Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,306,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
If you have ever attended a uni please tell me about your experience. Thank you.
I attended a university in Virginia, and NEVER felt unsafe. I visited friends at many other Virginia schools while in college... and NEVER felt unsafe. Just my experience though.

There are psychos who walk into churches gun ablazing, killing scores of people. Does that make churches unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,698,153 times
ok thanks. last two comments made me think about this differently.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM

542 posts, read 989,083 times
While the VA Tech incidents are terrible tragedies and coincidence that two gruesome acts of violence took place there, and recently with the missing girl found murdered from the JPJ Arena in C-Ville, the media had their radar up from the initial massacre at Tech and like sharks smelling blood were all over any, and I mean any incident that we might have otherwise not heard about, maybe. The media will sensationalize any tragedy for ratings too.

As far as safety goes, I don't think any VA college or university is any safer or dangerous than any other institution in the USA.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM

66 posts, read 125,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I'm referring to the constant murder spree that seems to plague schools like UVA, VTech and ODU. What is being done to make these schools safer? I would have thought after V Tech massacre things would be safer but then right after that another person was beheaded in the cafeteria at the same school??
The "constant murder spree" ?!? Talk about hyperbole!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,103,462 times
I went to college in VA and never felt unsafe...with that said, I did have some impressions of the colleges I visited:

(1) ODU is in a less safe area of Norfolk, and you have to be careful. I don't think it has anything to do with the university itself or the people who go there.

(2) Va Tech just has a bad vibe to me... I used to go there a long time before the shootings, to visit. Can't quite figure out what it is, you know? Too many different types of a whole lot of people, plunked down in a rural area of VA? It's just too large and you don't stand out if things aren't going well for you? Most folks I have been friends with who are alumni didn't really like it, but that is only a survey of less than 10 people...

I never felt "unsafe" at Va Tech, just that it wasn't very appealing even back then: aka "Bleaksburg."

Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,698,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
I went to college in VA and never felt unsafe...with that said, I did have some impressions of the colleges I visited:

(1) ODU is in a less safe area of Norfolk, and you have to be careful. I don't think it has anything to do with the university itself or the people who go there.

(2) Va Tech just has a bad vibe to me... I used to go there a long time before the shootings, to visit. Can't quite figure out what it is, you know? Too many different types of a whole lot of people, plunked down in a rural area of VA? It's just too large and you don't stand out if things aren't going well for you? Most folks I have been friends with who are alumni didn't really like it, but that is only a survey of less than 10 people...

I never felt "unsafe" at Va Tech, just that it wasn't very appealing even back then: aka "Bleaksburg."
I know what you mean. I went for a tour and the vtech campus (after the shootings) and it seems way too wide for my tastes.

Last edited by Anders15; 05-03-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,647,996 times
UVa lacrosse player dead, another in custody | Charlottesville Daily Progress (http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/police_investigating_uva_student_death_as_a_possib le_homicide/55709/ - broken link)

Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,879,170 times
Default Unsafe?

Are you kidding? OF COURSE Virginia public colleges are unsafe!!
If I had kids considering going to Tech, VCU, UVA I would suggest otherwise!
We have never seen the violence that is going on now at these schools.
Not just the Tech murders but I haven't gotten over the beheading of one student down there! I guess everyone is so "neurologically impaired" toward football games their "brains" just don't work anymore!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,718,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Are you kidding? OF COURSE Virginia public colleges are unsafe!!
If I had kids considering going to Tech, VCU, UVA I would suggest otherwise!
We have never seen the violence that is going on now at these schools.
Not just the Tech murders but I haven't gotten over the beheading of one student down there! I guess everyone is so "neurologically impaired" toward football games their "brains" just don't work anymore!
Wow. Just wow. I hope you're joking.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,647,996 times
Several UVa students were robbed at gunoint in their home yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia