U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM

64 posts, read 172,966 times

Advertisements

I would like to visit The East Coast and need some help.
I've planned a trip to the East Coast starting 07 July 2010 till 22 July 2010.
I arrive in Miami and depart from Philadelphia.
I would like to stay a couple of days in Miami, then visit the Everglades. Hop to Orlando for Disney and Universal. Leave Florida via St-Augustine.
And now comes the problem : what is there to see and visit between Florida and Washington.
I'm interested in history, culture, nature, monuments and my family likes to go shopping and visit amusement parks
What about reservations for hotels or park tickets in general?
Any advise is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,018,884 times
I would check out the Williamsburg/Jamestown area. There is obviously tons of history there as well as a Busch Gardens. Also the Charlottsville area, lots of history, architecture, Monticello etc. And of course Washington, DC.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 AM

791 posts, read 2,459,593 times
Frank, please read my comments / answer to your question, in the "Maryland" forum. I hope you enjoy your trip to USA.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM

631 posts, read 1,140,770 times
Visit an Indian Reservation in the mountains! You could try the Smokey's in North Carolina, and speaking of N.C. you should go to the Outer Banks! Everyone on the East Coast has been there at least once!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM

798 posts, read 2,483,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I would check out the Williamsburg/Jamestown area. There is obviously tons of history there as well as a Busch Gardens. Also the Charlottsville area, lots of history, architecture, Monticello etc. And of course Washington, DC.
I completely agree with this suggestion.. Both areas are great but the Williamsburg/Yorktown area has tons of history as well as other things to do.. Bush Gardens Amusement Park, Water Park, outlet shopping.. Williamsburg/NewPort News is the closest airport bt Norfolk would also work.

http://www.history.org/visit/whatToSeeAndDo/

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,140,510 times
Frank, you have a lot on your plate to make a trip from Miami to Washington, especially to see as much as you would like! I think you are trying to see too much at first. I would suggest you make several trips to the U.S. or try to narrow down your visit to just the South or the Mid Atlantic area. If you don't you will spend most of your vacation travelling to all of these places and when you get home you would have seen very little! Amusement parks: Disney of course! History: Virginias' Williamsburg & Jamestown, Monuments: Washington DC and the culture capital is New York City(you shouldn't miss the Big Apple). Have a great vacation!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM

791 posts, read 2,459,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Frank, you have a lot on your plate to make a trip from Miami to Washington, especially to see as much as you would like! I think you are trying to see too much at first. I would suggest you make several trips to the U.S. or try to narrow down your visit to just the South or the Mid Atlantic area. If you don't you will spend most of your vacation travelling to all of these places and when you get home you would have seen very little! Amusement parks: Disney of course! History: Virginias' Williamsburg & Jamestown, Monuments: Washington DC and the culture capital is New York City(you shouldn't miss the Big Apple). Have a great vacation!
I replied to Frank's same question on the "Maryland" forum. I suggested he visit Charleston, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Raleigh-Durham, Colonial Williamsbrug, Busch Gardens, Jamestown settlement, Richmond, Charlottesville and Luray Caverns. I explained to him what each of those places has to offer and see.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,089,088 times
I think you'd be disappointed by Busch Gardens, seeing how (guessing from your handle) you are European and live among real European culture and architecture. That said, the rides are enjoyable, so your kids will have fun. You might enjoy Cape Canaveral on the way up from Miami. Ummm...Savannah, GA is a beautiful Southern city with lots of parks and architecture... Wilmington, N.C. is also nice. The Outer Banks starting on the southern end would be a blast to drive up -- you need to take a car ferry in a couple of places, though. Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg are all worth visiting and hopefully you'll get your share of nature, culture, monuments, etc., while your kids enjoy Busch Gardens.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 AM

64 posts, read 172,966 times
Thanks to everyone for their advise. I'm starting to get the idea.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,797,491 times
July 7 - 22 is not a long time. I think you should work out an itinerary including travel/driving times between places.

My $0.02:

Miami: Don't miss:
* The Art Deco District and its architecture
*Have lunch or dinner on Ocean Drive on South Beach
*Take a Duck Tour around the city and it also goes into the bay around the islands.
*For family and relaxation, go south to Coral Gables (an easy drive) and spend the day swimming at the Venetian Pools. It's pretty awesome: Coral Gables Venetian Pool
* On history, visit Vizcaya Mansion: Miami-Dade County - Vizcaya

Orlando:
* Which Disney parks are you going to? Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios? All of them? You could easily spend 1 week going to all of these. However, outside of Disney, there really wasn't much else to see, IMO. Theme Parks & Water Parks | Walt Disney World Resort
* Absolutely love Universal Studios! My favorite was Seussland (Dr. Seuss stuff)

My Suggestion:
Someone already mentioned Charleston, South Carolina. If driving, it's along the way. Don't miss:
* Horse carriage ride throughout the city - great architecture!
* Visit a few historic mansions and take the tours
* Ghost tour
* Restaurants - the food is great in Charleston

On your way through NC, be sure to stop and eat. They have regional favorites like pulled pork, homemade biscuits, banana pudding, and homemade sweet tea!

Washington, DC: Visit the monuments. Try to get a tour at the White House. The zoo is boring and not worth the visit, IMO. Visit the Smithsonian - lots of museums to choose from including American History, Natural History, Air & Space, etc. See:
Smithsonian Institution.

There are plenty of places to eat but if you're downtwon, try the Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, DC's oldest tavern. It's right across the street from the Dept of Treasury.

If you have time, New York City and see the sights.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or