looking to move there in the next year and I would be interested to know your experience thus far.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,028 times
Where did you end up??

Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,031,696 times
I can honestly say Roanoke county schools are solid if you have a kid with special needs. They adopted our kids hardcore IEP (very service intensive) without blinking an eye.

My understanding is Roanoke city schools are in trouble with something like a 65% high school graduation rate? Roanoke county is in the high 90's percentage wise on that count.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 22,314 times
arejohnston,

where did you wind up moving to?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 AM

4 posts, read 17,196 times
Me,my wife & 4 kids from 8 years old to 17 Years old are planing to move to VA in between Jun & Jul 2012
We are looking for a place that has all four seasons, as well as people who are friendly and down-to-earth. We'd like to live in an area that has trendy shops and restaurants, but also some local country flavor. We'll begin having kids in the near future, so we need an area with a good school system starting for year 4, 7, & H. school year 11.
If we had our choice, close to D.C. area. Please give us your thoughts if you live in VA or have spent a good amount of time there.
one of my son he is 11 years old are allergic asthma has the atmospere of texas.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
alzaben, muwaffaq

Read more: Where is the best place to live in Virginia? PLEASE ANSWER!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or