U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,558,328 times

Advertisements

My vote is still for Chesterfield. I agree with VA Yankee that when your husband does have to travel, he will be more centrally located to the major interstates if you are in the Richmond area.

One thing I would caution you is if you do purchase in Chesapeake, check if you are in military airspace. While parts of Chesterfield are pretty close to the Richmond airport, there is a big difference in the sounds of a commercial airliner versus military aircraft.

As to being in a location that is closer to your parents, that is something you have to decide for yourself. And as to the school systems, I think that when it comes to education, a child will get out of it what they put in to it. And children develop that based on the values they are taught at home. Teachers become teachers because it is what they want to do, and EVERY school system has wonderful teachers. Your children will do great no matter where you end up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM

15 posts, read 21,156 times
Thank you both so much for your responses!

VAYankee, all the points you brought up were all things that I am concerned about (it's almost like you read my mind)! I do have a thing for having to experience all four seasons - something would feel wrong to me if there wasn't a wee bit of nip in the air during Thanksgiving - Christmas.

And onevthoki - ultimately, you are 100% right about school & education. I want many opportunities for my kids, like everyone else, but well-rounded eduction to me is not just measured by standardized test scores. I find myself easily getting caught up in it though! I guess for taking a stab in the dark, not knowing anything about the area, I find myself gravitating towards these charts & numbers like a security blanket. There is that intangible value that I cannot see from here when assessing a new place - and its equally as important to me. It's going to sound corny but the values of the people overall, the sense of community & caring, ethical standards, etc. If I can have it all, great, but I won't forgo the latter for the former. I know this isn't something that someone can say - "gee, we'll you definitely belong in XYZ". But it does help when I hear people RAVING about their communities. I hone in and focus my research on those places first.

Speaking of which, I hear a lot of raving about Western Chesterfield. Upon looking into it I noticed that many of the homes were in very wooded areas w/ small lots that backed into woods. This is going to sound silly, and I am embarrassed even asking this but I am PHOBIC about ticks....(they PETRIFY me)!!! Is there an issue out near that whole Swift Creek Res? Woodlakes, SummerLakes, the Fox-this-and-that all sound very nice but....I am not down with too wooded areas, especially too close to the house, and they kind of look that way from pics I've seen. Are there more open spaces, with good amount of sun exposure? I need lots of sun, light, open space - WINDOWS, the more the better. Any suggestions?

My husband is planning a trip on Wednesday & Thursday to come down there and get a snapshot of Henrico and Chesterfield Counties (I wish I could go but my one year old does NOT do well on car rides). I have a feeling he will like Chesterfield better, he is also going to go as far down south to Colonial Heights (onevthoki, to your neck of the woods) He is obsessed with golf so I think he'll like what he sees as long as there is a nearby course to play.

Thank you all again for responding.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Hmmm, ticks.... It has been AGES since I've had a tick bite! We back to woods here and my son has been in the woods quite a bit with his friends and I haven't pulled one off of him either, so you should be pretty safe.

On western Chesterfield... it definitely has some good points; my first job out of college was actually over in the apartment community in Woodlake. When we relocated my husband asked me if I wanted to look in that area, but I told him no because of the distance from Fort Lee. (Why jump out of the frying pan and into the fire?? We left Fredericksburg because of his long commute.) More specifically, the traffic during rush hour to get from the Route 288/Highway 360 intersection over to the western communities on that 360 corridor. The good thing is there is a lot of retail over that way so you don't have to go too far to get what you need. You will also hear a lot of good things about the high schools over there.

Tell your husband good luck and send us a shout out if you have any more questions.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 21,156 times
Whew - Good to know about the ticks! I always seem to land in places where they are a problem. Onevthoki - I think we've been following each other around in locations - we're currently 5 min. from APG in a town called Belcamp. My husband and I have also done that nasty Moco, Nova commute for awhile (we were in Gaithersburg, I commuted every day to Dulles while he ran all over between the hospitals at Naval, Georgetown, and Walter Reed). That was NO JOKE - we'd have nothing left after a long day in that mess. I remember sitting on 495 during that summer of the Cicadas, it took me three hours to get home, with locusts pelting my windshield every two seconds. I was so miserable I started crying in the car! LOL But I digress.... Richmond commutes sound like a dream!!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1emari View Post
Richmond commutes sound like a dream!!
DEFINITELY!! My husband can get to Fort Lee in less than 15 minutes! And it certainly makes it easy for me to do my commissary runs!

You're in Belcamp? I wondered about that when I saw, but wasn't certain. It seems like ages since we left, but really only a little over 6 years ago. Loved my time at APG!

Hope your husband enjoys his excursion this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or