Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoe View Post
Concerts where big / bigger name acts play (other than country), professional sports, don't need bar scene all the time, but when I want to grab a brew, somewhere with a variety of peeps besides yokels and college kids. Kind of stuff I've been used to most of my life.

I second all that.

Two questions to the Pro-Lynchburg folks here.

A.) How much of Lynchburg do you see as "dead end streets"/slum etc?? I hardly ever visit the Boonsboro and most of what I see is a real trun off. Campbell Ave, 5th Street, Kemper St, Fort Ave (Lakeside Drive is a bit better but not exactly the environment that makes me say "Yeas, I am so happy I live here").
This is the Lynchburg I see everyday. Sure driving around Boonsboro or New London might be nice...but...

B.) Most people I meet are either BIG on Jesus & The Bible, no matter if they atten TRBC or not OR Rebel Flag-hard working Americans. How much of the poppulation do YOU put into either category. I am not interested in telling you, you are wrong. I am just trying to see Lynchburg through YOU eyes. I have good friends in both categories, however I wish there were I ran into a more diverse poppulation. When I say diverse, I do not mean Indo-Mauritian Frenchmen, West Frisian speaking Dutchmen etc, etc...just other types of people.
People who you can just chill and talk to without having to worry about not being "conservative enough" or "liberal" etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I second all that.

Two questions to the Pro-Lynchburg folks here.

A.) How much of Lynchburg do you see as "dead end streets"/slum etc?? I hardly ever visit the Boonsboro and most of what I see is a real trun off. Campbell Ave, 5th Street, Kemper St, Fort Ave (Lakeside Drive is a bit better but not exactly the environment that makes me say "Yeas, I am so happy I live here").
This is the Lynchburg I see everyday. Sure driving around Boonsboro or New London might be nice...but...

B.) Most people I meet are either BIG on Jesus & The Bible, no matter if they atten TRBC or not OR Rebel Flag-hard working Americans. How much of the poppulation do YOU put into either category. I am not interested in telling you, you are wrong. I am just trying to see Lynchburg through YOU eyes. I have good friends in both categories, however I wish there were I ran into a more diverse poppulation. When I say diverse, I do not mean Indo-Mauritian Frenchmen, West Frisian speaking Dutchmen etc, etc...just other types of people.
People who you can just chill and talk to without having to worry about not being "conservative enough" or "liberal" etc, etc.
Too tired to argue it again. There are other threads listing all the pros and cons of Lynchburg. We all know it is a small, politically conservative, predominately Christian, Southern city. For it's size, I think it has all the amenities for pleasant living. It's not for everyone; just like New York or San Francisco are not for everyone. The wonderful thing about this country is the freedom to pick up and move if someplace doesn't suit us.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:13 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Its faster and nicer to take 501 from Wards Road around to Boonsboro. You never see the nasty east side that way. I almost never have been on the east side--no reason to go. Maybe you need to move. I can rent you a nice house. ;-)

If most of what you see around Boonsboro is a turnoff there may be no hope. Have you driven out from Randolph College to the end of town on Rivermont/Boonsboro Rd?? Please tellme what's not to like?? Big beutiful old homes in good repair and large neighborhoods of similar off to both sides as you go past the hospital. Rides down Link or Langhorne are beautiful with big homes on large lots.

Reserve that day in late April for a real tour and dinner with me. We'll get to the bottom of this antipathy.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh, Boonsboro is nice, no discussion about that.
When I come to work I come in on US-460W so I hardly ever head up "your way".
(I referenced New london and Boonsboro as these parts do have a different feel then the rest of the town)
Sometimes I go to the Kroger there for some Devonshire cream or Mortadella (better not mention it to folks I know, because normal people do not eat this kind of food...apparently) or once a year or so to dine with a colleague to my wife. But that is it, sadly.

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 02-11-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 PM

136 posts, read 344,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Too tired to argue it again. There are other threads listing all the pros and cons of Lynchburg. We all know it is a small, politically conservative, predominately Christian, Southern city. For it's size, I think it has all the amenities for pleasant living. It's not for everyone; just like New York or San Francisco are not for everyone. The wonderful thing about this country is the freedom to pick up and move if someplace doesn't suit us.
Well when you are ready to argue again, what do you LOVE about Lynchburg?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Well when you are ready to argue again, what do you LOVE about Lynchburg?

Nah, I'm too old and tired to argue. We've been through this too many times. I'm happy; I also truly hope you can find happiness someday, too.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM

Oh, okay, I'm cooped up waiting for a repairman and since this isn't really arguing . . . .

The main thing I love about Lynchburg is the people. I find them friendly and pleasant. Wherever we have lived, we tend to do the same things to stay busy and make friends:

A church helps to immediately find a connection in the community and to get involved with outreach projects.
Husband (Rotary, golf)
Me (garden club, book club, tennis -- and getting frustrated attempting to learn golf )
Kids (now grown but lacrosse, golf, scouts, swim teams, horseback riding, church choir). All found everywhere you live.

Lynchburg specific:

The beautiful established neighborhoods.

Restaurants: Isabellas, Milanos and Cheesy Westerns from The T Room -- everyone needs to clog arteries occassionally (carry out, though, I'm waaay to old to hang out there!)

Shopping: Farm Basket, Silver Thistle -- love gardening and decorating

Exercise: Blackwater Creek Trail is beautiful for unclogging those arteries. The availability of public golf courses -- there are at least five within 20-30 minutes of town

Entertainment: mostly at home or restaurants with friends. When out of town friends with kids come, Amazement Square, Poplar Forest and lunch at The Depot.

The Maier Museum at Randolph College

I do completely understand and I'm not denying that there isn't as much for younger, single people. But, no matter where you live, you have to seek out your interests -- sports, community service, arts, whatever and get involved!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

136 posts, read 344,568 times
It all boils down to different strokes for different folks, doesn't it?

You see, if there were more going on in Lynchburg, you wouldn't find me here griping on the forum! Srsly

Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It all boils down to different strokes for different folks, doesn't it?

You see, if there were more going on in Lynchburg, you wouldn't find me here griping on the forum! Srsly
Absolutely! There isn't a utopia in the world -- read the NC/SC forums, everyone is looking for a panacea for their problems and seem to think the Carolinas are the promised land. The perfect place for everyone doesn't exist!

I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living, but you seriously should look for another place where you, too, will be happier. Best of luck.

p.s. even the Cheesy Western wasn't enticing?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The wonderful thing about this country is the freedom to pick up and move if someplace doesn't suit us.
Unlike other democratic industrialized countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia