Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

229 posts, read 879,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Re your last paragraph: It's not opposition to upscale stores, ulta expensive restaurants -- those companies can look at the demographics/income distribution of Winchester and see that there isn't a sufficient population to support those stores. The Nordstrom in Dulles Town Center isn't even a full-size store and it's closing has been rumored for a while. If that part of Loudoun can't sustain a booming Nordstrom, there's no way Winchester (or Hagerstown, Cumberland etc) can entice them to open a store.

The funny thing about upscale stores and the valley is that Martinsburg at one time actually tried to get Nordstrom a number of years ago for Martinsburg Mall as their mayor ( forgot his name but he was also a taxi cab driver too as well as mayor ) anyway at the time he said on their radio about how he felt Martinsburg needs be a "Neiman Marcus kind of city..not a Wal-Mart/Sears TOWN". Of course that never happened but then again we are talking about MARTINBURG here.

Of course this is the same town who tried back in 1992 to get United Airlines only to lose out to a "small town" named Indianapolis. Now how on earth could Martinsburg compete with Indianapolis for anything is beyond me !! OK back to Winchester LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Does anyone in Winchester currently commute daily to Tyson's Corner or know of anyone who does? Are they sane and rational individuals? I'm the type of person who likes to take pride in where I live and likes to pitch in and get involved to make it a better place, but I just don't feel "attached" enough to Reston to get motivated much to do that here.
SB, I could've sworn someone on this Forum said that they commuted from the Winchester area to Ashburn???

I only know someone who commutes from Winchester to Chantilly, a 45-55 minute drive.

Hearing about your experiences, likes, and dislikes -- I think you might like it in Winchester.

BTW, I heard there's a fairly healthy gay population here? Others might know better than me . . . .

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
. . . The Nordstrom in Dulles Town Center isn't even a full-size store and it's closing has been rumored for a while. If that part of Loudoun can't sustain a booming Nordstrom, there's no way Winchester (or Hagerstown, Cumberland etc) can entice them to open a store.
That's cause those of us at the Dulles Town Center would go to Nordstroms, browse and get ideas, and then go over to Nordstrum Rack (right down the road) to see if we could get it for 1/3 of the price!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
SB, I could've sworn someone on this Forum said that they commuted from the Winchester area to Ashburn???
That would be me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx
I only know someone who commutes from Winchester to Chantilly, a 45-55 minute drive.
Perhaps by helicopter...

Seriously, it depends where in Winchester I guess...

Quote:
Hearing about your experiences, likes, and dislikes -- I think you might like it in Winchester.
Yeah, he would...

Quote:
BTW, I heard there's a fairly healthy gay population here? Others might know better than me . . . .
Can't help there....

Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,962 times
Quote:
Winchester to Chantilly is actually not that FAR when it comes to the many of commuters in the area. Actually one might be surprised to know that there is a rather large number of people in the Winchester area who commute to BALTIMORE every day to work. Thats a long drive but still people do it. I have been told that is the key reason why the local Winchester Comcast service continues to offer Baltimore's NBC 11 and CBS 13 on the local cable lineup to this day ( the only cable system in all of Virginia that still offers Baltimore TV BTW) and until a few years ago Baltimore's ABC 2 WMAR-TV was available in Winchester as well but that was dropped only because Winchester/Frederick County had received their own ABC-TV affiliate.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
Actually one might be surprised to know that there is a rather large number of people in the Winchester area who commute to BALTIMORE every day to work. Thats a long drive but still people do it.
So I would guesss that's about 1 1/2 hour drive?? Sooner, depending how fast one drives. Not bad; it's easier than driving into DC. Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I am sure there is a healthy gay population in Winchester but chances are they work in NOVA or Maryland so as a result they spend more time THERE and less time HERE. Not that Winchester or Martinsburg are gay friendly, they aren't..not by a long shot. Winchester for some unknown reason is a hotbed for "ex-homosexuals" EG: Exodus International or Love Won Out while the Martinsburg area is home of the infamous and very homophobic Shenandoah Bible Baptist Church plus Fred Phelps has supporters in the area too. It also need to be noted that neither city has a gay bar to call their own.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
Didn't that woman involved in the Vermont lesbian case also have some connection to Winchester?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Didn't that woman involved in the Vermont lesbian case also have some connection to Winchester?
Lisa Miller is her name. Interesting as it has already been said earlier, not much support for her in Winchester mainly because many in the area still believe Lisa is a lesbian despite her claims to be otherwise. A LOT of that was due to the fact that last year Martinsburg's WRNR Newsradio 740 and I believe the Northern Virginia Daily had looked into Lisa's backgroud and found that despite Lisa's claims of being an ex-lesbian, the woman still had very active profiles on a number of lesbian matchmaking websites and some of those profiles had made mention of the custody case she was involved with not to mention featuring private family photos too.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Changing gears a little here: I heard that free lightbulbs and toilet paper were handed out yesterday for Martin Luther King Day at the north part of the city--a day of volunteering for many young folks. I've never seen this done before. Does anyone know when this practice started? And why these types of products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia