Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

PS: WTB Sticky.
I am relocating to Va from WV. It is just me and my 3year old son. I am in college currently online, but would like to attend on campus in VA. I don't have a job yet but would like to be close to a major city. I want to spend $500-$700 a month for a rent. I need at least 2 bedrooms and would like a house with a yard, not an apartment. I would be okay with a townhouse as long as it had a yard separated from the neighbors. I would like to live in a "suburbia-delight" area with low low crime. And I would like my son to attend a private Christian school. I would like him to start pre-k when he turns four. I would like to be closest to the east side of VA as possible. Would like shopping to be pretty close by. Any help would be great!!! Thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 87,197 times
Default Brilliant Idea!

Thank you and to answer your questions:

1: Working in Norfolk (naval base)

2: Renting: Willing to spend $1,800 per month
* Looking at the Hague/Ghent area - want a house, not condo.

3: Commute: (25) min. How long to Norfolk Naval Base?

4: Baby on the way (no school), but safe, well-to-do area. Child care (private)

5: Neighborhood (near water/view/canal etc). Safe, community (not suburbia), unique, lots of artisan stores, parks, common areas. No homeless, lower income housing areas close by.

6: Community areas: As long as not safe houses, drop in schools etc. Coming from a blue ribbon, upper class area, no homeless, lower income etc.

7: Rich cakes and desserts please.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM

847 posts, read 3,352,572 times
You guys would get more responses if you each created a new thread and put your posts there. There's a "create new thread" button on the upper left hand corner of the list of existing threads.

twebster: Ghent would probably be good for you, but you can't really expect to avoid all poor people in any city.

rysmommi: Try tidewater (Norfolk, etc.) It's more affordable than the DC suburbs, and it has beaches.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM

25 posts, read 95,372 times
Default I Figured you could help me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
You guys would get more responses if you each created a new thread and put your posts there. There's a "create new thread" button on the upper left hand corner of the list of existing threads.

twebster: Ghent would probably be good for you, but you can't really expect to avoid all poor people in any city.

rysmommi: Try tidewater (Norfolk, etc.) It's more affordable than the DC suburbs, and it has beaches.
Fairfax county fire dept.
Willing to spend up to $1200 per month for rent
2 - 3 bedrooms, with a yard, balcony....use of a pool of some sort
no more than 20 miles from 4800 W Ox Road, Fairfax
One child who will attend kindergarden next year
Family oriented community...a playground/park, possible to walk to some local shops.

We will be coming up the first week of April to view places to live. We need a place to move in by April 20th. Very tight time. Our issue is that we are from out of state ...and do not know much about VA. I have been reading a lot of reports on apartment complexes on apartmentratings.com and am very disturbed. Also what angers me is the income restrictions the apartment communities have..it's rediculous. I am getting different vibes on areas that we could afford such as Manassas, Woodbridge....I don't know what to do....we really need someones help that really knows the areas well. We are looking for a family oriented community and I do not want to land up in a gang, drug area. Please help.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 16,537 times
Sorry didnt see this thread before posting mine....I am truely unsure of where I want to live...Finding a job is most important right now...We have to move where the work takes us. Having small city excitement is a must, not interested in a huge commute...15-30 minutes at the max would be nice. Our daughter is graduating in May 2009, so having a good school for her isnt an issue but having a good school to teach in is a plus. We are addicted to the Outback Steak House, we like having fun things to do on the weekend, and want ways to keep active (local gym, biking trail, beach, etc..), an active community would also be great, so we have ways to meet other people and get established and feel welcomed.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 65,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Pie or cake?

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

PS: WTB Sticky.
I did not read your note before I posted mine. Can you help?. Follow area the answers of your questions:

-Where you are working?:
In Fairfax.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing:
From US$250,000 to US$ 350,000. We are looking for a Single Family Home with 3+ bedrooms.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate:
1Hr.
Private - Christian School.
Small town feeling.
No.
-Pie or cake?
Pie.

Thank you,

Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 18,451 times
Default Where to live in Virginia

Virginia is beautiful. I traveled through it about 20 years ago. It really stuck out in my mind. My question is do you have direct support care jobs their and are they all over virginia? I work in a group home and do they have those in Virginia? Thanks for any help.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Default northern VA living

hi, My husband interviewed for a large company in Arlington and I would like to know about some of the small towns that are less expensive for that area. I heard that Fairfax county is better but I have these concerns.
I have 3 children ages 14, 11 and 6 school is very important.
I would like a good neighborhood that I feel safe letting them play outside.
we can afford about 300,000 for a house.
comute isn't that big of a deal but my husband said if there is a metro type transport he would like that.

Thanks for any assistance you might have.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,123 times
Hello Everyone I am also from NY looking to move to Virginia. I am from the Long Island area and would also like to stay kind of close to the beaches. I am a HS Science teacher and would be looking for a teaching position. I am in my late 30's, single with no children, and am looking for an area that has more of a feeling of community and involvement. I would be looking to rent at first until I find the right place for me. Any suggestions on where to look for employment or a new place to call home would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you and incidentally - I love pie!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1981 View Post
hi we are investigating places to look at to relo too from KY (we are from AZ originally) My husband will be working in leetown WV. It says on mapquest 23 miles. I have heard not so good things about WV. Any real life suggestions. I am looking to rent a home for a while until i find the area I like. my son is only 14 months so schools are not of total importance yet. I am a mortgage broker so a growing area would be nice as well as good medical areas too.

any suggestions?
thanks and much appreciation!
Jessica

If the commute suits your husband (and I have never driven from Winchester to Leetown), Winchester would be perfect for you. It is growing, losts of new stores and Winchester Medical Center is a good hospital. Of course the housing market is bad just like everyplace else...but I think we are still growing. I think the schools are good also...if you are still here in a few years, they WILL be important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia