U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 AM

278 posts, read 563,502 times

Advertisements

I think that the Republican party can do much better than George Allen. He has completely alienated a large percentage of our population. A senator theoretically represents all the people in the state and Mr. Allen has demonstrated that he cannot do this effectively. As governor, he tried to get Motorola to relocate to the Richmond area. Untold millions of dollars were spent putting in new roads, water lines and building an electrical engineering school at VCU. These efforts proved to be unsuccessful and much of the money was wasted. I think that CAVA1990 is correct about Mr. Allen being a bit too big with the religious moralism. The best thing the Republicans can do is have the new governor Bob McDonnell, do a good job while avoiding to tell people how to live and how to pray. I voted for Governor McDonnell and hopefully I will be proven correct in my judgment of him. As to Senator Webb, I also supported him, but have been disappointed in his fiscal policies and am keeping an open mind regarding who I vote for in the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,037,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
I think that CAVA1990 is correct about Mr. Allen being a bit too big with the religious moralism.
Actually I didn't say that at all about him. I was talking about the rest of the Republican party. Allen was more of a libertarian pragmatist and was not personally one of the religious zealots that's made the party here almost taliban-like. He was more of a Ronald Reagan (who governed California similarly) and worked well across party lines. He went to UVA and not one of those wacky fundamentalist "universities". I think he could bring some more moderate folks over to the Republican side.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:00 PM

30,113 posts, read 67,233,058 times
I wouldn't call the 2009 election a good indicator of the state "turning red" by any means. I had an Obama '08 bumper sticker on my sedan until I moved here. I happen to have voted for Mr. McDonnell for governor because even though I disagree with his regressive social policies I felt more confident that he was a better candidate overall to address the ills plaguing our Commonwealth. I didn't vote for him because I'm disillusioned with President Obama. I voted for him because Creigh Deeds just utterly failed the Democratic party. It's a shame that so many people voted for the straight Republican ticket, as I hated seeing a proud bigot like Ken Cuccinelli riding McDonnell's coattails to victory. Let's hope he doesn't end up embarrassing Virginia the same way Rick Santorum embarrassed Pennsylvania.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's a shame that so many people voted for the straight Republican ticket, as I hated seeing a proud bigot like Ken Cuccinelli riding McDonnell's coattails to victory. Let's hope he doesn't end up embarrassing Virginia the same way Rick Santorum embarrassed Pennsylvania.
I actually hope Cuccinelli does just that. Santorum managed to do a lot of damage to the PA GOP. If Cuccinelli's religious antics turn a lot of voters off of the Republican party here, that's a good thing for the Democratic Party. I don't want McDonnell to crash and burn, because that would really harm my home state, but if Cuccinelli looks like an idiot, the negative consequences to Virginia will be fairly minimal.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I actually hope Cuccinelli does just that. Santorum managed to do a lot of damage to the PA GOP. If Cuccinelli's religious antics turn a lot of voters off of the Republican party here, that's a good thing for the Democratic Party. I don't want McDonnell to crash and burn, because that would really harm my home state, but if Cuccinelli looks like an idiot, the negative consequences to Virginia will be fairly minimal.
Actually, very intriguing and interesting insight. Perhaps a lot of Democrats voted for Cuccinelli so he'd help to bring down the GOP in VA from the inside out. Santorum always ended up regretting opening his mouth, so one can only hope that Cuccinelli will follow suit and truly disenfranchise independents and moderates who will go rushing to the Democratic side.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,037,127 times
Tut tut, this isn't a Cuccinelli thread.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Tut tut, this isn't a Cuccinelli thread.
But, but, but...I just can't wait for him to say something like "women should be seen and not heard" or "gays spread AIDS through handshakes!" You just know it's bound to happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia