U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM

603 posts, read 1,752,335 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,i posted a similar thread in Tennessee but a friend of mine was telling me about her experience in Virginia(she said she was in south central VA).I just want to get a general idea of if i'd fit in well.In my other thread i basically asked how people view "northerners".Of course people in NY have very bad things to say about any southern states.Things such as

"you'll never fit in"
"they hate northerners"
"its the bible belt and theyre obsessed with church"(im not very religious,im christian,but i dont go to church often)
"theyre hillbillies"

You get the idea.I cant say i believe any of that except that people hate NYers.Hey i dont blame you lol.Most people here are rude obnoxious snobs.I am not like that.Im pretty outgoing,friendly,keep to myself to some degree.Im a lover not a fighter

Since i know someone thats from VA and loved it,i have to look into it.This will be a big move.She keeps telling me how friendly people are.That they WILL wave at you.Around here,forget that.If i was to say hello to someone on a shopping line,or just try to start a conversation,i'd get a look as if i was crazy.Ive tried it before.People just suck here.

The main reason i want out of NY is the cost of living.The people are rude.It is way too congested.Nothing but big chain stores and car dealerships on every corner.I have a lot of animals and want some property and privacy.Example::Im laying in bed last night and i can see through my neighbors windows(my cats LOVE to chew my blinds lol so i have a few strands missing).To be perfectly honest with you all,id want to be able to dance outside in my underwear without anyone seeing!Im young so i would need to be somewhat near a bigger city for work.Ive always been in an animal related field.Currently work for a Town animal shelter,and ideally would love to stay in this field.But having a big old house with property has always been my dream.You only live once so why not just go for it you know?

Sorry this is so long,i could go on forever.Any information you can give me,id really appreciate it.Any websites with good info is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM

603 posts, read 1,752,335 times
Just read the sticky!!!Heres some more info!!Sorry!

*prefer to spend under $200k on a home.
*Dont really want a very long commute.It would depend on traffic.my drive to work now should be 15 minutes.There are so many cars on the road it takes a half hour sometimes more.Theres always accidents.every single day.So a half hour commute is not a big deal to me.
*I would LOVE a smaller town.Quaint. SAFE
*I dont need every chain store there is within a short drive.A restaurant/cafe,maybe a bar,convenience store,etc.Obviously bigger stores need to be somewhere nearby for big shopping,but a nice little general store for basic things would do just fine.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM

370 posts, read 881,788 times
Virginia is many things. Some areas will have hillbillies, some will have stressed out, rude people, others are exactly as your friend describes. I think as a general rule people are a lot more friendly and laid back here but there are always exceptions to the rules. Are you looking for a small town close to a major metro? Based on what I've heard so far you may want to explore Gloucester Courthouse, Staunton, Blacksburg, and Ashland to name a few. Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 PM

542 posts, read 787,600 times
I agree with the above poster. VA has just about a taste of everything. You will find your stereotypical redneck hillbillies, mainly in the far southwest and western parts of the state, and your NY types in NoVa outside of DC, you know, completely stressed out people in a hurry to pick my kid up from soccer practice in my fancy way overpriced luxury SUV on my way to or from my job that keeps me from ever seeing my family except for holidays and weekends.

Based on your price range I would investigate Roanoke. It's a down to earth place that is overlooked too many times. It's not a big metro, but it's not hicksville either. Other places to look into would be Richmond, tons of ex Ny'ers there and the Hampton Roads area(Norfolk/Va Beach). I'd suggest the DC area, but the prices for homes would put you out into the extra far suburbs like Culpeper, Front Royal or Winchester.

The Charlottesville area might interest you, but is way overpriced for the area. The University of VA is there which drives up the cost of housing. Just a general rule that I have noticed is that areas along or above the I-64 corridor have many people that have moved here from states to our north. And this whole region is under to some degree the influence of DC, whether it be jobs, media(I live in Staunton and get DC channels on basic cable 2.5 hrs away), culture, or sports. Below I-64 it starts to feel like another state to me. All of this is just my opinion and not regarded by many others, but I like observing people and movements and these are just some general observations of mine. Either way good luck with your possible move.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,124,332 times
Thumbs up Rude Obnoxious Snobs Here?

dogcrazy, if you want to escape "rude obnoxious snobs" PLEASE don't move to the northern Virginia suburbs. We are not hillbillies in Roanoke as many in the northern part of state believe, although you can find them in the more rural areas. As far as being a "yankee" is concerned I don't think you wlll find that problem as much in Virginia as in North Carolina, reading the posts.
Also, you will be able to find housing that is more affordable, large homes etc.
Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,771,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
. . .I'd suggest the DC area, but the prices for homes would put you out into the extra far suburbs like Culpeper, Front Royal or Winchester.
To the OP, we're a couple of ex-NJ/NYCers and have now moved to Winchester, in western VA, Shenandoah Valley. Lived in NoVA for 20 years and got tired of the sprawl life (with all its drawbacks described by many including the hurried lifestyle and suburban stuff). Anyway we love it so far. The people are friendly and we live in the historic district in town.

I wouldn't say that everyone in VA is a hick. In fact, I've seen just as many hicks in South Jersey (oops I forgot, Pineys are in central Jersey and hillbillies are in South Jersey!). Just as everyone says, you get all kinds of people in different parts of this very large state. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia