U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 29,822 times

Advertisements

I got a DUI in CA Jan 09, completed classes, paid all fines, went throught the 6 mth suspension, licence reinstated, all is well. THEN i move to VA, get my licence and 8 days later in the mail I get a revocation, back dated no less, so driving illigally? Why did they give me a licence in the first place?I had put the DUI on my application. Funny thing is I called headquarters in Richmond to find out if there would be a problem before I moved to make sure... they told me no problem I would get my licence, if I was clear in CA. Called back after I rec'd the letter, and "opps, oh well, sorry she made a mistake" I'm told. Now I have NO licence. So I start all over again after all the expense (thousands of dollars) stuck in a motor home for 3 mths attending classes, and hotels. To find out they "made a mistake" and I am to be punished again for the same offence? Sounds illigal. Does a thief have to serve a sentence for the same crime in every state he moves to? just an example. The schools say they dont' know how long the classes are?? huh? What do I do now? Stuck in the boonies with no public transportation, no cabs, cant' go job hunting, OMG, I'm in hell again. only worse. If I'd stayed in CA I would be done with it all.
Yes I learned my lesson, I don't drink a drop anymore, it was my first offence, and .08. My bad, and I realized the consequences. Does anyone know what VA laws are as to what I do now? I'm ready to go to the lake and drown myself. NO lawyers, I paid thousands for one in CA, and everone in the class got the same sentence as me with no lawyer!
HELP...I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!....

Last edited by Leeii; 12-20-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: type o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM

542 posts, read 791,737 times
I honestly have no clue on how to proceed with this. It sounds like there was a miscommunication between the states. Perhaps you could get the DMV in CA to send the VA DMV proof that you already went through the necessary steps to receive your license. Either way good luck and I sincerely hope you never get behind a wheel drunk again, or even slightly inebriated. We have enough locals driving drunk, don't need new ones doing it here too!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,141,391 times
Plead the fifth.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM

43 posts, read 92,656 times
maybe it's because even with a first offense in VA it's a one year suspension, but I don't see how they could get away with that either. Sounds like someone in one of the DMV's dropped the ball.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,237,060 times
I hope the OP reports back to let us know what the outcome is. I'm interested now.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I honestly have no clue on how to proceed with this. It sounds like there was a miscommunication between the states. Perhaps you could get the DMV in CA to send the VA DMV proof that you already went through the necessary steps to receive your license. Either way good luck and I sincerely hope you never get behind a wheel drunk again, or even slightly inebriated. We have enough locals driving drunk, don't need new ones doing it here too!
Well if you read the to the end it states that I don't drink at all anymore, its not worth the hell I'm still going through...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
Well its been loads of fun talking to people who don't have a clue, but it turns out it IS because VA even on first offence requires 1 year suspension, so all my CA punishment doesnt't matter, I now have no licence in any state and yet I'm suppose to have a SR22 in CA and FR44 in VA. CA won't licence me here in Va so I am in violation there. Fed up, and being stuck in the woods with no public transportation I'm now trying to move back to CA where I've paid my dues, too bad the DMV of VA gave me misinfromatiion before I moved, it would have saved me thousands of dollars in moves,and now move back. and VA made me pay for the licencing, tags, county inspection, THEN revoked it all. $$
Sounds weird to pay twice for the same crime. Not a happy camper, and never was a big drinker, it was a celebration had some champaign, hadn't eaten and got stranded as the designated driver took off, and i lived 2 hrs away from where I was, and had just flown back from here after christmas last year. yeah I know my bad, but I paid my penance.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeii View Post
Well its been loads of fun talking to people who don't have a clue, but it turns out it IS because VA even on first offence requires 1 year suspension, so all my CA punishment doesnt't matter, I now have no licence in any state and yet I'm suppose to have a SR22 in CA and FR44 in VA. CA won't licence me here in Va so I am in violation there. Fed up, and being stuck in the woods with no public transportation I'm now trying to move back to CA where I've paid my dues, too bad the DMV of VA gave me misinfromatiion before I moved, it would have saved me thousands of dollars in moves,and now move back. and VA made me pay for the licencing, tags, county inspection, THEN revoked it all. $$
Sounds weird to pay twice for the same crime. Not a happy camper, and never was a big drinker, it was a celebration had some champaign, hadn't eaten and got stranded as the designated driver took off, and i lived 2 hrs away from where I was, and had just flown back from here after christmas last year. yeah I know my bad, but I paid my penance.
It also goes not by the offence date but the court date which is 6 more months.

Further more, never ever ever be honest with the cops, if you admit to anything your found guilty even with a lawyer...it cost me big time, besides the lies they put in the report. I used to respect the cops, no more.

Last edited by Leeii; 01-05-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,237,060 times
Darn! Sorry to hear how this played out for you. I certainly understand your frustration.

Good luck and I hop you get this situation behind you as soon as you can.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Thank you, I hope so too, moving is a huge pain in the ass and expensive. Cabin fever is getting the best of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia