Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 29,234 times

Advertisements

I am a young single male, i recently graduated college. My issue is I have never left Cincinnati. I have an itch to move away, after a lot of research and talking to a friend who is from VA. Beach, I am almost 100% convenced it's the place for me.

I need a 2nd opionion on Va. Beach

Jobs
Nightlife
Singles
Things to do in Va. Beach

please HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM

542 posts, read 991,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegards81 View Post
I am a young single male, i recently graduated college. My issue is I have never left Cincinnati. I have an itch to move away, after a lot of research and talking to a friend who is from VA. Beach, I am almost 100% convenced it's the place for me.

I need a 2nd opionion on Va. Beach

Jobs
Nightlife
Singles
Things to do in Va. Beach

please HELP!
I don't live in Va Beach, but have friends from there and have been numerous times. So take my opinion for what its worth. Honestly, the city looks and feels like a giant suburb, and truthfully, that's what it was meant to be, as the entire city at one time was I believe Princess Anne county and not a city. The actual Va Beach was a small community right on the oceanfront. The actual city in the area is Norfolk, at least historically as it has distinct neighborhoods with old historic houses and urban density. Va Beach is building a manufactured downtown area. In about 20 or 30 years it will probably feel more real to me, but now it feels like an overblown shopping mall.

I hear a lot that most of the jobs center around defense and government. But the area is large enough to find something I'm sure for whatever it is you do. I don't club so I don't know about the nightlife, but I get the impression that the Va Beach strip on the oceanfront is where the majority of the nightlife is. But tends to attract the wannabe thug types that just want to cause trouble. Don't quote me on this. Singles, I have no idea and won't even offer a vague opinion. As far as things to do, obviously you have the beaches, and the OBX are not far away either. For museums you have Nauticus, and the Chrysler museum of art, and the Va Zoo, and the aquarium. Williamsburg up I64 has a host of historical things to do and has Busch Gardens. Norfolk has tall ship cruises. I personally enjoy exploring urban landscapes and for me Norfolk is where some of the best neighborhoods for that are like Ghent and I believe Larchmont? Someone who actually lives here can correct that if I'm wrong.

I would strongly reccomend getting a second opinion from someone who doesn't live or came from there, as sometimes natural pride from where you came from can lead to exaggerated expectations. If you can visit I highly reccomend that also, so that you can get a feel for the place.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM

26 posts, read 75,186 times
Single guy in VA Beach is a win win to me, especially if you love the beach/ocean. Pay the area a visit and see what you think. Its part of a larger metro area. I love the area myself.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM

134 posts, read 544,979 times
Jobs - Very stable job market with all the government work around here.

Nightlife - Lots of bars/clubs around town. VA Beach Oceanfront and Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, Ghent, and Old Town Portsmouth all have their own little nightlife scene.

Singles - Maybe lacking here...there are a lot of single Military guys stationed here so be prepared for competition, luckily they go out to sea every few months...

Things to do in Va. Beach - We have water everywhere so if you enjoy boating, fishing, or the beach then you will love it here. This place is also a good base for traveling. DC is only a 3 hour drive if you need the big city life for a weekend. Mountains are about 3-4 hours west for ski trips in the winter.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 47,577 times
I agree with several comments already made. I grew up in Norfolk, but now live in Virginia Beach and love it. And yes, I suppose it's only natural to have a sense of "pride" if you do live here. But this town offers so much to so many. Nature, Nighlife, Sports, Fun, History, Culture, Family Events. I think you should come for a long weekend and check it out yourself. Visit the festivals, clubs, resturants, shows, attractions, etc, but also be sure to see the tucked away natural parks, remote refuges, and waterways. If you're a fisherman... this is heaven!

There's such an abundance of unspoiled nature and beauty in this area. Here's a link to all the things to do in Virginia Beach to get your started: Virginia Beach VA - Attractions Fun Boardwalk Museum Water Parks

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia