U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 17,202 times

Advertisements

freinds ... is any one lives in richmond VA, can advise me ? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 PM

8,141 posts, read 9,583,505 times
Why don't you recreate the question in a new post instead of one from 2 years ago...

Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 AM

19 posts, read 34,097 times
My BFF and I are looking to move to Virginia by the end of this year. She will be working in DC, we both have two 4 yr old children. We need a neighborhood that is safe and schools are very good. yet close enough for her to take the train or what ever it's called into DC (LOL). What do you suggest? I have lived in Los Angeles all my life Yet she was raised in Marylarnd and tells him it's best for kid's. This is why I am leaving my beloved LA for my son.So keep in mind I have never lived in a small town. I am very open to new things.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM

957 posts, read 1,300,713 times
MexGirl

You need to do two things:

1. Search the Northern Virgina forum. Dozens of people have asked the same sort of questions as you. There are hundreds of answers. Do your research and look at some of these first, it will gain you more credibility with forum members when you ask questions.

2. Post in the Northern Virginia forum. Your question is too vague, you need to be a lot more specific. Do you want to rent or to buy? Renting is emphatically recommended until you gain the experience to know our area very well, prices are some of the highest in the U.S.A. How much of a commute time can either of you endure in your nightmare worst scenario? What life-style factors are most important to you - walkability, good schools, bars and nightlife, yards, parks and recreation?

"The train or whatever it's called" is the metro, if you are close in. Further out, it's the Virginia Rail Express (VRE) which may be an option if neither of you mind an hour or two commute each way each day at a cost of several hundred dollars a month.

One key fact that you have got to keep in mind: Nothing in Northern Virginia (NoVA) is easy and cheap. Nothing. Repeat. Nothing.

You can do cheap(er) but your access to the city will be extremely difficult. You can do easy but you will find this very expen$ive. Both of you will need to make difficult decisions about what tradeoffs you can live with.

NoVA can be a great place to live with excellent education for your children, wonderful opportunities to learn and have fun and some of the best job prospects in the country. However, you need to come here with your eyes wide open to cope with both the good and the bad.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 AM

19 posts, read 34,097 times
ersatz

Thank you for your input. I will do as you suggest. My friend mention Richmond. This whole area is very new to me. Let's see how it goes.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,659,042 times
There are very good schools in the Richmond area and it is affordable by most accounts, but it is far from Northern VA / DC if that's where you want to be...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM

957 posts, read 1,300,713 times
Yes, you can commute from Richmond. Expect to spend 3 1/2 hours to 6 hours a day commuting, assuming there are no problems out of the ordinary. You can buy a monthly commuter pass on Amtrak for $810 (price as of 4/2012, this WILL increase).

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM

39 posts, read 95,945 times
According to me Fairfax is best place to live. You can enjoy a lot of celebrations while living in the apartments of Fairfax like music and performance, fall festival and light festivals etc through out the year. There are numerous private companies service the area. The city service provides cleaning services on relatively low rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or